Magic Spoon? Get outta here! How about Seven Sundays?

Dottleshead

2 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Too rich for my blood. I liked Malt-O-Meal from Minneapolis though!  But it seemed to loose shelf space, so now it is store brand serial for me. It must have artificial sweetener with so little sugar though, right?

Technically MOM is made in Northfield, HQ in Lakeville, but now owned by Post.

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, it sort of misses the point of "eat as much real food as you can, and try not to eat too much of it, and try to eat mostly plants."  

But is some ultra processed food better than other ultra processed food? @dinneR?

I have no idea, but I'll stick with oatmeal. The latest study seems to indicate it's not good.

https://theconversation.com/ultra-processed-foods-largest-ever-review-shows-many-ill-effects-on-health-how-to-understand-the-evidence-224806

• Thank You 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I'll stick with oatmeal.

I have eaten oatmeal instead of serial the last two mornings since we are oot of milk. Good way to cut oot sugar, although I had it with a touch of froot, like strawberries and blueberries. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Ralphie said:

I have eaten it instead of serial the last two mornings since we are out of milk. Good way to cut oot sugar, although I gave it with a touch of froot, like strawberries and blueberries. 

I put a lot of fruit in mine. Raisins, strawberries,a and blueberries.  A few seeds and nuts too.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, it sort of misses the point of "eat as much real food as you can, and try not to eat too much of it, and try to eat mostly plants."  

But is some ultra processed food better than other ultra processed food? @dinneR?

It’s the only processed garbage I eat. I do drink protein shakes and that stuff doesn’t grow on trees either. 

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

HUH???

I have often wondered about how healthy protein drinks like Premier Protein or MRE drinks are. Read the labels on some of those sometime. Probably ok but it’s one of those things that doesn’t occur in nature 

Because I have a protein drink every morning. I take my meds with it. I find it a good way to start the morning. Funny, I don’t eat cereal for breakfast. It’s usually an afternoon snack or maybe even dinner on nights I’m running behind.

51 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I have often wondered about how healthy protein drinks like Premier Protein or MRE drinks are. Read the labels on some of those sometime. Probably ok but it’s one of those things that doesn’t occur in nature 

This, plus a banana.  Nothing harmful here.

Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods Inc Almond Protein Powder-14 oz.-4/Case

I see an 8 oz. bag is $4.76 at Amazon and three 8 oz bags are $26.99!

I just paid $8.99 for a pound of sweet cherries at Wegman's, so I guess I'll splurge and give this a try when I see it in Costco, apparently soon in Maryland.

The company webpage says:

Real Cocoa is Rolling Out in Costco Nationwide

Posted by Brady Barnstable on February 23, 2024

It’s real! You can now buy our beloved Real Cocoa Sunflower Cereal at Costco NATIONWIDE!

Costco Launch Timeline:

Now available in: All Midwest, Northwest, San Diego, and Texas locations
Launching early March: Northeast and Southeast regions
Launching early April: Los Angels region

Find Your Costco Region: 

Bay Area:

Northern California: Bay Area, Sacramento Area, and the central valley
Nevada: Reno, Carson City, Sparks

Los Angeles:

Los Angeles County, some of Orange County, San Bernardino County, Santa Barbara County, and the Antelope Valley
Hawaii

Midwest:

IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, ND, NE OH, SD, WI

Northeast:

CT, DC, DE, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA, VA, VT

Northwest:

AK, ID, MT, OR, UT, WA

San Diego:

San Diego County, AZ, CO, NM, and some cities in UT and NV

Southeast:

AL, FL, GA, MS, NC, PR, SC, TN.

Texas:

TX, and some cities in KS, LA, and OK

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ralphie said:

I have eaten oatmeal instead of serial the last two mornings since we are oot of milk. Good way to cut oot sugar, although I had it with a touch of froot, like strawberries and blueberries. 

It actually has 12.5% sugar (5 g per 40 g serving) but most cereals today have 25% or more - including some muesli types.

Cereals like Cheerios and Kelloggs Corn Flakes have 3% to 5% sugar and I like to add 1/2 a banana, a few strawberries, and a handful of blueberries along with 30 Cal/cup Almond Milk.

There's an excellent flakes & clusters cereal sold with store-brand names like Oats & More with Almonds at my local Harris Teeter, Walmart, and Food Lion supermarkets that's 17% sugar that I eat as a change of pace with fruit.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

It actually has 12.5% sugar (5 g per 40 g serving) but most cereals today have 25% or more - including some muesli types.

Cereals like Cheerios and Kelloggs Corn Flakes have 3% to 5% sugar and I like to add 1/2 a banana, a few strawberries, and a handful of blueberries along with 30 Cal/cup Almond Milk.

There's an excellent flakes & clusters cereal sold with store-brand names like Oats & More with Almonds at my local Harris Teeter, Walmart, and Food Lion supermarkets that's 17% sugar that I eat as a change of pace with fruit.

Yeah, I use a touch of that store brand oat cluster serial with fake Chex or fake corn flakes or fake bran flakes. It is good stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out this good w/ macadamia nut milk (Milkadamia) and a good tool to use when trying to pursue weight loss.  I repeat it is the only heavily process stuff I eat and I only have it like 3 times a week.  I can live with that minimal risk (for now).  

I just had two scrumptious bowls of this chit.  Sure it's highly processed.  Sure it's on the pricier side.  But it doesn't fatten me up and it tastes pretty good.  Who cares if my brain turns to rabbit turds and I grow cancer out my ears.  It tastes good, damn it!

20 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I just had two scrumptious bowls of this chit.  Sure it's highly processed.  Sure it's on the pricier side.  But it doesn't fatten me up and it tastes pretty good.  Who cares if my brain turns to rabbit turds and I grow cancer out my ears.  It tastes good, damn it!

f01d5f20b7dc013c3fbd005056a9545d

• Like 1