LOBOS!!!!!!!!

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

5 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Ummm the tournament doesn't start until Thursday (Wednesday technically). Ahem.  The NCAA tourney that is!

League tournaments!

Or how some teams qualify for the NCAA national tournament.

Elitist. 

2 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Reread the last line of your response in my response. Give me 8 teams please.

I don't do brackets and I no longer do fantasy teams even for NASCAR.  I find that takes away from the enjoyment of just watching a game or a race.  I always worry how my brackets or teams are doing.  Except for following the two UCONN teams I just watch the games.

It bothers me that the fan base of some local teams shrinks "because they are not winning".  It's a game folks.  Gambling changes that fun quotient.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

as a matter of principle

Talk to me. On what principle? I’ve just been following UNM men’s basketball and the Mountain West. Isolated from any larger issues. 

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Talk to me. On what principle? I’ve just been following UNM men’s basketball and the Mountain West. Isolated from any larger issues. 

The principle of requiring basketball teams to have high enough performance or win league championships to get in. My Alma mater isn’t playing that game.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

The principle of requiring basketball teams to have high enough performance or win league championships to get in. My Alma mater isn’t playing that game.

So everybody gets a trophy? 

• Thank You 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't do brackets and I no longer do fantasy teams even for NASCAR.  I find that takes away from the enjoyment of just watching a game or a race.  I always worry how my brackets or teams are doing.  Except for following the two UCONN teams I just watch the games.

It bothers me that the fan base of some local teams shrinks "because they are not winning".  It's a game folks.  Gambling changes that fun quotient.

Yeah I'm not suggesting you put a bet on it.  I'm simply asking you to pick the 8 teams you think will be in the elite 8.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Gambling for no money is even less fun

Dude, you need to go gambling and redirect you frustrations and hate somewhere else.  I was simply asking you who you liked.   But it's clear to me you neither know or care -- which puts you in a similair position as myself.  I'm meeting a friend to watch the games this week and I am totally clueless this year.  I don't even know who the teams are or how they are ranked.  I was hoping to get a little insight before Thursday or Friday when I meet up with her so I'm not a fish out of water.  But that's ok, I'll be that fish out of water and you can call me Wanda if you'd like.

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

But it's clear to me you neither know or care -- which puts you in a similair position as myself

We are all waiting for bracketing before making choices about who will be the winning teams. The East and South brackets are set, as of this message. Waiting for West and Midwest. 

18 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Yeah I'm not suggesting you put a bet on it.  I'm simply asking you to pick the 8 teams you think will be in the elite 8.

Here are Dickie V's Final Four picks:

• UConn
  • Baylor
  • Kentucky
  • Tennessee

The longtime ESPN college hoops analyst has Kentucky, a No. 3 seed, winning it all this year. Vitale is clearly a big believer in Wildcats star freshman Reed Sheppard.

"Here is my VBDI ‘s FINAL 4 & my NATIONAL CHAMP BABY ! KENTUCKY to WIN it ALL!" he wrote on social media.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I blame @jsharr

Is this due to my overall disdain for basketballing?  I will watch some games, and I appreciate the athletes.  Much like @BuffJim's alma mater, I was never very good at basketball.   I think my Figthin' Texas Aggies made it into the tournament as a 9 seed.  I expect them to make a pretty early exit.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Is this due to my overall disdain for basketballing?  I will watch some games, and I appreciate the athletes.  Much like @BuffJim's alma mater, I was never very good at basketball.   I think my Figthin' Texas Aggies made it into the tournament as a 9 seed.  I expect them to make a pretty early exit.  

They've been somewhat inconsistent this year.

26 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I think they are consistently inconsistent in basketball.

When I went to A&M in the mid-70s I went to a few games. To my dismay, they played well early in the game and then just frittered things away and eventually lost. I think the coach was Shelby Metcalf. After a while, I lost interest and quit going to the games. Tough to take having just left a very good basketball school in University of Arizona where we got to watch a lot of good teams and games. We are basketball fans as most of the schools we attended had better basketball teams than they did football teams. This is an exciting time of the year for us. Saw several good games the other day from conferences I seldom watch. Glad I subscribed to SLING for the month.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

UNM is getting mixed appreciation. Comments have them either losing to #6 Clemson in the first game, or making it to the sweet 16. 

Like always, just opinions. There are teams that are consistently good, but there are those that can peak and really get hot during tournament time. That is what makes it exciting to watch. I was watching the championship game for the WAC the other night, and saw the best player in the WAC miss free throws early in the game, to the point the announcers talked about it, but he did not miss one down the stretch when it counted. One just never knows. Just keep the faith!

How'ed you like the California coached that was fired the other day, and then the team made the tournament?

Monson was fired last week after 17 seasons at Long Beach State, but was allowed to coach through the postseason. His team, which finished the regular season 18-14, won the Big West tournament as a four seed, punching a ticket to the NCAA tournament for just the second time in his tenure.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

When I went to A&M in the mid-70s I went to a few games. To my dismay, they played well early in the game and then just frittered things away and eventually lost. I think the coach was Shelby Metcalf. After a while, I lost interest and quit going to the games. Tough to take having just left a very good basketball school in University of Arizona where we got to watch a lot of good teams and games. We are basketball fans as most of the schools we attended had better basketball teams than they did football teams. This is an exciting time of the year for us. Saw several good games the other day from conferences I seldom watch. Glad I subscribed to SLING for the month.

I was a basketball fan from the beginning.  When I was stationed in Norfolk I got to watch all the big name south east teams play on my black and white tv every weekend.  Those were the days of North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Duke and the 4 corners offense where it was possible to see a 4-2 half time score.  There was no shot clock and some of those teems would hold the ball for minutes waiting for "the shot".

Later after I got married, Womaxx and I worked as event staff for the UCONN basketball team.  They were not division one.  They played in a drafty fieldhouse with a leaky roof.  The coaches name was Dom Perno and Calhoun was a name not even on the horizon yet.  Womaxx was security at the door to the players locker rooms and became somewhat infamous for not allowing a referee in before a game because he didn't have his name on a list she had.

So I made it through the bad years and the watched through all the national championships as UCONN became one of the powerhouse basketball schools in the country.  The women's team came along somewhere in that time frame and became my fan favorites.  Another record round of championships and a new style of basketball for women.

Number one seed this year and if they can avoid the slow first half starts they might back to back.  After all, no one even saw them coming last year.

The women may do well, but playing with only 7 players left on the roster they will struggle.  They have to tone down what historically is a very fast paced game on both offense and defense.  They may have an 8th player back this weekend.

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was a basketball fan from the beginning.  When I was stationed in Norfolk I got to watch all the big name south east teams play on my black and white tv every weekend.  Those were the days of North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Duke and the 4 corners offense where it was possible to see a 4-2 half time score.  There was no shot clock and some of those teems would hold the ball for minutes waiting for "the shot".

Later after I got married, Womaxx and I worked as event staff for the UCONN basketball team.  They were not division one.  They played in a drafty fieldhouse with a leaky roof.  The coaches name was Dom Perno and Calhoun was a name not even on the horizon yet.  Womaxx was security at the door to the players locker rooms and became somewhat infamous for not allowing a referee in before a game because he didn't have his name on a list she had.

So I made it through the bad years and the watched through all the national championships as UCONN became one of the powerhouse basketball schools in the country.  The women's team came along somewhere in that time frame and became my fan favorites.  Another record round of championships and a new style of basketball for women.

Number one seed this year and if they can avoid the slow first half starts they might back to back.  After all, no one even saw them coming last year.

The women may do well, but playing with only 7 players left on the roster they will struggle.  They have to tone down what historically is a very fast paced game on both offense and defense.  They may have an 8th player back this weekend.

We attended basketball games in the 60s when Bill Green was an All-American at Colorado State University.