speaking of drafting paper & blue prints

bikeman564™

I'd say most of the time I used vellum or bond paper, then a few times used mylar. Drafting on mylar was fun and required a specific lead type. Vellum is thin, and care needs to be taken when erasing.

Blue prints are cool :) I made some from stuff I drew. Interesting process. The paper that is turned into a blue prints is light sensitive and is kept in black plastic bags until its used. mmm ammonia :D

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Growing up, my favorite store was a stationary store.  You went there to find drafting boards, triangles and stencils as well as paper, ink, pencils and art supplies.  All of mine are gone now like most of the hobby shops.

Somewhat local to me, I've been here several times back in the day and its still open. All things drafting & art.

https://www.dickblick.com/stores/michigan/dearborn/

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'd say most of the time I used vellum or bond paper, then a few times used mylar. Drafting on mylar was fun and required a specific lead type. Vellum is thin, and care needs to be taken when erasing.

Blue prints are cool :) I made some from stuff I drew. Interesting process. The paper that is turned into a blue prints is light sensitive and is kept in black plastic bags until its used. mmm ammonia :D

Vellum is all I ever used.  My first job was in a department with about 25 drawing boards and a large blueprint room.  My board was right outside the blueprint room door.  I have fond memories of the ammonia smell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Blue PRINTS or Blue LINES?

yeah, one of dad's pet peeves.

Once I got out of high school, it was mostly mylar.  Be REAL careful erasing with an electric eraser!

Anyone use Crolux to reuse existing drawings for new designs?

• Like 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

yes

is the difference in how they were printed?

The process was the same, but backwards.

Originally, the prints were blue background, white lines.  Pretty old and rare.  Someone quickly  figured out how to reverse that and make the paper white and lines blue,