Our HS school band

about 6 weeks ago they had a rough time when  the truck and trailer carrying their instruments to a competition crashed on an icy road. truck and trailer were both totaled.  Many of the instruments didn't survive.  They missed that show but were back the next week.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

My high school's marching band was the joke of the school - and the county.

Later, when teaching high school, our band was nationally ranked and led by a teacher who wrote some of the background music for Hollywood movies. including Hairspray.

One day, my sister, BiL and I were in the faculty parking lot after school - we came to the school after visiting our mother who was recovering from ear surgery in a nearby hospital - and the marching band marched through the lot.

They were playing John Phillip Sousa's Washington Post March and it sounded fantastic.

My sister's mouth fell open in amazement. "There are high school bands that can play like that?"

I've thought of her saying that when I try to comprehend why people have an unusual perspective about things in our society.

People's perspectives often come from their experiences and often those experiences aren't normal - like my high school's awful band.

Later, my sister's son - the one that's now a UAL flight attendant - studied Alto Sax in the Prep Program of the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins Univ. (I paid for the lessons) and became lead sax in his middle school and high school band.  I don't think my sister would have supported all that if she hadn't been in that parking lot that day and the band hadn't marched through.

Here's Ryan (top right) in a multi-state middle school competition in Virginia, where his school's orchestra came in 2nd and the awards were given the next day at Kings Dominion amusement park.

RyanDorrLongHairTopRight.thumb.jpg.07dd9ada430e91740953c6c5af08e13f.jpg

Ryan, the same day with his mother and with our engineering cousin Stanley, who had retired from the Navy after serving in Brussels with NATO where he was on the team that refined countries weapon designs so the ammo, etc. from one country fit the weapons from the other countries.

SANY0139.thumb.JPG.3c9460c0107814a417733c1a46b0bebf.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Like 1