Anybody ever try one of those piggyback carriers like Mint, Visible, or Consumer Cellular?

Dottleshead

Mint runs off of T-Mobile network and is a hecka lot cheaper.  The big downside is their calls are not prioritized so all T-Mobile customers get access to the network first. This includes data plans.  I've read for some folks this is nothing while others in concentrated areas experience delays.  I'm curious if anyone out there currently uses Mint or something else like Verizon Visible plan?  I pay for 3 lines and I could cut my bill by close to 50-60%.  But if performance is going to be an issue, then olvídelo.

The biggest companies are called MNOs, or Mobile Network Operators. MNOs create and maintain their own cellular networks. When you purchase a phone plan from an MNO, you’re being given access to a phone plan that operates on the company’s own telephone lines, 4G/5G networks, and other operating services.

On the flip side, there are smaller, lesser-known service providers called MVNOs, or Mobile Virtual Network Operators. MVNOs do not own their own network—instead, they lease their network space from MNOs at a discounted rate and then connect their customers to this leased network space.

As a customer, here’s what you really need to know about MNO and MVNOs:

MNOs

• Pro: Your calls, texts, and data are prioritized along the network, meaning your speeds rarely slow down.
  • Con: You pay more for your phone plan, as you’re helping pay for the maintenance of the entire network.

MVNOs

• Pro: You pay significantly less for your phone plan, as MVNOs do not have to maintain a network.
  • Con: You may experience slower data speeds at times from a practice called “throttling,” in which an MNO restricts the data use of MVNO customers along their network.

Spectrum uses Verizon's network. I switched from Verizon to Spectrum last year and I'm saving about $100 a month. The only downside is if the network is busy, Verizon customers are first. So far, I've never noticed a slowdown.

Spectrum has their own secure Wi-Fi network all over the place. Often I'll look down at my phone and instead of being connected to 5G, I'm connected to Wi-Fi instead.

34 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I switched from Verizon to Spectrum last year and I'm saving about $100 a month.

My Verizon bill is only $99.16 a month for our 2 phones.  

I suppose could save some money If I switched...   I've never took the time to look for cheaper service.

The only reason we use Verizon, was AT&T did not provide enough signal strength inside our old home, zero bars.   

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

Looks like Verizon bought them out and may only be good thru November of this year. You happy with them? I guess so.

https://extras.tracfone.com/en/VolteCentral?expiration_date=07/15/22&udf1=75

Looks like the transfer may go smoothly. Remember we do not rely on our cell phones as much as many of you do. I talk and text, and my wife only talks. I take a few photos but not many.

https://www.tracfonewirelessinc.com/en/verizonacquisition

Just hope the costs do not go up too much.

• Like 1

I'm still with Verizon, but looking to possibly try out another carrier.  A number of people in my condo complex have tried some of the other carriers and seem pleased - but I don't expect many people here are heavy phone/data users.   I'm thinking I may get a cheap phone and try the other carrier for a few months before I switch over my main number.