Petite, I may need your help.

Parr8hed

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I have never seen a Unimog dealership in the USA, I doubt they are available here. I was making a joke.

Well, I got no kids to worry about, so as long as we keep this joint livable - in my neck of the woods, at least - for another 60 years or so, I'm increasingly getting more willing to pollute and destroy the planet for my marginal gain.

Tom

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45786690

Why you have (probably) already bought your last car

I'm guessing you are scoffing in disbelief at the very suggestion of this article, but bear with me.

A growing number of tech analysts are predicting that in less than 20 years we'll all have stopped owning cars, and, what's more, the internal combustion engine will have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

Yes, it's a big claim and you are right to be sceptical, but the argument that a unique convergence of new technology is poised to revolutionise personal transportation is more persuasive than you might think.

The central idea is pretty simple: Self-driving electric vehicles organised into an Uber-style network will be able to offer such cheap transport that you'll very quickly - we're talking perhaps a decade - decide you don't need a car any more.

And if you're thinking this timescale is wildly optimistic, just recall how rapidly cars replaced horses.

34 minutes ago, dennis said:

d if you're thinking this timescale is wildly optimistic, just recall how rapidly cars replaced horses.

Not in my neighborhood. We have more horse traffic than car traffic any day of the week.

as far as electri cars go, by the time they get from town out to my house i’d Have to wait for them to recharge before I could go anywhere.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

"Only"???? Yowza.

Tom

I guess everyone is different.  I look to buy vehicles 2-3 years old with 25-50 K miles on them.  My truck was 2 years old with 22k miles on it.  I have pretty good luck this way.  Most cars will get to 200k.  If I can buy a newish car with 150K left on the odometer for about 30% less than new then I will do that every time.  

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I guess everyone is different.  I look to buy vehicles 2-3 years old with 25-50 K miles on them.  My truck was 2 years old with 22k miles on it.  I have pretty good luck this way.  Most cars will get to 200k.  If I can buy a newish car with 150K left on the odometer for about 30% less than new then I will do that every time.  

Bought my latest car this way.  2017 model.  30k on the clock.  Paid less than half of the original window sticker.