Collecting - What's Next?

Razors Edge

So, we all are collecting stuff.  As mentioned in the "Collecting" thread, there is a pretty wide variety of stuff folks choose to collect, and it got me thinking - especially Wilbur's donation comment - that there is a sort of "and then what?" aspect to it.

So, what happens next to all the stuff we collect? Is there a transition plan? A thought out donation plan? A "it's my kids' problem" plan? An "I don't care" plan?

I've got no kids, so I've been passing significant childhood stuff to my nieces & nephews with the comment to them & their parents (my siblings) to do with it what they choose and I won't be offended.  That covered the kids stuff I had sitting around - Matchbox cars, steam engine, toy cannons, etc..  My grown up stuff will have to be sorted differently, but will likely be a "we're tossing/donating/selling this if no one calls dibs and gets it first" sort of thing.

I have never understood collecting stuff just to have it.  The only thing I might be considered to be collecting are musical instruments, but I actually use most of them.  The ones I don't use to make music are used for decorating purposes, and were given to me, I didn't actively go get them.

But that's just me.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I have never understood collecting stuff just to have it.  The only thing I might be considered to be collecting are musical instruments, but I actually use most of them.  The ones I don't use to make music are used for decorating purposes, and were given to me, I didn't actively go get them. 

But that's just me.

We, as I mentioned, "collect" Christmas tree ornaments.  As everyone who decorates a tree needs something to put on it, it is really wonderful to look at our tree and reminisce about a trip or an event.  They come out in December and come down in January (maybe February :whistle: ) but provide a lot of enjoyment several times in those couple months.

My collections include my hats, my sport coats, my books, my fairies/art my patches and some hunting equipment.  There is no ‘plan’. If my kids want them to remember dad with, they’re theirs. If not, dispose of them.   

@12string,  most of what I collect I use. They are simply things that make me happy. 

The coins that I collect have some value. If nothing else, most will still fit in a vending machine except for the pennies.

However I have a lot of other 'stuff' which will be junk to my children. One of my goals next year when I retire is to fill up my garbage can every week with 'stuff' that I don't need to keep.

9 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

However I have a lot of other 'stuff' which will be junk to my children. One of my goals next year when I retire is to fill up my garbage can every week with 'stuff' that I don't need to keep.

I hear you. I just inherited a house filled to the brim.