Dancing card gettin' full

shootingstar

So am lining up my visits with loved ones, and close friends … oldest niece is looking forward to a Thai meal together.  Glad I "guessed" a good place ..out of 1,000+ restaurants in Toronto. It's in a neighbourhood that she models /sorta uses in the novels she writes.

She loves Toronto and it's good to be with someone who shares that with me.  I don't want to grow old and afraid of big, dynamic busy cities. They offer a lot to do, see and to learn.  I used to live there for quite a number of years. My niece is not a teenager, she's over 34+ yrs. old.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I don't want to grow old and afraid of big, dynamic busy cities.

I'd hope that's not really a thing.  Growing old doesn't equate to growing fearful.  I'd think growing old, in most folks, is just a further cementing of previous beliefs, so the fearful just remain fearful, but are also no longer willing to just "give it a try".

Folks who like the "country", like the country.  Folks who like the "city", like the city.

Enjoy your dinner. It is fun to do things like that. 

I don't think that old and fearful of cities is really the matter.  It think it might just be old and fearful of adventure or change.  I don't like big cities now so being old likely wont change that.  I dont want to grow old and fearful of not trying new things or stopping to do things I do now (like saying I'm too fearful to ride horses or sail or run on snow covered trails).

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

It think it might just be old and fearful of adventure or change.  I don't like big cities now so being old likely wont change that.  I dont want to grow old and fearful of not trying new things or stopping to do things I do now (like saying I'm too fearful to ride horses or sail or run on snow covered trails).

I highlighted your words, Airhead.  

Toronto, compared to some other cities, is generally safe in the people busy areas.  I'm always amazed how some people perceive as it a den of evil, crime, etc. Meanwhile I live in a smaller city about half population of Toronto and there continues to assaults, home invasions and some shooting in the suburbs.

But right, would I go on a mountain trail that I was unfamiliar solo....most likely not. I don't have a good sense of direction and locals hiking the visible mountains right against the city in Vancouver, have gotten lost and had to be rescued.  Some of those trails run 20 km. or more in real forest areas with occasional bear, etc.  Over the last 2 decades, several women cyclists have each told me individually, here in the city (in Toronto, Vancouver) don't want to cycle solo on paved MUPs through the interconnected paths.  They worry they'll get a flat, or ….I'm not sure what else.  They feel they must go with someone not because they will get lost but because of.....?( Since it's easy to ride on short bike paths and not get lost and get to buildings/civilization within 5 min. by bike).

I personally think it's safer for a woman to bike solo on a paved MUP bike path in parks with trees, etc.  because one simply rides faster/moving faster than jogging along solo.

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

Enjoy your dinner. It is fun to do things like that. 

I'm looking forward to it.  We'll probably get into a discussion ranging from engineering to romance novels.  (I told her, she could easily corner the market with her real life experience out in the field as an engineer.  So she has some novels that feature heroine as career STEM woman....secretly on hunt for love..)

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd hope that's not really a thing.  Growing old doesn't equate to growing fearful.  I'd think growing old, in most folks, is just a further cementing of previous beliefs, so the fearful just remain fearful, but are also no longer willing to just "give it a try".

Folks who like the "country", like the country.  Folks who like the "city", like the city.

This is a thing with my brother.  He’s pushing 60 and is getting weird about travel and going new places.  I had to travel with him to Portland last year, he refused to travel on his own.  A few years prior he refused to travel solo to DC for our oldest brothers funeral.  

I’m thinking it’s more of an anxiety issue than anything else...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

This is a thing with my brother.  He’s pushing 60 and is getting weird about travel and going new places.  I had to travel with him to Portland last year, he refused to travel on his own.  A few years prior he refused to travel solo to DC for our oldest brothers funeral.  

I’m thinking it’s more of an anxiety issue than anything else...

I'm wondering if something happened to him but he hasn't told you yet.  I am ..60..so your brother's fear is abit unusual of travelling in the US, his own country solo.....

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm wondering if something happened to him but he hasn't told you yet.  I am ..60..so your brother's fear is abit unusual of travelling in the US, his own country solo.....

He tells me a lot as we speak weekly,  I don’t know what could have happened but maybe. He doesn’t travel for work nor does he go anywhere for vacation.  His life revolves around a 30 mile bubble.

In a few months I'll be eighty, and have had a pretty active life, having at one time having X-country skied, sailed a boat, paddled a Sea Kayak, Hill-walked, cycled thousands of miles solo on bike tours in foreign lands and parachuted when in the Airborne. I've always been very confident, but age and ill-health can change all that to the extent that things which were once given little thought become obstacles and are to be dreaded. Once you have had difficulty in remembering even simple things, such as what day it is, and have fallen on your face a few times in the middle of a busy street, then you have to face the fact that you are not the person you once were......you become less confident and your self-image becomes diminished. Becoming old is not for the faint-hearted....dear me  no.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

In a few months I'll be eighty, and have had a pretty active life, having at one time having X-country skied, sailed a boat, paddled a Sea Kayak, Hill-walked, cycled thousands of miles solo on bike tours in foreign lands and parachuted when in the Airborne. I've always been very confident, but age and ill-health can change all that to the extent that things which were once given little thought become obstacles and are to be dreaded. Once you have had difficulty in remembering even simple things, such as what day it is, and have fallen on your face a few times in the middle of a busy street, then you have to face the fact that you are not the person you once were......you become less confident and your self-image becomes diminished. Becoming old is not for the faint-hearted....dear me  no.

Yes, true. Just hope not to fall in the path of a car..