My memory is getting worse

maddmaxx

My son and I went out for breakfast this morning and it was one of those typical "to huge to eat" breakfasts.  I put half of it in a take out box.  Then I got up, put my jacket on and drove home via the pharmacy.  About an hour and a half later I realized that the box must have been left on the table in the restaurant.  Not going back now.

Oldtimers diet.

I went out for lunch and got a sandwich from Firehouse Subs.  As I got back to the office I realized I had eaten just a bit too much.  Should have gotten the small instead of the medium.  I think I ate it all.  I know I did not leave it on the table.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Oldtimers diet.

I went out for lunch and got a sandwich from Firehouse Subs.  As I got back to the office I realized I had eaten just a bit too much.  Should have gotten the small instead of the medium.  I think I ate it all.  I know I did not leave it on the table.

But, do you have a lesbian style haircut?   Asking for a friend..  :) 

• Heart 1

I remember one time we were all gathered at Jennies, you remember Jennies don't ya ? Best damn home fries, And do ya remember that waitress, cute ass & funny as hell.......

What were we talking about.......sandwiches ?

The Wheel was the place for sandwiches. Remember the cheese steak on..........

It's reached the point where I need a food shopping list which I keep as a memo on my smartphone with headings for each store.  I speak or type it onto the list as soon as I realize I need it or I'll forget.

Even then, I'm getting forgetful.  I'll get home from a several store shopping trip and, on the way into the house, think I forgot to buy something. Then I'm surprised to see it in my shopping bag!

I'm reading a book, Your Memory, how it works and how to improve it (c. 1996) by Kenneth L. Higbee. I like it because it's written by a college professor and researcher who has spent decades trying his methods on college students and isn't one of those parlor trick guys who write books with unsubstantiated methods. One technique is to keep a mental "house" where you store things you need to remember in specific rooms, which makes them easier to retrieve from memory when you ask yourself what's in each room.  Maybe I need a mental general refrigerator, refrigerator fruit drawer, freezer, cupboard, cabinet, and spice shelf for food shopping!

I'll start now for my next trip: veggies for soup, and croissant breakfast sandwiches in the freezer, horseradish in the refrigerator, bell peppers and pears for the fruit drawer, coffee for the cabinet.  Uh, maybe I better stick to writing it down!