Within 10 years of your birth

jsharr

18 minutes ago, Zealot said:

9BBD2F0D-1F75-4031-AF42-2CD6AB5E1271.jpeg.a254f7e37753bef21a632e582193746f.jpeg

My high school friend had a Chevelle. He was very good at build engines that made lots of hp.  It I recall it was a 396 with dual 4 barrel carburetor with tunnel ram intake,  It idled at 2400 rpm and it would rev close to 7500+ rpm.  Geared low, a 5:38 rear end.  When he raced it with drag slicks it would lift the front wheels off of the ground.   This guy could shift a 4 speed nearly as fast as any modern automatic transmission.    That's what it sounded during a run at the track.  He would shift from first to second gear with the front wheels off of the ground most times during a race.   (You can't do that with my Prius.)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

My high school friend had a Chevelle. He was very good at build engines that made lots of hp.  It I recall it was a 396 with dual 4 barrel carburetor with tunnel ram intake,  It idled at 2400 rpm and it would rev close to 7500+ rpm.  Geared low, a 5:38 rear end.  When he raced it with drag slicks it would lift the front wheels off of the ground.   This guy could shift a 4 speed nearly as fast as any modern automatic transmission.    That's what it sounded during a run at the track.  He would shift from first to second gear with the front wheels off of the ground most times during a race.   (You can't do that with my Prius.)

This is a notorious problem with front wheel drive automobiles.

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Nor with my Dart... 😉 

My first car was a 69 Chevelle. But it was a Malibu. Nothing like the machine you described here!  😃 

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Why did he have the idle set so high?  Most idle below 1000 rpm?