I vibed an aqaintence about riding again

Dirtyhip
Go to solution Solved by smudge,

Guys are so much easier to be friends with.  They are direct with you.  No games.

She is actually very swift.  She was right with us on the hills this last chic ride.  Her courage with the techy downs will come with more riding.  She is very strong and I try to tell her that all the time.  I want girls to ride strong and get faster.  That way I have more riders to push me as well.

whatever

DH, I know what you mean about it generally being easier to hang with guys than women. Totally agree. Except for maybe when we are including Nate.   :whistle:

Somewhere back in this thread someone suggested not telling her you're doing a Strava thing first. Probably best advice you got here. Just pick out a time POSTstrava to meet. If she suggests earlier, just blow it off as you have a couple errands to run and can't do the earlier time.   If it's more than that to her complaining, then just avoid her. Her insecurities are HERS, not yours.  Not worth hanging out with someone like that.

And you'd better not stop posting about your riding! I totally enjoy all the crazy stuff you do!  ;)

DH, I know what you mean about it generally being easier to hang with guys than women. Totally agree. Except for maybe when we are including Nate.   :whistle:

Somewhere back in this thread someone suggested not telling her you're doing a Strava thing first. Probably best advice you got here. Just pick out a time POSTstrava to meet. If she suggests earlier, just blow it off as you have a couple errands to run and can't do the earlier time.   If it's more than that to her complaining, then just avoid her. Her insecurities are HERS, not yours.  Not worth hanging out with someone like that.

And you'd better not stop posting about your riding! I totally enjoy all the crazy stuff you do!  ;)

Thank you.  A sane woman!  

I guess Strava and what I do in my time is my dirty little secret.   :huh:

or you could just try being cool to the girl who knows she can't keep up with you :P

I held back and made sure she wasn't dropped at every trail connect.  I never let her be left for dead.  I wasn't even pulling the front for the time she was with us. Mid pack and nothing but encouragement.

Each of us will have our own expectations about a ride. This isn't a problem on solo rides, but it could complicate things on a group ride. If one wants a training ride or a technical challenge and another wants a leisurely ride to the coffee shop or the pub, neither one will be happy. 

The slower and the more "social" the ride is, the harder it is to lead.  For a slower ride, somebody wants to ride slower, some faster, some will take a shortcut.  There was one ride I was leading last year where we had 5 miles or so of 2% uphill false flat.  The group was all strung out.  I drifted back to ask the last rider if he was going to ride "all the way to the next turn?"  He tells me yes.  I ride ahead to the turn, and to check on faster riders.  I wait there 15-20 minutes, only to get a call that the guy took a shortcut and is at the coffee break.

After that ride, if someone is not at the pre-designate regroup, I wait 5- max 10 minutes, then roll.  Everyone has the opportunity to print a map or cue sheet for the ride, and I take a few extras with me.

with a faster club, it is a hammer fest.  You know you have to work to keep up, or you get dropped.

The slower and the more "social" the ride is, the harder it is to lead.  For a slower ride, somebody wants to ride slower, some faster, some will take a shortcut. 

Yup and the person that cares ends up playing jackrabbit.  Umm...that would be me.

Oh but wait, I am an evil person that just cares about vibing people and riding fast.    :rolleyes:  :whistle:

Like I said...I can't win this game.  

Yup and the person that cares ends up playing jackrabbit.  Umm...that would be me.

Oh but wait, I am an evil person that just cares about vibing people and riding fast.    :rolleyes:  :whistle:

Like I said...I can't win this game.  

Evil? No, not you. 

You've got your own cool way to ride and I'm in awe of some of your mountain bike stories.