From What I Know, It Tastes Just Like Chicken

Razors Edge

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Sure it’s unsettling but is it because dolphins are cute marine animals?  Or because of the over harvest?  

Personally I would have a hard time eating dolphin, seal or whale meat but if I grew up in the Arctic I would probably feel differently. 

I don't know.  Sort of like eating gorilla, chimp, or orangutan???  I figure it's all on the table or folks need to actually think through their eating - and its consequences. 

There will be NO consequences for me eating as much (or just killing for fun) different types of animals out there. I'll be dead before the world feels the full impact of that stupidity, BUT maybe thinking about the place these higher level animals hold in the eco-system is important, and moving past simple cultural reasons for doing things.

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't know.  Sort of like eating gorilla, chimp, or orangutan???  I figure it's all on the table or folks need to actually think through their eating - and its consequences. 

There will be NO consequences for me eating as much (or just killing for fun) different types of animals out there. I'll be dead before the world feels the full impact of that stupidity, BUT maybe thinking about the place these higher level animals hold in the eco-system is important, and moving past simple cultural reasons for doing things.

It is interesting what animals we consider food and what animals we don’t.  

Many decades ago there was a huge debate over pacific steelhead, a protected species being hunted to near extinction by seals, another protected species.   The seals would mass at a river mouth during the migration & wipe out the spawn. 

Certain groups trying to protect the steelhead we’re trying to get the DFG to move or capture the seals or disturb them enough so they would leave.  Their efforts didn’t work, It seemed people didn’t give a rats ass if the fish went extinct, just don’t disturb the cute seals. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Sure it’s unsettling but is it because dolphins are cute marine animals?  Or because of the over harvest?  

Personally I would have a hard time eating dolphin, seal or whale meat but if I grew up in the Arctic I would probably feel differently. 

It's unsettling because, like chimps, bonobos, gorillas, and oragutans, dolphins are marginally sentient beings.

• Heart 1