Disecting Who Knew What When in Ray Rice Case

Nate

Ok, so by now we all know Ray Rice knocked his girl out and dragged her out of the hotel elevator like a sack of potatoes

But the sports "news" shows and social media are all going into all these details about who in the NFL office and Ravens organization knew what and when di they know it

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but why don't the networks put this kind of an investigative effort into:

• Benghazi
  • Fast and Furious
  • IRS targeting
  • VA administration
  • the border crisis
  • the new war with ISIS

I mean, if they are going to trump up a case against Roger Goodell and the NFL, can you imagine if they actually applied that sort of work ethic to investigating ACTUAL scandals and issues that really effect our country?

I'm not trying to say that knocking your bitch out isn't a big deal, but damn...I caught some of Sportscenter yesterday and you would think we were watching the Watergate hearings

• Heart 1

...I caught some of Sportscenter yesterday and you would think we were watching the Watergate hearings

Remember Howell Heflin, the mush-mouthed senator from Alabama? He was excruciating to watch.

Did you see him steal the chickens?

No

No

No

No

No

Ok, so by now we all know Ray Rice knocked his girl out and dragged her out of the hotel elevator like a sack of potatoes

But the sports "news" shows and social media are all going into all these details about who in the NFL office and Ravens organization knew what and when di they know it

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but why don't the networks put this kind of an investigative effort into:

• Benghazi
  • Fast and Furious
  • IRS targeting
  • VA administration
  • the border crisis
  • the new war with ISIS

Probably because most of the viewers don't give a shit about your list of topics.

• Benghazi
  • Fast and Furious
  • IRS targeting
  • VA administration
  • the border crisis
  • the new war with ISIS

I mean, if they are going to trump up a case against Roger Goodell and the NFL, can you imagine if they actually applied that sort of work ethic to investigating ACTUAL scandals and issues that really effect our country?

I'm not trying to say that knocking your bitch out isn't a big deal, but damn...I caught some of Sportscenter yesterday and you would think we were watching the Watergate hearings

It's because of things like Ray Rice and the general popluation's engrossment in such tripe that we don't have any real investigations into things like the IRS scandal or fast 'n furious.   The roman emporer used sports to keep the population distracted as well.

so what I'm hearing is that liberals don't want to actually look into how our country's affairs are being handled (I could understand that, if I was a liberal, I wouldn't want to think about that either)

and I think CL is right, this is the distraction so we can get our ya-yas out without actually investigating anything

then I've said before how sports "news" programs don't have to worry about facts in the same way that actual news reports do, and so they can just tee off

but it still astounds me how shallow our society really is

It's because of things like Ray Rice and the general popluation's engrossment in such tripe that we don't have any real investigations into things like the IRS scandal or fast 'n furious.   The roman emporer used sports to keep the population distracted as well.

Seriously though, those 'news' issues are YEARS old....no legitimate news agency is interested in them anymore. They're dead horses that have been beaten several times already.

he probably wants to feed the christians to the lions.....or tigers, or what ever they have in kenya.

Humph, call me when somebody finds some real Christians instead of all these wannabes who think they know what being religious means.....all the real ones are fossilized by now.

Isn't wife beating in the Bible btw??

so what I'm hearing is that liberals don't want to actually look into how our country's affairs are being handled (I could understand that, if I was a liberal, I wouldn't want to think about that either)

and I think CL is right, this is the distraction so we can get our ya-yas out without actually investigating anything

then I've said before how sports "news" programs don't have to worry about facts in the same way that actual news reports do, and so they can just tee off

Even FOX news is covering this, the holiest of holies! You gotta know, if they're gonna interrupt Benghazi for this.....

Seriously though, those 'news' issues are YEARS old....no legitimate news agency is interested in them anymore. They're dead horses that have been beaten several times already.

Watergate brought down an entire administration

the hearings took place in 1973, a year and a half after the break-ins

That our government sold guns to drug dealers,  sicked the IRS on its political enemies, stopped enforcing immigration laws to get the Mexican vote this November, and failed to do anything at all about a serious terror threat is a hell of a lot more serious than some football player's domestic violence case

none of those issues dogging Obammy fall into the "old news" category, those are all serious issues

considering we impeached Tubby for getting a blow job, how is Obammy given a pass for actual abuses of power?

Watergate brought down an entire administration

the hearings took place in 1973, a year and a half after the break-ins

That our government sold guns to drug dealers,  sicked the IRS on its political enemies, stopped enforcing immigration laws to get the Mexican vote this November, and failed to do anything at all about a serious terror threat is a hell of a lot more serious than some football player's domestic violence case

none of those issues dogging Obammy fall into the "old news" category, those are all serious issues

While these may be important issues, the media's job is to report the news, not make the news.

While these may be important issues, the media's job is to report the news, not make the news.

yea, but why is it that we the American people will go ape shit over who in the NFL front office saw the elevator tape when nobody cares how ISIS got its shit together in a place we conquered just a few years ago...or how the IRS destroyed emails and stonewalled a congressional investigation...or how big wigs in the VA got huge bonuses while veterans died waiting for health care

I mean any one of these issues was WAY less than what we impeached Clinton over, ever way less than what Nixon did (he used the CIA to subvert an FBI investigation in case you forgot)

so why is it that Americans will have a social media firestorm over transgressions in their sports teams and not give a rip about their own country?

• Heart 1

There were plenty of investigations into Benghazi, IRS, Fast N Furious and the rest of the items you listed.  FOX news didn't report that Congress found that nothing was amiss so you didn't hear the results.

• Heart 2

There were plenty of investigations into Benghazi, IRS, Fast N Furious and the rest of the items you listed.  FOX news didn't report that Congress found that nothing was amiss so you didn't hear the results.

The issue, as I see it, isn't that it wasn't investigated. 

It's that the American people don't seem to give a shit what has become of our country.  It's not even a question of legality as much as it is moratlity and ethics.   The law should be the bare minimum on the scale of ethics....for far too many, it has become the yardstick by which they measure behaviour.

I don't understand why what the NFL did to "punish" Rice is such a big deal anyway.  He should have been punished by the judicial system, not the NFL.  Since when is the NFL or any business responsible for what their employees do in their private time?

Whatever sanctions taken against Rice for his transgression should be a matter between management and the player and the Player's Union.  Why the public is involved is a mystery to me. I heard some sports guy last night say that the NFL MUST take the lead in the fight against domestic violence.  WHY?  Why is this the responsibility of the NFL?  Should the NFL lead the fight against murder, rape, bank robbery, assaults...?  It's the NFL, not the FBI.

you miss the point. What I'm saying is that this level of scrutiny we are subjecting the NFL to right now needs to be the level of scrutiny we subject our government representatives to. I think one thing that 20 years of fierce polarization have done to America is to make us all tone deaf to issues involving the actual governing of America

I mean, why will Americans hold a social media weenie roast over the transgressions of a ball player but not give a shit about the issues that face our country?

I don't understand why what the NFL did to "punish" Rice is such a big deal anyway.  He should have been punished by the judicial system, not the NFL.  Since when is the NFL or any business responsible for what their employees do in their private time?

Whatever sanctions taken against Rice for his transgression should be a matter between management and the player and the Player's Union.  Why the public is involved is a mystery to me. I heard some sports guy last night say that the NFL MUST take the lead in the fight against domestic violence.  WHY?  Why is this the responsibility of the NFL?  Should the NFL lead the fight against murder, rape, bank robbery, assaults...?  It's the NFL, not the FBI.

I think I know the answer...women

jocks want to say what women want to hear so they can get laid. Its as far as they got in the study of mathematics:

beefcake + says shit chicks want to hear = booty time!

the inexorable logic is inescapeable

So why isn't the media all up in arms that the judicial system and the state legislatures are mostly ineffective in dealing with domestic violence issues?  Let's focus on the people who are supposed to react and take the appropriate action on these things instead of the perpetrator's employer.  Why is the NFL to blame?  Millions of domestic violence cases in this country each year and the only one that is apparently important involves a pro football player.   :(

The 'public' buy tickets. Fewer people buying tickets  because of murderers, rapists, and wife beaters on your teams, means less tickets sold.

So why isn't the media all up in arms that the judicial system and the state legislatures are mostly ineffective in dealing with domestic violence issues?  Let's focus on the people who are supposed to react and take the appropriate action on these things instead of the perpetrator's employer.  Why is the NFL to blame?  Millions of domestic violence cases in this country each year and the only one that is apparently important involves a pro football player.   :(

Probably because of attitudes like this....

The issue, as I see it, isn't that it wasn't investigated. 

It's that the American people don't seem to give a shit what has become of our country.  It's not even a question of legality as much as it is moratlity and ethics.   The law should be the bare minimum on the scale of ethics....for far too many, it has become the yardstick by which they measure behaviour.

What 'has' become of our country?

McDonald's is still around, I've yet to have to worry about being drafted, my taxes are somewhat fair, if not arguable, I live in a country where, most places I go, I feel safe. I DON'T worry about our government oppressing me, I can indeed pretty much do anything I want, from collecting Nazi fighter plane models to watching Japanese Godzilla movies, and wearing costumes for Halloween at work. My vote counts in local elections at least, I proudly served my country (and would do it again if asked), I still fly the flag, and feel the desire to sometimes (if I had a lawn), I still call the police instead of running away from them, if needed. WW3 hasn't happened yet, gays can get married, religious oppression is lessening, racial equality is at least getting some hard looks, etc, etc.

Life is good. Stop being a fucking boob.

The overriding thing to take away from this is that people care about football, dammit!  

The NFL also cares about chicks, seeing that we all popped out of one at one time or another.  They want chicks to watch football, or at least talk about player's asses while they drink beer at sports bars and talk amongst themselves about who, besides their significant others, they would love to bang while the guys they came with get drunk and make wagers and talk about who, besides their significant others, they would like to bang.

Anyway, this is a great scandal because we know what happened, we know the scope is understandable, and we don't care about what happens to the management types who are now forced to backtrack and figure out a way so they can appear that had a good read on the situation and the public reactions to this would be when the dust settled.  Not once did any of them just say "These guys are pumped full of 'roids and testosterone, taught since grade school to be as aggressive as possible and that nobody will really squawk about any wrongdoings if you are really good and can help us win on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (depending on chronological age and circumstance), so what the hell do you think would happen?  We aren't choirboys here, so STFU and be glad that some of them are civilized".

What 'has' become of our country?

McDonald's is still around, I've yet to have to worry about being drafted, my taxes are somewhat fair, if not arguable, I live in a country where, most places I go, I feel safe. I DON'T worry about our government oppressing me, I can indeed pretty much do anything I want, from collecting Nazi fighter plane models to watching Japanese Godzilla movies, and wearing costumes for Halloween at work. My vote counts in local elections at least, I proudly served my country (and would do it again if asked), I still fly the flag, and feel the desire to sometimes (if I had a lawn), I still call the police instead of running away from them, if needed. WW3 hasn't happened yet, gays can get married, religious oppression is lessening, racial equality is at least getting some hard looks, etc, etc.

Life is good. Stop being a fucking boob.

gee....what has become of our country? 

We go to wars with little reason, other than oil.   We are willing to use our our govt. apparatus to detain people indefinitely.  Some people I've seen actually defend the concept of using the IRS to squash political competitiors.

What has become of our country......sheesh.

All massively good points.  The ONLY reason for the suspensions is to put a prettier face on the situation, the teams all want their stars to play every Sunday no matter how shitty of an excuse for a human being they are.   They would be better off letting the law discipline the offenders and just play their players.  If a particular player becomes so toxic as to impact ticket sales, then the teams should just make a business decision to deal with their own PR mess, rather than the league.

• Heart 1

gee....what has become of our country? 

We go to wars with little reason, other than oil.   We are willing to use our our govt. apparatus to detain people indefinitely.  Some people I've seen actually defend the concept of using the IRS to squash political competitiors.

What has become of our country......sheesh.

Where was FOX news on these issues in 2005, I wonder? Hell, I'm still pissed off about the Iraq war being launched for no damned reason, but I don't expect the news to cover it every goddamned second like that idiotic Benghazi nonsense. I'd rather see them cover what's happening in Libya right now, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, this side of the pond, is bothering to do that.

I think the 'defending' you're talking about was the argument that political groups attempting to disguise their real intentions as if they were charitable organizations (to dodge taxes) had something to do with that, chiefie.

But nevermind all that,,,,OLD news. Been the same f'ing deal since 2001. But sure, I guess that IRS story, which is nigh on what, 2 years old now, has every bit the signal flag that this country has gone to utter hell.

What's so funny is that you guys are so immune to the issues happening right now in the world, you'd rather see coverage of your political hotpoints than anything else, like detailed coverage of the Ukraine 'crisis', (much more of a crisis than our stupid border issues, to be sure), the Syria war, Iraq, politics in Russia, hell, politics in Zimbabwe, or the Ebola thing, etc, etc..... None of these are apparently signs of any sort of hell on Earth, but BENGHAZZZZIIIIIIIII

You're still living here...why don't you leave if it's so bad?

Where was FOX news on these issues in 2005, I wonder? Hell, I'm still pissed off about the Iraq war being launched for no damned reason, but I don't expect the news to cover it every goddamned second like that idiotic Benghazi nonsense. I'd rather see them cover what's happening in Libya right now, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, this side of the pond, is bothering to do that.

I think the 'defending' you're talking about was the argument that political groups attempting to disguise their real intentions as if they were charitable organizations (to dodge taxes) had something to do with that, chiefie.

But nevermind all that,,,,OLD news. Been the same f'ing deal since 2001. But sure, I guess that IRS story, which is nigh on what, 2 years old now, has every bit the signal flag that this country has gone to utter hell.

What's so funny is that you guys are so immune to the issues happening right now in the world, you'd rather see coverage of your political hotpoints than anything else, like detailed coverage of the Ukraine 'crisis', (much more of a crisis than our stupid border issues, to be sure), the Syria war, Iraq, politics in Russia, hell, politics in Zimbabwe, or the Ebola thing, etc, etc..... None of these are apparently signs of any sort of hell on Earth, but BENGHAZZZZIIIIIIIII

You're still living here...why don't you leave if it's so bad?

ahhh...the good old fall back by most liberals.  "FOX New!!!!!" blah, blah, blah! 

Face it, you are part of the problem.  And why don't I leave? Cause it's still worth fighting for.

• Benghazi
  • Fast and Furious
  • IRS targeting
  • VA administration
  • the border crisis
  • the new war with ISIS

This was a poor rant, btw.

ahhh...the good old fall back by most liberals.  "FOX New!!!!!" blah, blah, blah! 

Face it, you are part of the problem.  And why don't I leave? Cause it's still worth fighting for.

Um, I used Fox news because they still cover all this old sheot that you guys just bitched about. Kinda like when, you bitch about liberal media influencing everything, you ignore the fact that Fox news is around spreading its stupidity to the masses.

How am "I" part of the problem? I'm trying to get rid of idiots like you, turning this country into another part of Afghanistan with your backwards religious nonsense.

If there was ever anything to fall back on btw, it'd be you idiots as the primary example, still trying to rustle up Benghazi after everything that has since happened to that city in the intervening years...... not that you would be aware of it......

Olas...I was just picking some random issues. Don't get too hung up on which ones I enumerated. I didn't have the time or inclination to list the full litany of fuckups that Obammy has presided over

just go out and loiter menacingly in front of a church and you'll fell better

Um, I used Fox news because they still cover all this old sheot that you guys just bitched about. Kinda like when, you bitch about liberal media influencing everything, you ignore the fact that Fox news is around spreading its stupidity to the masses.

How am "I" part of the problem? I'm trying to get rid of idiots like you, turning this country into another part of Afghanistan with your backwards religious nonsense.

It get's old.  Fox news is part of the problem, but then again so are those who use it constantly thinking they are making some sort of point.   

Those who have fallen for the total divide and conquer and those who have let themselves be easily distracted are the problem.

Olas...I was just picking some random issues. Don't get too hung up on which ones I enumerated. I didn't have the time or inclination to list the full litany of fuckups that Obammy has presided over

just go out and loiter menacingly in front of a church and you'll fell better

Uh huh.... maybe you should attend one for once...you might learn something, eh? All that hate you have must be burning up your loins. I'm sure there's some children in there to abuse, and women to beat.

Uh huh.... maybe you should attend one for once...you might learn something, eh? All that hate you have must be burning up your loins. I'm sure there's some children in there to abuse, and women to beat.

you have an interest in my loins? :huh:  

It get's old.  Fox news is part of the problem, but then again so are those who use it constantly thinking they are making some sort of point.   

Those who have fallen for the total divide and conquer and those who have let themselves be easily distracted are the problem.

How is it that Fox is part of the problem and you aren't? (doing the same thing)

How is it that Fox is part of the problem and you aren't? (doing the same thing)

you assume that I pay attention to Fox News...or MSNBC, or Communist News Network. 

I am not and will not be a part of the two party system.  It is designed to divide the people, and once they are divided, you end up with the shit we have now.  The false narrative is that the country is a Democratic Republic.  It used to be.....it is now a corporatacracy, and you fight to sustain it as such,