7 deaths In Panama City in 9 days

Chris...

Seven people died over nine days this month at Panama City Beach along the Gulf Coast of Florida, the National Weather Service said. Rip currents were the primary hazard listed alongside the agency's records of their deaths, with Panama City Beach seeing the highest concentration of "surf zone" fatalities throughout the month of June

• Sad 3

Ryan Mallet, former Wisconsin and Arkansas college QB who spent 7 years in the NFL drowned this week in FL also.  Assuming due to rip currents.

EDIT, It appears I assumed wrongly.  

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/no-rip-currents-involved-ryan-malletts-drowning-destin-beach-officials

Rips are no joke but it’s usually panic that causes their demise. You can’t fight them and people often try to swim against them, get exhausted & drown.

I always taught my kids to let it take you out and then swim past the surf line & wait for help or move 20-30 yards either direction and swim back in.  Rip currents only take you to the surf line (you can see it in the image) and no further.

In my surfing days I’d actually look for a rip and jump in it if I found one.  Less paddling that way!

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There is a $500 fine for swimming there when the lifeguards tell you not to.

I’m not sure about those beaches but our local beaches, the lifeguard stands are staffed during peak hours, 9 am to 5 PM.  There is a lot of daylight before & after those times during summer and usually that’s when people drown. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m not sure about those beaches but our local beaches, the lifeguard stands are staffed during peak hours, 9 am to 5 PM.  There is a lot of daylight before & after those times during summer and usually that’s when people drown. 

The beaches in FL are having an extreme shortage of lifeguards.  They're posting lots of warnings.