how certain are you?

bikeman564™

Just now, Longjohn said:

They had to move the CMM machines from an office inside the back shop. Too much vibrations from the presses and unnecessary people going into the office to suck up the air conditioning.

our CMM is not that controlled now, but when we bought it, it was bought for a specific product line. It was placed in an air conditioned room, the size of a closet.

• Like 1

Since parts of my careers were working out of calibration labs I'm familiar with most of those standards.  As a local standards lab doing calibrations for others we often had to send some of our standards off to them for calibration form the next to top level reference standards.  Some of the calibrations were silly.  To calibrate the pressure standards for Pratt and Whitney's jet engine test cells we used a dead weight tester to supply pressure.  A dead weight tester "floats" a calibrated weight on top of a column of air while the weights are slowly spinning.  All of this is done inside a glass vacuum bell sucked down to about half a tor of atmospheric pressure.  After that a "local gravity" correction factor has to be put into the math.  That was something like 0,0000038 X 10-12. for the spot our lab sat on.  The pressure standards for the test cells were calibrated to 0.01% of the lab standard.  If they didn't pass there were several hours of work ahead to adjust them.  They consisted of a spring shaped glass tube with the bottom end fixed and the top free to rotate as the spring twisted under pressure.  At the top was a mirror that reflected a point source light onto a strip of photocell wrapped around the chamber.  The output was a number of "counts" 1 to 100.000 for which we generated a pressure equivalent curve.

Yes I understand some of these machines and the silliness of some of the numbers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

dead weight tester

The test lab for safety valves calibrates their transducers this way.

In house, I calibrate our Sensotec (now Honeywell) transducers using a known master pressure gauge, which I bought from Crystal Engineering.

• Thank You 1