Another enforcer NHL hockey player dies

shootingstar

@petitepedal The outright increased hockey violence and body checking, infuriated dearie.  It dismayed him watching some NHL games.  2 wks. ago, I was watching certain video clips of an Inuit, now retired NHL player.  He overtly slammed into players and other crap.  It was hard to watch.  Meanwhile back at home Inuit locals were cheering and now hailed as a hero "first".  :(

This must be devastating for the family and I it saddens me to think about what Simon was suffering through in the months/years that lead him to think suicide was the best option out.  

The "enforcer" role has been reduced in say the last 10 to 15 years but the unnecessary violence is still prevalent.  The long-term effects are still ignored.

I am a big fan of hockey and the physical nature is part of the game.  A lot of it is unnecessary and is inconsistent enforced by the on-ice officials and the Department of Player Safety.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, shootingstar said:

@petitepedal The outright increased hockey violence and body checking, infuriated dearie.  It dismayed him watching some NHL games.  2 wks. ago, I was watching certain video clips of an Inuit, now retired NHL player.  He overtly slammed into players and other crap.  It was hard to watch.  Meanwhile back at home Inuit locals were cheering and now hailed as a hero "first".  :(

slapshotlarge.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

A lot of it is unnecessary and is inconsistent enforced by the on-ice officials and the Department of Player Safety.

I agree.

I don't watch hockey, I watch whoever the Bruins play.  

I am a Bruins fan, and usually stand behind them.

I like Charlie McAvoy; I think he's a good (not great) defenseman.  I also think he's dirty, and player safety should keep a running tally of people like him and ultimately ban him after too many "accidental" hits to the head.

• Like 2