Day 3 of gluten free

Dirtyhip

I am doing a test to see if the craze is valid or baloney.

Don't feel anything amazing yet.  Also, I have cut WAY back on sugar.  I am tracking everything on fit pal. After a month, I plan to reintroduce wheat and log results.

Not band wagon jumping, I just read some compelling research about the wheat that most of us are eating.  It has been engineered and changed from the wheat of our early ancestry. 

Feeling pretty decent today, but that could be that I am eating super clean.  Hope I can stay the course.

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm about 10 years in, I feel nothing.

I had quinoa last night. It is my opinion that grains (healthy ones) can be an important part of a good nutrition plan. I still say that the paleo thing is too meat-centric. You recommended reading wheat belly, and i recommend to you to read the China study. Very compelling research about meat and cancer.

Honestly, I think any food in too much abundance is bad.  I've been eating wheat pretty excessively.  Bagels are my bain.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

You recommended reading wheat belly

Nope, that wasn't me.  I have no reason to read that, I've been wheat free for a very long time.  My wife is reading it now.  She's convinced wheat and milk are both upsetting her stomach.  She eats well.

I agree with the overeating thought.  I think overall most people eat way too much.  Soooo many people are overweight, I imagine most of us, and an alarming number are obese.  

http://gamapserver.who.int/gho/interactive_charts/ncd/risk_factors/overweight/atlas.html

I haven't jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon yet but we have reduced the amount of sugar and white flour in our diet (except for recent holiday fixings).  Pecan sticky buns have lots flour, sugar and butter but I only make them once a year.  Bourbon balls are only made once a year but I make several batches.  I haven't had a bagel in years, too high in the glycemic index for me.  Tell me more about the China study, is it a book or an article.  UTFG?  I've seen the wheat belly book but haven't bothered reading it yet.  I liked the "Story of the Human Body" and "Sugar, Salt, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us"  Food science/engineering is scary stuff.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, that wasn't me.  I have no reason to read that, I've been wheat free for a very long time.  My wife is reading it now.  She's convinced wheat and milk are both upsetting her stomach.  She eats well.

I agree with the overeating thought.  I think overall most people eat way too much.  Soooo many people are overweight, I imagine most of us, and an alarming number are obese.  

http://gamapserver.who.int/gho/interactive_charts/ncd/risk_factors/overweight/atlas.html

I thought RG mentioned that book to me in the past.

Also, i wasn't particularly talking about abundance in the way of amount, but more like ratio. If you eat X amount of calories per day, I don't think that getting too many of your calories from one type of food is wise.  

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I thought RG mentioned that book to me in the past.

Also, i wasn't particularly talking about abundance in the way of amount, but more like ratio. If you eat X amount of calories per day, I don't think that getting too many of your calories from one type of food is wise.  

I didn't recommend it, but it sounds like something I would.  The premise of it, I feel, is correct, in that grains promote fat storage rather than fat usage, plus grains bloat you like a bloated bag of bloat during bloat season.  They do for me, I am sure of that at least.  Holes in that book, too, though, in different areas.

In regards to the China study, from what I have seen, there are massive scientific inaccuracies and problems involved, too.  It is a study, though, there are always holes to be poked.   Paleo is also misunderstood by the vast majority of the populace because they feel that it is meat-centric, and that paleo people are after meat like zombies after brains, which is entirely false.  

To sum up paleo once and for all, is pretty easy.  First, have a salad.  Then fill a plate up 70% of the way with vegetables of various sorts, then add meat and fruit to taste.  Now you are done, and if you do anything else, you aren't doing it right.  That is the simplified explanation, but paleo doesn't get a pass because there are also stupid things recommended.  For instance, I am pretty sure paleolithic folks did not use olive oil or butter or coconut oil en masse, and doesn't actually adhere to what paleo folks actually did and ate nearly enough, but we don't live in the woods or grasslands anymore, so what are you going to do, right?  

The real deal beauty of paleo is that it explicitly connects how grains are bad for you if you eat them all the damn time, and that paleolithic folks and folks up and down our evolutionary tree regularly ate just about zero grains until the dawn of agriculture, and that there is absolutely zero nutritional need for grains of any stripe in our diet.  This I fully believe, I can't see any vitamin/mineral source that is better served with grains than with vegetables, fruit, and meat.  

Vegetarianism is just at odds with reality in so many ways, and needs massive reaches to get needed nutrients necessary.   Veganism is completely asinine as a lifestyle, plus nobody wants to deal with those sorts because they are a pain in the ass in every one of life's arenas and occasions.

There isn't a perfect diet out there that I can see.  Sugar isn't bad if you have it once in a while, grains aren't bad if you have them once in a while, but if you eat them every day, you are eventually gonna have some issues because of them.  They sure as hell taste good, though.

Edited by Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I didn't recommend it, but it sounds like something I would.  The premise of it, I feel, is correct, in that grains promote fat storage rather than fat usage, plus grains bloat you like a bloated bag of bloat during bloat season.  They do for me, I am sure of that at least.  Holes in that book, too, though, in different areas.

In regards to the China study, from what I have seen, there are massive scientific inaccuracies and problems involved, too.  It is a study, though, there are always holes to be poked.   Paleo is also misunderstood by the vast majority of the populace because they feel that it is meat-centric, and that paleo people are after meat like zombies after brains, which is entirely false.  

To sum up paleo once and for all, is pretty easy.  First, have a salad.  Then fill a plate up 70% of the way with vegetables of various sorts, then add meat and fruit to taste.  Now you are done, and if you do anything else, you aren't doing it right.  That is the simplified explanation, but paleo doesn't get a pass because there are also stupid things recommended.  For instance, I am pretty sure paleolithic folks did not use olive oil or butter or coconut oil en masse, and doesn't actually adhere to what paleo folks actually did and ate nearly enough, but we don't live in the woods or grasslands anymore, so what are you going to do, right?  

The real deal beauty of paleo is that it explicitly connects how grains are bad for you if you eat them all the damn time, and that paleolithic folks and folks up and down our evolutionary tree regularly ate just about zero grains until the dawn of agriculture, and that there is absolutely zero nutritional need for grains of any stripe in our diet.  This I fully believe, I can't see any vitamin/mineral source that is better served with grains than with vegetables, fruit, and meat.  

Vegetarianism is just at odds with reality in so many ways, and needs massive reaches to get needed nutrients necessary.   Veganism is completely asinine as a lifestyle, plus nobody wants to deal with those sorts because they are a pain in the ass in every one of life's arenas and occasions.

There isn't a perfect diet out there that I can see.  Sugar isn't bad if you have it once in a while, grains aren't bad if you have them once in a while, but if you eat them every day, you are eventually gonna have some issues because of them.  They sure as hell taste good, though.

I think it also depends on ancestry.  Me:  Welsh, German and some Irish.  :o  We don't want the Irish, I know, but I digress here for a shameful MP joke.

My point, is that my ancestry ate differently than say a Native person in South America.  Now, we live on a global scale.  I can get food from anywhere on the planet.  So my Paleo would be different than someone else.

Refined grains I agree, nothing good there, but addictive tasty treats.  However, a grain like quinoa is full of good stuff for you.  I don't see a downside to eating a healthy grain like quinoa now and again.  Also, I still think beans can play a part in a healthy diet.  Especially, since I don't intend to eat meat every day.

Still, grains don't seem to store a lot of fat on me. So maybe not everyone is sensitive to them or gets fat from eating them.   

I am on Day 4 now.  I feel good, but no major awakening yet. I lost a pound, but I think that is due to being so restrictive.  Also, I joined a diet tracker and I am logging and eating clean.  That probably makes me watch things closer with portions and types of foods that I shove in.  If I continue to drop weight, I better eat much more.  I put in myself as very active, but it still only says I can have 1420 cals a day.  If I exercise, I can east more.  Today I weighed in at 124.

Example:  I have a box of candies here.  I have avoided them today, because Fitness pal made me see how much sugar I already consumed and those sugars were only in the form of real food.  Sweet taters, and a little fruit really added up fast.

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think it also depends on ancestry.  Me:  Welsh, German and some Irish.  :o  We don't want the Irish, I know, but I digress here for a shameful MP joke.

My point, is that my ancestry ate differently than say a Native person in South America.  Now, we live on a global scale.  I can get food from anywhere on the planet.  So my Paleo would be different than someone else.

Refined grains I agree, nothing good there, but addictive tasty treats.  However, a grain like quinoa is full of good stuff for you.  I don't see a downside to eating a healthy grain like quinoa now and again.  Also, I still think beans can play a part in a healthy diet.  Especially, since I don't intend to eat meat every day.

Still, grains don't seem to store a lot of fat on me. So maybe not everyone is sensitive to them or gets fat from eating them.   

I am on Day 4 now.  I feel good, but no major awakening yet. I lost a pound, but I think that is due to being so restrictive.  Also, I joined a diet tracker and I am logging and eating clean.  That probably makes me watch things closer with portions and types of foods that I shove in.  If I continue to drop weight, I better eat much more.  I put in myself as very active, but it still only says I can have 1420 cals a day.  If I exercise, I can east more.  Today I weighed in at 124.

Example:  I have a box of candies here.  I have avoided them today, because Fitness pal made me see how much sugar I already consumed and those sugars were only in the form of real food.  Sweet taters, and a little fruit really added up fast.

I guess I will just have to eat the double chocolate cookies I made for you.  

The good news is there is tons of info out there and many gluten free options.  

My daughter developed a gluten sensitivity in her late teens and she can't eat gluten now.  She loved fresh bread and would eat pasta often, and then all of a sudden she couldn't eat it without throwing up... Being of mixed Asian background she's used to rice and many of the dishes my mom would make which was essentially rice, veggies and a little meat. the perfect gluten free meal...  But she's also a normal American girl so eats out often and knows what to get from her favorite places.  Sometimes she'll just nibble on french fries (where as she seldom ate them before).   She also loves Mexican food and ask for a burrito and just have them put it in a bowl instead of in a tortilla or will order fajitas which is essentially grilled meat and veggies and skip the tortillas. .  

I've been making numerous gluten free meals for her for a few years now and once you get in the hang of it  is pretty easy. 

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The good news is there is tons of info out there and many gluten free options.  

My daughter developed a gluten sensitivity in her late teens and she can't eat gluten now.  She loved fresh bread and would eat pasta often, and then all of a sudden she couldn't eat it without throwing up... Being of mixed Asian background she's used to rice and many of the dishes my mom would make which was essentially rice, veggies and a little meat. the perfect gluten free meal...  But she's also a normal American girl so eats out often and knows what to get from her favorite places.  Sometimes she'll just nibble on french fries (where as she seldom ate them before).   She also loves Mexican food and ask for a burrito and just have them put it in a bowl instead of in a tortilla or will order fajitas which is essentially grilled meat and veggies and skip the tortillas. .  

I've been making numerous gluten free meals for her for a few years now and once you get in the hang of it  is pretty easy. 

I got a burrito bowl recently.  It was ok.  

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I got a burrito bowl recently.  It was ok.  

As you don't have celiacs and don't have to worry about cross contamination you can order a  burrito and just cut it open and eat the inside.  Sometimes they skip the sauce when they make a burrito bowl.  My daughter doesn't seem to have cross contamination issues and will do this often too.  She's also become a fan of tamales.  However if you think of an Asian diet you can pretty much eat quiet a bit as with the exception of chow mein most foods are gluten free.  Just be glad it's a choice you are making.  My daughter just had an attack last night as she was at a birthday party and ate something that had wheat/gluten in it.  She hauled @zz home, threw up and was pretty messed up for a good 3 hours. 

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

As you don't have celiacs and don't have to worry about cross contamination you can order a  burrito and just cut it open and eat the inside.  Sometimes they skip the sauce when they make a burrito bowl.  My daughter doesn't seem to have cross contamination issues and will do this often too.  She's also become a fan of tamales.  However if you think of an Asian diet you can pretty much eat quiet a bit as with the exception of chow mein most foods are gluten free.  Just be glad it's a choice you are making.  My daughter just had an attack last night as she was at a birthday party and ate something that had wheat/gluten in it.  She hauled @zz home, threw up and was pretty messed up for a good 3 hours. 

Damn.  That sucks.  Sorry to hear that she is so allergic.  

I am just doing a silly experiment.