The continuing saga of jsharr putting his foot in his mouth

jsharr

So Ryan played what may be his last middle school football game last night.  They ended the season strong with a 40 - 0 win.  Went in at half time with a 32-0 lead and were due to receive the kick off to start the second half.

Second half starts and our team was kicking off.  Many of the fans, myself included, were yelling at the refs that Wilson should be receiving, not kicking.  Really did not matter, but rules are rules.

Turns out the Wilson coach offered to kick to start the second half due to the score.  It was also apparent he was not trying to run up the score, as he was putting players into posistions they did not play.  Ryan played on the offensive line, instead of defensive end.

We did score one more time, to make it 40-0 and then just started running the clock.  Killed the last 4 minutes of the games basically.

So they ended the season 7 -1.  Gave up one touchdown the entire season and they lost that game.  No one else even got close to scoring on them.

We find out this week if they play for the city championship.  This is based off of how the A team did and Ryan is on the B team.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This is based off of how the A team did and Ryan is on the B team.

This speaks to how big football is in TX.  My city has a Pop Warner league that fields 2-3 teams every fall. They play neighboring cities as they can't field a full league either. Tackle football isn't offered below the high school level at any local districts in SoCal...

And your school has 2 middle school football teams. Wow!

Just now, ChrisL said:

This speaks to how big football is in TX.  My city has a Pop Warner league that fields 2-3 teams every fall. They play neighboring cities as they can't field a full league either. Tackle football isn't offered below the high school level at any local districts in SoCal...

And your school has 2 middle school football teams. Wow!

In Plano we have A & B teams in 7th and 8th grades, freshman A & B team, sophomore team, JV and Varsity.    Stadiums that seat thousands and in some cases tens of thousands.  400 member bands at a few schools.  drill teams, cheer leaders, all the hoopla of some college teams.  Football is still king in Texas but it is shrinking each year it seems.  

• Heart 2

Just now, jsharr said:

I was yelling at the officials that they had the wrong team kicking off when in fact, our coach had volunteered to kick off due to the score being so lopsided.      

Sorry, you did say that already. Yelling is nearly allus a bad thing IMO and best avoided if at all possible, and it nearly allus is possible. ?

• Awesome 1

Just now, pedalphile said:

Sorry, you did say that already. Yelling is nearly allus a bad thing IMO and best avoided if at all possible, and it nearly allus is possible. ?

Sir, need I remind you that I am both a redneck Texican and a white trash ass hat?  Yelling is requisite for my kind.  REQUISITE I TELL YOU!!!

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I was yelling at the officials that they had the wrong team kicking off when in fact, our coach had volunteered to kick off due to the score being so lopsided.      

One thing I learned as the parent of a pitcher is to STFU in the stands as the kid who made the error allowing a base runner instead of an out probably has a parent, grandparent or uncle in the stands too.  And they didn't say sheot when my kid walked a batter either.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

One thing I learned as the parent of a pitcher is to STFU in the stands as the kid who made the error allowing a base runner instead of an out probably has a parent, grandparent or uncle in the stands too.  And they didn't say sheot when my kid walked a batter either.

yeah, I am of times not judicious in my sanctimonious yelling.  I should have just STFU but if I am not true to myself, who can I be true to?

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sir, need I remind you that I am both a redneck Texican and a white trash ass hat?  Yelling is requisite for my kind.  REQUISITE I TELL YOU!!!

There’s an opening awaiting a Quiet Texican; he has his swagger but it all nicely contained for when called upon, till then, he just goes quietly about his business and keeps his powders dry, but stir him, give him cause, and see what fury is unleashed. Twice as more effective by far, tha knows, trust a Quiet Tyke on this matter, my dearest sharr.

Congratulations on the good season - hope it continues.

This high school football culture is completely foreign to me, as my tiny high school never fielded a football team.  I would have played.

This weekend we went to a marching band competition at a high school in Maryland and it's still a little hard for me to fathom a high school having such an impressive facility.  

35 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

This high school football culture is completely foreign to me, as my tiny high school never fielded a football team.  I would have played.

This weekend we went to a marching band competition at a high school in Maryland and it's still a little hard for me to fathom a high school having such an impressive facility.  

Here are what high school football stadiums look like in Texas

https://www.aceable.com/blog/beautiful-texas-football-stadiums/

38 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Wut? That's what 6-Man Football is for. That's a fun, high scoring affair in which little fast guys win the day.

• Heart 1

Parents.

One of the reasons that this professional referee learned to head for the parking lot and out of there as fast as possible after games.

Womaxx retired as a referee after intercepting a parent chasing one of my jr referees after a 6 year old no score game.  She said he had those glazed eyes and no idea of what he was going to do to the 13 year old.  Shortly after that I stopped doing any games in or near my home.

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Parents.

One of the reasons that this professional referee learned to head for the parking lot and out of there as fast as possible after games.

Womaxx retired as a referee after intercepting a parent chasing one of my jr referees after a 6 year old no score game.  She said he had those glazed eyes and no idea of what he was going to do to the 13 year old.  Shortly after that I stopped doing any games in or near my home.

The last game I ever reffed was a 9 year old girls game.  Fights were breaking out in the stands and I had parents following me back to my car.  It was pathetic.  A 9 year-old girls game.  

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The last game I ever reffed was a 9 year old girls game.  Fights were breaking out in the stands and I had parents following me back to my car.  It was pathetic.  A 9 year-old girls game.  

Did you call it in favor of your girlfriends team?