Biking Found To Be The Happiest Form Of Transport, Public Transit The Least

dinneR

Looks like the spelled Humphrey incorrectly. The poor guy was VP, you'd think they could get his name correct.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/02/27/biking-happiness-commute-study-university-of-minnesota/#.XHgF2hPXpOA.facebook

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A researcher at the University of Minnesota is advising planners to promote biking in their communities if they want to design transport systems that would improve commuter well-being.

Yingling Fan, a professor that the university’s Humphry School of Public Affairs, was a co-author on a study that found that cycling, when compared to driving, walking and taking public transit, is the mode of transport most associated with feelings of happiness.

The study looked at data from the 2012-2013 American Time Use Survey and analyzed how different modes of transportation shaped how people view their journeys in terms of positive or negative emotions. The study controlled for personal demographics, physical health and residential location.

While cycling was found to be most associated with happiness, public transit was found to be the least happy and least meaningful mode of transport.

According to the University of Minnesota, Fan says her research recommends that planners promote biking and figure out ways to make public transit less painful to commuters.

In Minneapolis, about 4 percent of commuters bike to work, according to U.S. Census data from 2017.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

While cycling was found to be most associated with happiness, public transit was found to be the least happy and least meaningful mode of transport. 

According to the University of Minnesota, Fan says her research recommends that planners promote biking and figure out ways to make public transit less painful to commuters.

In Minneapolis, about 4 percent of commuters bike to work, according to U.S. Census data from 2017.

Seems a little disconnected from reality. If ONLY 4% of folks are willing to do something, it is hardly amping their endorphins enough to get them out of a car :(

I try to tell everyone I can to choose a bike over most options, but most folks are fearful of all sorts of things :(

Poorly done public transit (usually buses in poor sections of town) is definitely a rough ride.

20 minutes ago, Dottles said:

We had another hit and run biker killed again. People here still do it here but these kinds of events scare folks away.

A well trained driverless car wouldn't do that!  DonKPow would still have a pristine new bike, too!  The future can't come soon enough - or, at least, spring :D

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A well trained driverless car wouldn't do that!  DonKPow would still have a pristine new bike, too!  The future can't come soon enough - or, at least, spring :D

I am most disappointed that I am unable to take advantage of the good weather.

3 minutes ago, late said:

In countries that have good public transport, it's liked. I enjoyed it in Vienna. You'd take a trolley to the subway, which was clean and cheap.

Because there's a sense of community there and folks take a responsibility in public owned goods and services.  Hell, even the British in London pushed in their seats at closing time.  Unheard of in these parts. they'd rather destroy public property by shitting on public toilets and spray painting the very seat you shit on.

I enjoy riding my bike more than driving - but that's also assuming it's not raining and I don't have haul a lot of stuff.  I have 2001 camcorder video of my tour's first day in Beijing where there were lots of cars on the road, but even more bicycles - even flat-bed tricycles hauling stuff.  Here are some screencaps from a narrated video I made with digitized 720x540 camcorder VHS video that I shot at a zoom setting from a fast-moving bus: apologies for the blurry pics but you'll still see how awesome all those bikes were:

406809360_BeijingJuly4.JPG.76be12edb952092bab0bc0b68a6035a2.JPG

Flatbed Tricycles:

1548769790_BeijingFlatbedTricycle1.JPG.62dc65b1ff5dfd4222270b679eb2d471.JPG746839790_BeijingFlatbedTricycle2.JPG.6835f868d223f690b10d2f9f82c00dae.JPG

Parked bikes 10-deep from the curb to the fence:

1389646168_BeijingLotsofBikes1.JPG.9c5d3bdee5c90fed12d2866b7e160cdc.JPG185458265_BeijingLotsofBikes2.JPG.db94d332e6c6b385dea60e35c608e095.JPG

More bikes:

1777178726_BeijingLotsofBikes3.JPG.a080405b7ccbeb888657c4bb17017954.JPG816982973_BeijingLotsofBikes4.JPG.8c8852da845be4ffb1e26a97844e5d33.JPG

17 hours ago, Dottles said:

Because there's a sense of community there and folks take a responsibility in public owned goods and services.  Hell, even the British in London pushed in their seats at closing time.  Unheard of in these parts. they'd rather destroy public property by shitting on public toilets and spray painting the very seat you shit on.

Communities are something you build, not rocket science.