Failure mode of laptop battreys

Ralphie

My 2007 Macbook one seems odd.  It won;t charge past 17% now, the problem started when it wouldn't charge above 40%.  I am used to battreys charging but then not holding a charge.  I guess lithum ion must be different.  I am torn whether to spend $40 for a new knockoff battrey, but I do love this old laptop just for forumming and non-secure webbing and googling.

28 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There's a series of Macbooks currently on the no fly list.  That might indicate one of the failure modes.

?

I believe that is one of the newest models. I know it was after my 2013 MBP, and appears limited to a few production runs as the re-sourced new batteries for current production.  While my fully loaded MBP, needed to run Final Cut Pro, runs fine, it is the keyboard change/failure is what keeps me from upgrading - not the battery. However the rumored future model expanding to 16" gives me cause for concern being too large for my backpack I use when traveling. My 15" just fits in an area designed for a camelback bladder, not impacting the other two compartments - camera and daypack sections.

The only question is what does that $40 plus tax buy you?  Another year, or is something else ready to go?   

The fan, the screen, CMOS, board, whatever could be going, so why bother?   Just keep it plugged in when you use it and save the $$$ and aggravation towards a new system at some point. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:28 AM, Bag of dicks said:

The only question is what does that $40 plus tax buy you?  Another year, or is something else ready to go?   

The fan, the screen, CMOS, board, whatever could be going, so why bother?   Just keep it plugged in when you use it and save the $$$ and aggravation towards a new system at some point. 

Good advice - just keeping it plugged in is a good workaround, especially since there is a very good chance it is the charger anyhoo.  Here is one more thing to try also. I've noticed that jiggling that the magnetic connection will turn it orange (charging) for a short while but it always goes back to green (not charging) very shortly thereafter.  So I will try this reset thinghy.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I really like the quick startup of the old Mac compared to Windoze iron, but the browsers are hopelessly obsolete, but it is like having an old worn oot Mercedes - hard to give up. :D  No way would I ever buy a new Mac, just waaay too much moolah!

9 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Good advice - just keeping it plugged in is a good workaround, especially since there is a very good chance it is the charger anyhoo.  Here is one more thing to try also. I've noticed that jiggling that the magnetic connection will turn it orange (charging) for a short while but it always goes back to green (not charging) very shortly thereafter.  So I will try this reset thinghy.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I really like the quick startup of the old Mac compared to Windoze iron, but the browsers are hopelessly obsolete, but it is like having an old worn oot Mercedes - hard to give up. :D  No way would I ever buy a new Mac, just waaay too much moolah!

Try a chromebook for just browsing around.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

But that is run by The Evil Empire.

So?

Isn't everything anyway?

They are inexpensive.  They are light.  They are great for browsing, reading, pictures and shopping.  They do not get hacked often if at all because among other things you cannot load a program onto them, only apps and they do a check sum on the system every time they boot.  Oh, the boot......a couple of seconds.

Anything really serious I do on the big box in the lab anyway.

The only thing I dislike is the chicklet keyboard.

18 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well crisis averted postponed!  I cleaned the connection and with much wiggling finally got the battrey back to 100% charge.  I was hoping my favourite tool, the Fonzie touch, would work! :D Heyyyyy!

Never belittle what a good visual inspection and a hammer can accomplish.