It was a day

late

We went for a bike ride. We could finally ride to Cumberland, and went on from there to the European Bakery where we split a coffee and a fruit tart. It was really good.

On the way home, I like to get some exercise in. Just after I got home, the wife called, one of her tires was flat. I'd been kinda waiting for that to happen. The tires had been sitting around for years, and they are the old fashioned kind, with nothing put paper thin cotton behind the rubber. We use to get them from Compass, but they don't have them any more. So I don't know quite what to do. I found a tire on sale that is similar to what she had, but it's a 38, not a 32c.

This ride was a little longer than usual, but I don't feel beat up for some reason. Thinking about riding manana.

My phone came today. It's driving me nuts, but at least I can make calls on it. I don't have wifi, and I shut everything off I could. So not sure how I will get apps. Not sure what apps to get.

Oh yeah, dinner was pretty good. We had cold shrimp, hummus sesame noodles, some spiced cold beets, and a simple tomato (out of the garden) salad. We didn't plan it, the wife got shrimp, because I don't make a ton of noodles, it just worked out nice.

Buckwheat soba, one bunch per person. This is for 2 people.

Stir:

1/4 cup chicken stock, pref bone broth

1/4 cup hummus

2 tblespoons soy sauce  or similar. (I used a Japanese noodle sauce) (ooops, it was Wan Ja Shan Hot Pot Sauce from Taiwan)

1 tblspn rice wine vinegar

1 tblspn sesame oil

Cook the noodles, toss them with a tsp of coconut oil. Put them back in the pot, add the sauce, stir and let it sit for a couple minutes so the noodles can suck up some of the moisture. Plate, sprinkle sesame seeds and chopped green onions for a garnish.

I've only made it twice, and I've already started buying the 2 lb box of soba, this is going to be a regular.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, late said:

On the way home, I like to get some exercise in. Just after I got home, the wife called, one of her tires was flat. I'd been kinda waiting for that to happen. The tires had been sitting around for years, and they are the old fashioned kind, with nothing put paper thin cotton behind the rubber. We use to get them from Compass, but they don't have them any more. So I don't know quite what to do. I found a tire on sale that is similar to what she had, but it's a 38, not a 32c.

What tire did you used to get?  Rene Hearse (née Compass) has that 32 in an "extralight" version which might be similar to what they carried under the Compass name.  Are you looking for recommendations in a 32?  That's a really hopping tire size right now.

image.thumb.png.b22739b3b04e449e3daa389982bb9519.png

image.png.a959ded3f0f4d744a7b0c6eb76ddc06c.png

17 hours ago, Airehead said:

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What tire did you used to get?  Rene Hearse (née Compass) has that 32 in an "extralight" version which might be similar to what they carried under the Compass name.  Are you looking for recommendations in a 32?  That's a really hopping tire size right now.

Huh.

This is the webpage I got when I clicked on tires:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/product-category/components/tires/650b/

There's no 32c on that page. I sent them an email, hopefully they will reply one of these days.

12 minutes ago, late said:

Huh.

This is the webpage I got when I clicked on tires:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/product-category/components/tires/650b/

There's no 32c on that page. I sent them an email, hopefully they will reply one of these days.

Ah, you have the 650B and not a 700?  Man, it really seems like they would pretty much have similar offerings, but 650B is definitely on the upswing.

What are you looking for in a tire?  Road only? Mixed use? Durability? Comfort? Price point?

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ah, you have the 650B and not a 700?  Man, it really seems like they would pretty much have similar offerings, but 650B is definitely on the upswing.

What are you looking for in a tire?  Road only? Mixed use? Durability? Comfort? Price point?

Yes, 650b.

Pretty sure that's the same tire, just with a different name.

Wifey is 5' 2", she can run a 32c at  quite low pressure, for comfort.

That's the most important bit. But now we're retired, the increases in Compass pricing might take that option off the table, even if they do still have it.

3 minutes ago, late said:

That's the most important bit. But now we're retired, the increases in Compass pricing might take that option off the table, even if they do still have it.

My wife's hybrid - an older Trek 720 - runs 700x32c tires and I keep them fairly soft - 40-50psi - with no real issues. They don't get pumped up too often - maybe once a month? - but she rides her bike quite a few times a week.  I think the current tires are just a pair of "city" tires - low tread - that I got from Performance 5+ years ago. 

3 hours ago, late said:

Yes, 650b.

Just want to TRIPLE check you are talking 650B and not 650C.  At 5'2", an older bike would often use an essentially "baby" 700c wheel/tire for the smaller frames. Those are 650c x 23 or 650c x 28 sort of tires.  Not really new, but rapidly growing popularity are the 650b wheel/tire size which is not the same as the 650c

@dennis or @Page Turner probably know a bit about each.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Just want to TRIPLE check you are talking 650B and not 650C.  At 5'2", an older bike would often use an essentially "baby" 700c wheel/tire for the smaller frames. Those are 650c x 23 or 650c x 28 sort of tires.  Not really new, but rapidly growing popularity are the 650b wheel/tire size which is not the same as the 650c

@dennis or @Page Turner probably know a bit about each.

Sure, it's a Rivendell Bleriot that uses 650b tires. I don't think Grant ever made a bike for 650c. The Bleriot was one of Grant's attempts at making a 'cheap' bike. It was made from Japanese tubing in a Taiwan factory, which resulted in a price of hundreds, not thousands, of dollars for the frame.

My custom is also a 650b. I thought that would be an improvement for the way I ride, which used to be LSD (long slow distance). But it's really just a different size. I call it LRB (long ride bike) because it's halfway between a rando and traditional sport geometry. And the long wheelbase and large tires do make for a comfy ride. But my Gunnar Sport uses 700c, and I like it better. It's simply more fun to ride.