If empanada casing could be wee thinner

shootingstar

I love all types of perogies (though I haven't tried the fruit-filled ones yet), ravioli, spaetzle and of course Asian dumplings of all types. The best types with skins/casings...are when they are thin/delicate and you can also taste the filling. The trick is the thin casing, melds with the delicious filling.

Kinda find empandas harder to enjoy in that same luscious way, 'cause the pastry is usually hard and thicker.  So when I walk by a display of empanadas, I don't get excited to try some.  I've had Spanish, homemade Chilean (which someone's mother-in-law makes. She is from Chile.)  Maybe there's an ethnic version of empanadas where the pastry casing isn't so thick /hard.  (The Chinese version of unacceptable thick casings, are certain baos are way too doughy and not enough filling, which means I think the shop is being cheap.)

• Heart 1

Look to the origins of the empanada. Empanadas, like the Cornish pasty. Were originally made to be carried as lunch to the work place. A savory filling, high in protein and carbs, were baked or fried in dough that served as the delivery vehicle. Hand held sandwiches fed the workers midday without the need for wrappers or bags that did not exist at the time. Without a thick crust, they would not be what they are.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

That was one of the things that Gina made well with her family. That and tamales. Anyone ever hear from them?

Was Gina a member here?

I love tamales.. all things wrapped in a natural leaf and steamed/roasted/boiled...and whether leaf is corn, lotus leaf, bamboo, taro, etc. ..very delicious with the natural leaf flavour the filling a touch.

I guess the empanada....is another interpretation of the Carribbean patty, northern European turnover/pasty or strudel (well, sorta but the delicate flakiness is different). Then there are the Middle-eastern like empanada...whenever I go to local Lebanese bakery-deli.

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

Look to the origins of the empanada. Empanadas, like the Cornish pasty. Were originally made to be carried as lunch to the work place. A savory filling, high in protein and carbs, were baked or fried in dough that served as the delivery vehicle. Hand held sandwiches fed the workers midday without the need for wrappers or bags that did not exist at the time. Without a thick crust, they would not be what they are.

I used to have business near a pasty place. Mmmm tasty.  We have an empenada place near work and we have had them.  I like the pasty better.

My go to tamale place closed during Covid shut downs. I hope they survive... They are Peruvian tamals.  The masa is really smooth, they are served in a light broth and are wrapped in banana leaves.  

• Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

@shootingstar Gina is the spouse of Beanz. A former member of the forums, current and former. They live in SoCa, near @ChrisL I think. Gina never posted here but Beanz included her in many posts.

You're right. I miss Beanz and his ride reports with Gina.

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I used to have business near a pasty place. Mmmm tasty.  We have an empenada place near work and we have had them.  I like the pasty better.

My go to tamale place closed during Covid shut downs. I hope they survive... They are Peruvian tamals.  The masa is really smooth, they are served in a light broth and are wrapped in banana leaves.  

Very interesting....tamals served in a light broth.  We found a little grocery store run by immigrants I think from Mexico, here in town.  But we didn't know about it until after being here for 5 yrs. They serve lunches which can include tamales in a tiny seating area for about 10 people.

I didn't even have my first tamale until I was in New Mexico and that was about 18 yrs. ago.

There is a Salvadoran place in town that does tamales in banana leaves. Very tasty! Most around here do them in corn husks. They are very good as well but the banana leaves leave a different flavor. 
Their pork and cheese papusas are amazing!

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't even have my first tamale until I was in New Mexico and that was about 18 yrs. ago.

I didn’t know how good they were until I had several Hispanic employees working for me and several would bring in tamales during the holidays for management.  OMG so much better than store bought.  

When I left that job  I would ask the Hispanic ladies who makes the best tamales and would get my home made tamale hook ups that way.  I don’t currently have one but do have the number of my last tamale hook up.  

Hopefully that Peruvian place opens soon.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I love all types of perogies (though I haven't tried the fruit-filled ones yet), ravioli, spaetzle and of course Asian dumplings of all types. The best types with skins/casings...are when they are thin/delicate and you can also taste the filling. The trick is the thin casing, melds with the delicious filling.

Kinda find empandas harder to enjoy in that same luscious way, 'cause the pastry is usually hard and thicker.  So when I walk by a display of empanadas, I don't get excited to try some.  I've had Spanish, homemade Chilean (which someone's mother-in-law makes. She is from Chile.)  Maybe there's an ethnic version of empanadas where the pastry casing isn't so thick /hard.  (The Chinese version of unacceptable thick casings, are certain baos are way too doughy and not enough filling, which means I think the shop is being cheap.)

My family makes Bao Pao the Indonesian way.  Not my favorite and like you they are too doughy for my liking but many in my family love them.  Last Easter we had some kings Hawaiian rolls and we put the filler in a kings roll and nuked it for 30 seconds.  Now that was really good.