Thinking about savory cheesy scallion pancakes for breakfast

Ralphie

Sounds yummy... I had a neighbor give me some fruit soup..one of those old norsk traditions of re-hydrating various dried fruits adding spices and making it your holiday dessert ....I am sure a hold over from the days when you were limited to seasonal fruits and veggies.....ANYWAY I had some fruit soup on oatmeal with yogurt for breakfast!

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Sounds yummy..

Everything is better with scallions, and jalapenos if you have a taste for them. :)  That is why I am getting back to planting green onions this spring.  Onion sets have been impossible to find locally any more so I have to order them.

Scallions and other varieties of onions are considered by many experts to be an extremely healthy food.  They add tons of flavor and very little calories and no fat.  In addition, they help prevent infections and cancer.  From WebMD:

Scallion Health Benefits

Fills you with fiber.  A cup of cut scallions has about 10% of the fiber you need for the whole day. Getting lots of fiber helps you feel full, keeps your cholesterol levels down, and may lower your chances for diabetes, heart disease, and other conditions.

Helps fight cancer.  Scallions and other allium vegetables may block cancer growth, especially in the stomach. Researchers aren’t sure how. They believe that a compound called allicin, which is what gives you garlic breath, may prevent cells from turning cancerous or slow tumors from spreading.

Prevents infections.  Extracts of onions, garlic, and their relatives have long been used as medicine. They can kill bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Lab tests on certain varieties of onions showed that at high enough concentrations, some can kill or slow the growth of salmonella or E. coli.

Protects your body.  Vegetables in the onion group are packed with phytonutrients, including chemicals called antioxidants that defend your cells against damage. Antioxidants in onions like flavonoids and polyphenols hunt down free radicals, substances that can lead to cancer, inflammation, and age-related diseases. The antioxidants lose their power during cooking, so fresh is best.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Scallions and other varieties of onions are considered by many experts to be a very healthy food.  They add tons of flavor and very little calories and no fat.  In addition, they help prevent infections and cancer.

AND onions were said to be the principal food of the people who built the pyramids. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Scallions and other varieties of onions are considered by many experts to be an extremely healthy food.  They add tons of flavor and very little calories and no fat.  In addition, they help prevent infections and cancer.  From WebMD:

Scallion Health Benefits

Fills you with fiber.  A cup of cut scallions has about 10% of the fiber you need for the whole day. Getting lots of fiber helps you feel full, keeps your cholesterol levels down, and may lower your chances for diabetes, heart disease, and other conditions.

Helps fight cancer.  Scallions and other allium vegetables may block cancer growth, especially in the stomach. Researchers aren’t sure how. They believe that a compound called allicin, which is what gives you garlic breath, may prevent cells from turning cancerous or slow tumors from spreading.

Prevents infections.  Extracts of onions, garlic, and their relatives have long been used as medicine. They can kill bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Lab tests on certain varieties of onions showed that at high enough concentrations, some can kill or slow the growth of salmonella or E. coli.

Protects your body.  Vegetables in the onion group are packed with phytonutrients, including chemicals called antioxidants that defend your cells against damage. Antioxidants in onions like flavonoids and polyphenols hunt down free radicals, substances that can lead to cancer, inflammation, and age-related diseases. The antioxidants lose their power during cooking, so fresh is best.

Garlic is good, too, if you can stand it.

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

AND onions were said to be the principal food of the people who built the pyramids. 

Just about every sandwich I eat has a thick slice of onion, except for PB&J of course.  I keep a sliced onion in my fridge at all times for salads and sandwiches, two of the main staples of old guy diets.  :)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Recipe please!

Are the pancakes make as usual then the scallions, cheese, butter added on top or is some of it mixed in the batter as is done with blueberry pancakes?

This looks good - I've been thinking about savory pancakes, though my discovery of Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free Pancake Syrup (5 Cal, 2g carbs/tbsp) and Kodiak Power Cakes Buttermilk Flapjack and Waffle mix (1/2 cup: 190 Cal, 30g carbs, 5g fiber, 14g protein) has made sweet, buttered pancakes easy for me to each without spiking my blood sugar.

I have a cousin, also type-II diabetic, who loves homemade potato pancakes and unsweetened applesauce.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Recipe please!

Are the pancakes make as usual then the scallions, cheese, butter added on top or is some of it mixed in the batter as is done with blueberry pancakes?

This looks good - I've been thinking about savory pancakes, though my discovery of Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free Pancake Syrup (5 Cal, 2g carbs/tbsp) and Kodiak Power Cakes Buttermilk Flapjack and Waffle mix (1/2 cup: 190 Cal, 30g carbs, 5g fiber, 14g protein) has made sweet, buttered pancakes easy for me to each without spiking my blood sugar.

I have a cousin, also type-II diabetic, who loves homemade potato pancakes and unsweetened applesauce.

The recipe is in the link, but all I did was make aunt Jemimah mix and sprinkle in some shredded cheese and add in chopped raw scallions, jalapeño, and celery.  I wanted the savory-sweet contrast so apples would have been nice, but the maple syrup worked well for that.