Them Japan softballers

Parr8hed

12 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Are pretty tough.  Defense spot on.  Excellent pitching.  The pitcher is like 38 and plays true pro softball (apparently Japan has a flourishing league).  Monica Abbot (the US pitcher) actually plays over there and faced several of her teammates when she played Japan.

They didn't hit a ton, just when they needed to.  Very good at not trying to do too much with every swing.  Singles win the game.

They were hard to bunt against.  Standard US ball is the get them on, bunt them over and hit them in.  Japan simply outplayed every bunt, fielding it quickly and throwing down to second base to turn a double, instead of taking the easy out at one, moving the runner up to scoring position.  

We hit the pitcher a few times, just not enough.  Stranded enough runners to easily have won.  

But hats off to them.  They played well. 

Not really following, so who won? 

The American team may have another wait ahead of them if they want to go for Olympic gold again. At present time, softball is not among the list of sports to be included in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris, France.

That stinks. I've watched a few games and they've been great. The USA/CAN game was amazing.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

Interesting that they have a pro league

We have a pro league.  Cat Osterman is probably the most famous.  She has pitched professionally for years.  A business partner of mine has a daughter that pitched in the women's professional league for a couple different teams and is married to one of the profession league's former coaches.  An acquaintance from church played a couple years for Chicago.

• Heart 2

My LBS owner friend is married to a former collegiate & pro softball player. She guest played on our rec team once.  I about shit my pants warming her up.  Fuck she throws hard!

Anyway yeah pro softball has been a thing for a while as she’s my age. 

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Interesting that they have a pro league

We do too.  They are just not really followed, except by younger softball players.  

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My LBS owner friend is married to a former collegiate & pro softball player. She guest played on our rec team once.  I about shit my pants warming her up.  Fuck she throws hard!

Anyway yeah pro softball has been a thing for a while as she’s my age. 

Yea, watching college players warm up and throw is dang impressive.