I made real pizza dough for tonight

Dirtyhip

Wtf do you have against cauliflower, you anti-cauliflower nazi?

Cauliflower is great for salads and, well, cauliflower.   Pizza dough is great for pizza crust.  KEEP THE CRAP OUT OF THE PIZZA CRUST.  If you want to make some crap to throw sauce and cheese on that's fine.  Just don't try to convince real people that like real pizza, that it is what it isn't.

• Heart 1

Cauliflower is great for salads and, well, cauliflower.   Pizza dough is great for pizza crust.  KEEP THE CRAP OUT OF THE PIZZA CRUST.  If you want to make some crap to throw sauce and cheese on that's fine.  Just don't try to convince real people that like real pizza, that it is what it isn't.

Years ago, when people wanted to make pizza, they laid down sauce and cheese in the pan and baked it.  Then, some genius was shouted down for years when he said "Yeah, sauce and cheese and whatnot is great and all, but wouldn't it be better if you mixed up some flour, water, salt, and yeast and slapped that down as a platform for sauce and cheese and whatnot?"  Eventually people stopped shouting that down and it caught on and pizza was improved.

Don't stifle new ideas, or we get nothing new except new sadness.

Years ago, when people wanted to make pizza, they laid down sauce and cheese in the pan and baked it.  Then, some genius was shouted down for years when he said "Yeah, sauce and cheese and whatnot is great and all, but wouldn't it be better if you mixed up some flour, water, salt, and yeast and slapped that down as a platform for sauce and cheese and whatnot?"  Eventually people stopped shouting that down and it caught on and pizza was improved.

Don't stifle new ideas, or we get nothing new except new sadness.

Shut up!  That's stupid.

Shut up!  That's stupid.

Ok, go back to your cave where your neanderthal tribe is whipping up cheese on sauce on the fire and wondering why nothing is left after cooking.

Similarly, another genius eventually stopped getting shouted down for suggesting graham crackers would improve smores when it was just chocolate and marshmallows before, and everybody was happier for it.

I don't like smores.

you can't just have cheese and sauce...it will get all over your hands.

Yeah, there were lots of angry neanderthals back in the day.  They were getting frustrated after successful sauce and cheese hunts, only to burn their hands as they cupped them over the flames to cook the sauce and cheese.

Ok, go back to your cave where your neanderthal tribe is whipping up cheese on sauce on the fire and wondering why nothing is left after cooking.

Similarly, another genius eventually stopped getting shouted down for suggesting graham crackers would improve smores when it was just chocolate and marshmallows before, and everybody was happier for it.

I don't like smores.

That right there is part of your problem (only a part).  That is just UnMerican

That right there is part of your problem (only a part).  That is just UnMerican

I think the biggest problem is that I am not much of a marshmallow fan.  I like chocolate, though, but melty stuff out in the woods where there are frolicking bears is a bad idea.  They are very sensitive, and there will be trouble if not invited.

I think ham and hamburger on pizza is wrong, not enough flavor for a pizza meat.  Pepporoni, sausage, bacon, they all have the requisite salty cured flavor that is perfectly balanced by pineapple.

I have found that kalamata olives balance out pineapple if you are going meatless.

I really love jalapeno, artichoke hearts, scallions, bell pepper, mushroom and olive pizza.

We are having that with the exception of the jalapeno.  We forgot to buy one.

All you bastards will laugh at me, but a great pizza topping is toasted sesame seeds.  Really nice, you should try it.

So here's the deal with the veggie based crusts I've been working on lately. I've been going through some health issues and have been forced to change my diet. I now have to restrict sodium, fat and carbs... all of the things I love. I'm one of those people who doesn't just eat to live, I live to eat. I love cooking, I love eating and I love the the process of creating things in the kitchen that I, and others, will enjoy. Truth be told, I'm just as happy in a spice shop or kitchen store as I am in a bike shop. Turn me loose in a restaurant supply warehouse and I'm in heaven.

I'm the guy that was working on perfecting a slew of beer based recipes, including a killer pizza crust. Many of the foods I crave are off the table (literally) for me now in their current forms. I have been trying to use my culinary skills to modify them into a form that closely approximates the original while meeting my dietary restrictions. It hasn't been an easy road, but it's one I have no choice but to travel. It doesn't mean I can never have a real pizza again, but it means that it will be the exception now, not the rule.

I've shared my successes here because because I know there are others in similar situations. I know it's not for everyone, but hopefully others will see some benefit from it.

So here's the deal with the veggie based crusts I've been working on lately. I've been going through some health issues and have been forced to change my diet. I now have to restrict sodium, fat and carbs... all of the things I love. I'm one of those people who doesn't just eat to live, I live to eat. I love cooking, I love eating and I love the the process of creating things in the kitchen that I, and others, will enjoy. Truth be told, I'm just as happy in a spice shop or kitchen store as I am in a bike shop. Turn me loose in a restaurant supply warehouse and I'm in heaven.

I'm the guy that was working on perfecting a slew of beer based recipes, including a killer pizza crust. Many of the foods I crave are off the table (literally) for me now in their current forms. I have been trying to use my culinary skills to modify them into a form that closely approximates the original while meeting my dietary restrictions. It hasn't been an easy road, but it's one I have no choice but to travel. It doesn't mean I can never have a real pizza again, but it means that it will be the exception now, not the rule.

I've shared my successes here because because I know there are others in similar situations. I know it's not for everyone, but hopefully others will see some benefit from it.

I understand it completely, and I applaud your efforts.

I meant no harm to you.  You guys know I am usually quite healthy in my eating habits.  However, Pizza is one of my favorite things.  I can't go to a veggie crust.

I hope you stay healthy and can avoid the bad things that tend to make you not as healthy.  :D

I meant no harm to you.  You guys know I am usually quite healthy in my eating habits.  However, Pizza is one of my favorite things.  I can't go to a veggie crust.

I hope you stay healthy and can avoid the bad things that tend to make you not as healthy.  :D

She is lying, you know.   :whistle:

I have gone to bunless burgers, and prefer them now.  Just plop the burger (medium-rare, of course) on top of a nice salad and pour on the wing sauce for burger toppage and dressing, it is really nice.  I haven't tried the cauliflower crust yet, but I will.  Anything is healthier than flour, pretty much.

did you bake it before you put the sauce on?  For the appropriate amount of time?

That's the biggest deal. if you take it off too early, it gets a little mushy. The weather will also have an effect. When it was rainy here, I had to use a little more flour to tighten up the mixture.

did you bake it before you put the sauce on?  For the appropriate amount of time?

That's the biggest deal. if you take it off too early, it gets a little mushy. The weather will also have an effect. When it was rainy here, I had to use a little more flour to tighten up the mixture.

I used a little more flour than the first time, plus I baked it for about 30 minutes.

Here it is pre-toppings.

20141005_134512.jpg

UB, I'm very happy you shared the cauliflower crust.  I've made it twice.  Once it was spectacular, once it was mushy.  Gotta figure out what happened the second time.

Let me help you out, SquareHeadOne, you used cauliflower.  That's your problem.  You never get mushy crust with real dough.

Straighten up and fly right.