Cruise

Airehead

7 hours ago, Airehead said:

It seems prices are really dropping. Are people still hesitant to travel?

As a cruise lover, I'm still hesitant until I hear there's been a good year of cruising.

I want to do an Australia - New Zealand - Antarctic (Penguins) Cruise - the continents I haven't been to besides S.America, and those countries have around 95% vaccinations of those 16 and older.

I also want to do a Galapagos Cruise and maybe Machu Pichu.  80% of Peru's population is double-vaccinated and apparently over 90% o all Peruvians.

If we get a good year with no cruise ships rushing to ports due to outbreaks, I'll be looking to do one of them in 2023.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A coworkers mother is on a 4 week cruise she booked for $750.00.   At those rates, homeless people should move aboard.  

That's cheaper than my rent. Could I live on one year round for that price? I could get a remote job and live on a boat. Do they let you ride your bike on the deck?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Kids are germ-bombs!  Donald can SMASH those germs, but me? I just avoid kids where I can.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Start by admitting that just because you can imagine things going wrong doesn’t mean you’re right: “Thoughts are just thoughts,” says Hirsch. “They’re not always predictive of the actual outcome.”

...:facepalm:

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

As a cruise lover, I'm still hesitant until I hear there's been a good year of cruising.

I want to do an Australia - New Zealand - Antarctic (Penguins) Cruise - the continents I haven't been to besides S.America, and those countries have around 95% vaccinations of those 16 and older.

I also want to do a Galapagos Cruise and maybe Machu Pichu.  80% of Peru's population is double-vaccinated and apparently over 90% o all Peruvians.

If we get a good year with no cruise ships rushing to ports due to outbreaks, I'll be looking to do one of them in 2023.

If you're planning on Machu Pichu eventually...starting hiking ...in higher elevations for the  next few months consistently or at least before going. You will need to train your lungs and heart.  I've known 3 people on their own individual trips go there, including 1 of  my sisters.

It helps to be fit to enjoy the hike, etc.

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

If you're planning on Machu Pichu eventually...starting hiking ...in higher elevations for the  next few months consistently or at least before going. You will need to train your lungs and heart.  I've known 3 people on their own individual trips go there, including 1 of  my sisters.

It helps to be fit to enjoy the hike, etc.

Machu Picchu was surprisingly tough on some folks - usually older and/or out of shape.  This was due to the altitude (7,900') and the stairs - irregular and plentiful.  I'm sure Mick can handle it if he just keeps walking Jake and get's back on the bike, but the saddest sight at a place like Machu Picchu is seeing folks make it to the entrance (via the shuttle from Aguas Calientes) and then really getting stymied when entering the site with it's less than easy terrain.  Realistically, 8,000' isn't too tough on healthy folks, but the stairs combined with the altitude will be tough on folks who are both out of shape and no longer surefooted.  

Most folks here - Mick included - ought to be able to handle it - maybe just at a slower pace.

• Heart 1