If Cycling Allowed Doping, Would It Be Doping?

Razors Edge

29 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Cycling could turn a blind eye to doping but police might not. As in the past.

Do police actually enforce any doping controls in any other sports? Except Russia, I mean.  They clearly search long and hard for dopers coming in to their country, but in reality, how often does law enforcement care about doping in sports?  We had Balco and Puerto as two "biggies" but I think neither led to very much.  I know we also screwed some Olympic runner over pot recently, so maybe it's just not a real priority except in cycling?

It just seems really interesting that all the doping going on in all the other sports we talk about is never a "top line" topic, but it is for cycling.  Keep in mind, most if not all sports have their records consistently being broken, but it's the cycling ones that always get some interesting comments.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Why do you think they call it dope?

Would it still be "dope" if they just called it by its medical name?  I wonder what that spray is the doctors use on rider's knees is called? And if they need a TUE after bee stings for the shot? At some point, the dopes might be the ones not using normal drugs to help them out.  

Austria has been active in raiding for drugs in a number of Olympic sports including biathlon and skiing.  Congress had those very helpful hearings about doping in baseball. .

The sport can't allow anything that is illegal in the country, but they could change their rules to permit things that are currently prohibited by regulation but not illegal.  Is blood doping illegal in most countries?  I wouldn't assume so because there are legitimate medical treatments that use it.  There are a number of other drugs that are prohibited in competition, but not illegal. in many places.

I guess I'd be less enthused  about a sport that actively permitted and encouraged procedures that are generally harmful to people who don't have any legitimate medical need for them,  but I tend to think of the term "doping" as an unallowed advantage, so if  a sport permitted a procedure that is legal and generally available, I can't blame an athlete for doing it.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

But what about the guys who don't want to dope?  Are they dopes for not doping or are the dopers the only dopes?

I think most of the top contenders are doping. 

But even across the board. 

Cycling I've heard has allowed it because it makes for a more exciting race. I  would agree. 

I've seen a couple tours that it SEEMED  there was no or limited doping and it was pretty boring. 😴 

• Haha 1