What kind of evil is this?

Longjohn

I got this email yesterday. Yes I RIDE gravel. I do not run gravel. Not familiar with this gravel road but I surly would not want to run on my gravel roads.

Hello Mercer County Trails Association Patrons,

Your email is on our bicycle tour email list – or perhaps also from our running races.

We are sending this message to let you know about a fun running event we created last year.  It is a 6 mile gravel road run along the Shenango River near “Big Bend”.  The event is Sunday, November 20th at 9:30.  Registration is 8:15.  The start and finish area is about ½ mile from where registration is located (see attachment).  We are hoping that if you also run in addition to your riding, you may want to join us at this cozy little fun run/race.

Hope to see you there!  Registration and more details on this link https://www.mctrails.org/race-registrations/creekroadchallenge

Thanks

Kyle Garner

MCTA, Inc. – President/Event Director

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It’s the good kind of evil. The kind that gets people off their sofa and feeling a satisfying crunch beneath their feet. 

I was going to run in their half marathon the year my wife’s health took a turn for the worse. They run it on a bike trail that I ride all the time. I couldn’t do it that year because I was caring for my wife. I doubt I’ll ever get back into running at this stage in my life. Maybe after I talk to my cardiologist?

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I got this email yesterday. Yes I RIDE gravel. I do not run gravel. Not familiar with this gravel road but I surly would not want to run on my gravel roads.

The ONLY surfaces to run on are unpaved surfaces. Trail running (undulating and forested is best), so I applaud them trying to get knee-destroying runners off the absolute worst surfaces - concrete or asphalt - and onto more forgiving surfaces like cinders, gravel (packed a bit, hopefully) or good old dirt!

Maybe you can ride as a marshall on the course?

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

The ONLY surfaces to run on are unpaved surfaces. Trail running (undulating and forested is best), so I applaud them trying to get knee-destroying runners off the absolute worst surfaces - concrete or asphalt - and onto more forgiving surfaces like cinders, gravel (packed a bit, hopefully) or good old dirt!

Excellent point. Years ago I tried to be a runner. I ended up with horrible shin splints. 

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Excellent point. Years ago I tried to be a runner. I ended up with horrible shin splints. 

Two things for that - good shoes and unpaved surfaces!  Trail running never gives me shin splints or knee pain.  Asphalt can, and concrete is the worst.

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Great idea. Write back and offer to volunteer 

9 hours ago, smudge said:

You were pushing off your toes too hard. 
I have been getting back into running this fall. Mostly paved, but I found a stretch where I can get a couple miles along the river wash near home. The community college had a 5k about a month ago on a mostly trail course. It crossed near privet farm land so I need to check with the school to be sure it’s ok on non-race days.