Have I Mentioned...

Razors Edge

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Yea, the French bananagrams would be a headspinner for most of us.

I guess the thematic ones to buy, are intended to not to stretch the game for the next 24 hrs. for creating a marathon, mini-dictionary crossword-like puzzle.

If we were French or Spanish, we'd want the tiles that matched!

The nice thing about Bananagrams (but maybe a bad thing to some, I guess), is that it a pretty time-efficient game.  Depending on your total game tile count and how many players, we're only talking max of say 20 minutes of gameplay.  No epic Monopoly-esque marathons (thank god), and more "let's get a game in before dinner" type.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

We played this and Chinese Checkers with the couple we went with on our Alaskan cruise often enough. The kids played Unicorn Monopoly or Jenga while we were at it. Was fun.

We brought Phase 10 with us on a cruise we took with my BiL & his wife.  They were crazy competitive about it :)  Next time, we would bring Bananagrams too.

11 minutes ago, dinneR said:

I have not played it in years. Fun, simple game. I sold a lot of them years ago. Their other games all kind of flopped. Once the sales started to decline, their marketing ideas sucked. 

It's rare for game makers to keep hitting home runs, and its gotta be tough "living" off one big hit.

We're big - but not huge - game people.  At family gatherings of any length, we're sure to play some games.  No structured "game night" but right now, the Bananagrams is ready to go on short notice. 

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's rare for game makers to keep hitting home runs, and its gotta be tough "living" off one big hit.

We're big - but not huge - game people.  At family gatherings of any length, we're sure to play some games.  No structured "game night" but right now, the Bananagrams is ready to go on short notice. 

Bananagrams is great. The others fizzled. When sales declined, they did not offer discounts or incentives etc. They allowed the retailer to sell it for $1 off for a limited window.

Have you played Set? Still my favorite. 

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Just that on-line one. Not much recently, but was playing it daily for a while - at your recommendation a year or more ago.. 

They make a card game version that is fun in small groups. You can adapt the rules to fit your needs. Quiddler is a good one too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dinneR said:

They make a card game version that is fun in small groups. You can adapt the rules to fit your needs. Quiddler is a good one too. 

It's nice to have a nice closet full of options.  We've had a blast playing longer games like Ticket to Ride down to quick games like Spot It.  And all those in between.  So much more interactive than a movie or TV.  Outdoor stuff like bocce or corn hole or a neighborhood bike ride is fun too.

• Heart 1