Well this tomato season seemed pretty darn short

Ralphie

Late start, drought, and then cold and rainy are not ideal for a tropical plant.  And I also remain in the Tomato Twilight Zone where EVERY plant in my garden produces the same kind of tomato no matter how many varieties I planted.  Actually I did get a few pineapple tomatoes to go with the ones that were either very large cherries or very small early girl types. And a few early girl sized that were very tasty.  Even the orange cherry volunteer in the compost bin sort of fizzled out with the extreme dryness,

My garden was sort of an afterthought this year. I expected to be very busy and maybe moving. Then Lisa I mean Judie decided to come live in the country with me. I planted some maters, peppers, sweet onions, sunflowers, zucchini, and cucumbers. I didn’t spend as much time in my garden as my groundhog. He didn’t taunt me like he did in previous years but he did eat more tomatoes than I did. Some critter pulled up a loaded jalapeño plant. Must have got pissed off when he burned his mouth.

• Heart 1

In Maryland, Mother's Day is the normal plant-them-outside date.  I was a month late on June 11th.  Next year I plan for mid-May.

I only plant "indeterminate" tomato varieties: they keep producing tomatoes and blossoms up to the first hard frost that kills them.  Normally, that occurs around here at the end of October.  Last year it was the night of Nov. 21-22 and it may be late again this year!

This has been a relatively poor tomato season with so much rain many of my tomatoes split on the vine and tended to be watery.  My Bell Peppers have been superb and highly productive.  I may need to use more fertilizer and plan to do so next year: some kind of green garden stuff.

Still, I expect to be getting a ripe large tomato about every other day until frost and a lot of cherry tomatoes.  I'll do a thread on my current tomatoes and peppers.  They have lots of green tomatoes and blossoms like these Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes today:

SunGoldGreenBlossoms20231001.jpg.457db1ad08a94c0a80e33e031a023920.jpg

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

In Maryland, Mother's Day is the normal plant-them-outside date.  I was a month late on June 11th.  Next year I plan for mid-May.

I plant all indeterminate tomato varieties that keep producing tomatoes and blossoms up to the first hard frost that kills them.  Normally, that occurs around here at the end of October.  Last year it was the night of Nov. 21-22.

This has been a relatively poor tomato season with so much rain many of my tomatoes split on the vine and tended to be watery.  My Bell Peppers have been superb and highly productive.

Still, I expect to be getting a ripe large tomato about every other day until frost and a lot of cherry tomatoes.  I'll do a thread on my current tomatoes and peppers.  They have lots of green tomatoes and blossoms like these Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes today:

SunGoldGreenBlossoms20231001.jpg.457db1ad08a94c0a80e33e031a023920.jpg

That is a healthy looking tomato plant