You'll either be smarter or bored

bikeman564™

FTR, I feel like those pre-dated use by cyclists.  I know they were (still are) used for BB/pellet guns, and I remember seeing them as a kid around job sites.

What was their original purpose? And what genius thought, "This is perfect for bike tires"?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'd say guns, but its a guess.

winner.

Originally developed and the trademark owned by Crosman Corporation and introduced to the market in 1954, the Powerlet CO 2 cartridge has become the dominant source of power for inexpensive, rapid fire air guns from many manufacturers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

winner.

Originally developed and the trademark owned by Crosman Corporation and introduced to the market in 1954, the Powerlet CO 2 cartridge has become the dominant source of power for inexpensive, rapid fire air guns from many manufacturers.

When I was a kid, that's why I liked my Crossman pump BB/pellet gun.  No way I could afford to be replacing those cartridges!  

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

However the op question can't be answered because of other data not given.

What's the temperature of the gas inside the cartridge.  What's the volume of the cartridge

Like Schroders cat we can't know the pressure inside the cartridge because due to the low volume some pressure will be lost filling the pressure gauge to read what will then be the pressure in the cartridge and the gauge combo.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

winner.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2022/04/a-short-history-of-the-co2-airgun/

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What's the temperature of the gas inside the cartridge.  What's the volume of the cartridge

Like Schroders cat we can't know the pressure inside the cartridge because due to the low volume some pressure will be lost filling the pressure gauge to read what will then be the pressure in the cartridge and the gauge combo.

That's nowhere near as precise as @Kzoo's answer.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Interesting.  

I will also stress the that anyone buying their CO2 from a bike shop is wildly overpaying.  Head to Walmart and the BB gun aisle and get them dirt cheap. 12gram works perfect for road bikes, and a couple of 12gm is more than adequate for a gravel bike.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Interesting.  

I will also stress the that anyone buying their CO2 from a bike shop is wildly overpaying.  Head to Walmart and the BB gun aisle and get them dirt cheap. 12gram works perfect for road bikes, and a couple of 12gm is more than adequate for a gravel bike.

However, as soon as you get home, vent the tire and refill it with seasonal air.  CO2 leaks through the tube and the tire self deflates .

• Like 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

However, as soon as you get home, vent the tire and refill it with seasonal air.  CO2 leaks through the tube and the tire self deflates .

Yep - they start going soft immediately.  Not sure how much is from leakage vs the math stuff in the video having an impact too.

16 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

He cut a cartridge open and measured the volume. The gas temperature would be equal to ambient temperature.