longest bike tunnel

bikeman564™

33 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Seems so luxe, with that rubberized track inside a tunnel to reduce body vibrations. Already one is protected from the weather elements!!

Norway has a number of incredible transportation routes which blend bridges and multiple car tunnels...something we would never see in North America across / through narrow land strips/near mini-islands. The German engineering firm I worked for, started construction work on such a multi-type infrastructure over several hundred kms. long in Norway. I knew, because I would chat up with my counterpart in Norway.

• Like 1

For that sort of cash, Americans would demand moving sidewalks!  :D

Cyclists and pedestrians have an innovative new way of getting around in Bergen, Norway: a purpose-built tunnel that’s off-limits to cars.

The 1.8-mile-long tunnel, called Fyllingsdalstunnelen, officially opened in Bergen last weekend, reports CNN’s Maureen O’Hare. It took four years and roughly $29 million to build, but it should ultimately shorten commute times and encourage more people to ditch their cars.

Connecting Bergen’s city center with a residential neighborhood called Fyllingsdalen, the tunnel features designated lanes for cyclists and walkers to help streamline the flow of traffic. From end to end, traversing the entire route takes approximately 10 minutes on a bike or about 40 minutes on foot. Crews have lined the walking lane with blue rubber flooring designed to make it a little easier on the body than bare asphalt.

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

It said they needed an emergency exit tunnel for the tram tunnel so it is duel purpose.

The project’s designers knew they had to build a parallel tunnel for emergency evacuations from the tram, but they cleverly realized the secondary tunnel could pull double duty.

OK... that makes more sense.   I read parts of the article and saw $29 million.   :frantics:   My first thought...  that would never happen here. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

My first thought...  that would never happen here. 

They did spend millions reconstructing the tunnels on the GAP. But not 29 million, the tunnels were already there. They just had to clean them out and make them safe. The Big Savage tunnel was the most expensive.

• Heart 2

On 10/9/2023 at 6:39 AM, bikeman564™ said:

I am not sure what they mean by all purpose built but I have been in this gravel tunnel several times and it’s longer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Tunnel

image.jpeg.508c6cf2c5707b254afb87050ff73f08.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

I am not sure what they mean by all purpose built but I have been in this gravel tunnel several times and it’s longer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Tunnel

Because they built it for bikes, and the tunnel you posted was built for trains, then repurposed for bikes:dontknow:

• Thank You 1

12 hours ago, Ralphie said:

Riding through the curved Emlenton tunnel with no bike light was an awful experience. I just kept waiting to hit a rock and go down, but thankfully we all made it. 

For me, riding with or without a light, but relatively fast heading into a tunnel is always scary as crap as my eyes can't adjust fast enough from bright sunlight to dark enough to need a light.  Maybe not super common in the US, but riding in the Alps, going up, you may pass through quite a few short but dark tunnels. Of course, coming down, going 30+, those tunnels are sketchy as heck. Either drastically slow down to be safe, or hold the line and hope there isn't a pothole or rock "hidden" in the darkness. :frantics: