These smart watches ain't so smart

Dottleshead

I sat on a riding lawn mower for 3 1/2 hours today and my watch showed my heart rate spiked almost as high as my one hour workout at the gym-- only for 3 1/2 hours!  Needless to say, I burned a hell of a lot of fictitious calories.  It said I had burned over 600 of them.  So apparently the best way to lose weight is to sit on my phat ass on a riding lawn mower -- for 3 1/2 hours -- and then I can have that peanut butter milkshake -- that keeps entering my mind.  Seriously, this appears to be a problem. 

Actually you should see what happens when I cut my grass with my riding mower. If I forget the Chest Monitor and Starting the Other Activity I will see HR readings off the wrist monitor over 190 and calorie count off the charts. IMO the only time the Optical Monitors are accurate is when you are sleeping or at rest watching TV or typing on a keyboard.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/sports-fitness/f/forerunner-230-235/139300/calories-burnt-huge-help-with-understanding-activity-class-setting/773010

I'm going to wear my heart monitor next time I cut the grass with the riding lawn mower and debunk this POS over-the-top smart watch technology. Also, if your arms don't swing, it is impossible for it to determine if you are moving which is why cutting the lawn with a push mower won't tally your steps because your hands are in a fixed position.  

4 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I sat on a riding lawn mower for 3 1/2 hours today and my watch showed my heart rate spiked almost as high as my one hour workout at the gym-- only for 3 1/2 hours!  Needless to say, I burned a hell of a lot of fictitious calories.  It said I had burned over 600 of them.  So apparently the best way to lose weight is to sit on my phat ass on a riding lawn mower -- for 3 1/2 hours -- and then I can have that peanut butter milkshake -- that keeps entering my mind.  Seriously, this appears to be a problem. 

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/sports-fitness/f/forerunner-230-235/139300/calories-burnt-huge-help-with-understanding-activity-class-setting/773010

I'm going to wear my heart monitor next time I cut the grass with the riding lawn mower and debunk this POS over-the-top smart watch technology. Also, if your arms don't swing, it is impossible for it to determine if you are moving which is why cutting the lawn with a push mower won't tally your steps because your hands are in a fixed position.  

Use GPS and you can get a complete map of your mowing.

I kept getting nagged about an inordinately high heart rate when I was standing still...the thing is, I was lapping a part in on a surface plate, on sandpaper at the time. :rolleyes: Yes, I was standing in one place, but I was not inactive.

That being said, I got a chance to compare the Apple Watch HR with a lab-grade chest strap a few years ago when I signed up to be a lab rat in a fitness study for $45.  The watch matched the chest strap exactly and the VO2 Max guesstimate of the watch was fairly close to what their machine gave me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Good on you!

I will say, though, pushing a mower for those 5 acres would be a better workout :dontknow:

Way better! But then my smart watch ain’t so smart because my hands don’t move so no record of steps! It might get my heart rate though… 

Just now, Dottleshead said:

Is he eating out of the mulcher bag?  Because he's not at the wheel actually getting any work done. Typical.

He ran out of quarters to make it go...  Either that or the extension cord was not long enough...

Antique coin operated Tractor John Deere Farmer Kiddie Ride Green

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

you can insert bermuda, st. augustine, blue grass, rye grass, centipede, buffalo, fescu, bahia or bent grass to fit your need.