A Skanky Ditch Full of Dirty Water....

Johnny Come Lately Name

3 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Cool as a recent canal cyclist...I have an interest in this trail...Hmmmm could be another adventure...

They do it once a year as a supported ride, they haul your crap, feed you, and sag as needed. That is the ride I bought my 520 for in 2011. A great ride. 60% on the trail the rest on roads if I remember correctly. I logged 440 miles for the trip from Buffalo to Albany. They have massage therapists at every camp. We camped at cool places. A private high school, some public schools, a college, a park, a fort, and a zoo. Sign up early, they limit the ride to 500 people.

• Heart 1

FSOG- what else do you know about Fort Bull? My brother is interested in it.  

Long John- That is indeed a cool trip.  On your second time, you volunteer to SAG one day and ride for free making it even a better value.  The other days you help the helpless and spread good cheer.   I'd love to see a forum groupette on the Buffalo to Albany trip.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

FSOG- what else do you know about Fort Bull? My brother is interested in it. 

Once upon a time, I had a book about the deLery expedition....but that was long ago lost in the bowels of my ex's house. :(

All I remember was that they marched down from Montreal and torched what was pretty much a stockaded warehouse. I can't remember whether that was the second Fort Bull or the first. (It was like Swamp Castle ".....well that one burned down fell over and sank into the swamp, so we built another one...") I remember reading how they had to stop every few days and stroke the Indians, who were playing them for all they could: "Uh, we're going back, this is too hard....." "Wait, we'll give you more blankets, some beads, more muskets and some firewater...." "Well.......ok....."

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I've done some extensive research using Wikipedia sources, and discovered Fort 'Bull' was named after FroS' great-great-grandfather.  His full name was Bull S. Artist, but they just used his first name for the fort.

:whistle:

You heard of him? He was a Standup Philosopher. He coalesced the vapors of human existence into a viable and logical comprehension.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

....and I keep thinking: "I ought to do that.......wait, why would I pay to ride it....? ;)

They throw a good party. You don't have to load your bike up with 100# of camping crap. If you do the ride self supported they won't let you camp at the zoo. They feed you really well. You don't have to make any plans, pay the money, show up with your bike and ride. It helps support the New York State parks and trails. It is fun riding with this group.

• Heart 2

48 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They throw a good party. You don't have to load your bike up with 100# of camping crap. If you do the ride self supported they won't let you camp at the zoo. They feed you really well. You don't have to make any plans, pay the money, show up with your bike and ride. It helps support the New York State parks and trails. It is fun riding with this group.

Yeah, I know....It's just that I've ridden the whole middle section from Rome to DeWitt a bazillion times.....

Maybe someday.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah, I know....It's just that I've ridden the whole middle section from Rome to DeWitt a bazillion times.....

Maybe someday.

Here's a different one for the Chenango Canal.  At Binghamton there's a bus line that will let you put your bike in the luggage compartment for the ride back to Utica.  When I last checked about a year ago it cost about $20.

Some portions of the canal no longer exist, but I think there's enough left and some other stuff along the way to make it interesting.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4493012

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Maybe someday.

The day we were going to Rome we were on a road section of the trip.  After the arrows were painted on the road telling us where to turn the paving trucks came in and paved over the arrows.  I thought I carefully checked out each intersection where a possible turn would be but somehow missed where we were to turn left.  About ten miles or so later I saw another cyclist who was talking to a farmer trying to figure out where he needed to go. He was almost in panic mode.  I told him I checked out each intersection and was fairly sure we were on the right road.  He was really slow on hills so I went on ahead until I caught up with the paving trucks.  Ok, they would not send us on a road during the paving process.  I waited on the other guy and he was wanting to turn around and ride back the other way.  I told him we just needed to go on, haven't you heard "all roads lead to Rome"?  I felt like somewhat of a pro at wandering on roads where I wasn't sure where I was.  I suggested we take the next left.  He stopped at a convenience store and looked at a map, we were headed straight for Rome.  Our road ramped on to an expressway and he wanted to take it.  I told him no bikes allowed.  He had another panic attack.  I told him the road we were on was probably the business route of the same road.  When we arrived at our camp we were within a mile of the same mileage as the folks who went the right way.  I told you all roads lead to Rome.:nodhead:

• Heart 2

55 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Not.......public transportation....?????? :huh:

Yeah, it's a sacrifice, but I was trying to figure out a way to get back to the start without riding the same route in reverse, and to reduce the days off I'd have to take to do the trip. 

I mean the thought that I'd have to leave my car parked somewhere in Utica for few days is scary enough, so taking public transportation back might mean I'd get back before the car was completely stripped...

• Heart 1

That looks fun. Glad to see you enjoying things.

Hey, I see narrow tires on your bike. 

Oh, and that Tannas Tuscan salt was fantastic. I am addicted to it for certain things. I bought another type of Tuscan salt and I did not like it. I'm going to search the web and buy the Tanna one. Thanks again.

17 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I mean the thought that I'd have to leave my car parked somewhere in Utica for few days is scary enough

Gee, if only there were someone who lived nearby where you could leave your car.....if only they would drop you off and pick you up.....

.....if only....

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Hey, I see narrow tires on your bike. 

My SS 29'er. The Beargrease is WAY overkill for something like that. It's much more at home here:

IMG_0033.JPG

Oh, and that Tannas Tuscan salt was fantastic. I am addicted to it for certain things. 

:( Tanna's health isn't too good and her daughter -who is supposed to be taking over the business- is showing no interest, so there is no more Tuscan salt, chutney or Garam Masala to be had. However... since there has been so much interest, my sister (who helped develop the products) is thinking about making a replacement.