Our power is back on.

sheep_herder

I can't remember the last time I'd lost power in my home. Maybe back in the 80's there'd been some incidents in my neighborhood where the power was out, but now with many areas having underground lines and such, at best you'll experience a surge or something that resets the clocks. 

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

For just such occasions I bought a small portable generator. It's good enough to keep the fridge running, some lights, a fan, plus a small TV. It works great! Since I bought it, the power has never gone out.

That's exactly how that works.  Your investment isn't in the ability to have power when the lines fail, it's to keep the lines from failing.  Here's hoping you never have to use it.

3 hours ago, Olas Nah said:

I can't remember the last time I'd lost power in my home. Maybe back in the 80's there'd been some incidents in my neighborhood where the power was out, but now with many areas having underground lines and such, at best you'll experience a surge or something that resets the clocks. 

There are not too many underground lines in the rural part of the county.  Thought about getting a generator, but that is far as it has gone.  A big concern for us is running the pump, so the livestock have water.  Yes we are also concerned about the furnace in the winter and refrigeration in the summer, etc.  We can always keep food outside or in the garage in the winter.