What is up with your damn avatar?

Randomguy

9 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

@Tizeye, I don’t remember the story about that photo. 

Thought it was Sept, but based on photo dates, Oct 11, 2020. Will have to check medical insurance reports. Anyway, was 14 miles into a 30 mile ride on a bike trail, nearing turnaround point but had to do this "Florida hill" pedestrian overpass. It was clear and got up to 29MPH on downside, but unable to brake hard enough for an unbanked 90 degree turn, wiping out and sliding on my left side. A nursing student, wife and infant were walking in opposite direction, saw the crash and came to my assistance, gave me initial assistance, and a mask where walked bike to nearby McDonalds where cleaned up the obvious in the restroom. While obvious road rash on left side, later discovered a puncture wound in right calf which assume was from brake lever, but didn't impact vein...simple oozing bleed.  Assume the hematoma is where my left side came down on the handlebar. After cleaning up, re-routed over streets rather than re-trace trail, and pedaled 6 miles home. The thigh blew up to about grapefruit size 2 miles from home. Didn't think my head was involved, but a day later looked at my helmet - both scrapes and pebbly impact texture. Wife took me to a walkin medical care and they pointed me to the ER. While they did extensive workup, discovered also had a fractured clavicle, which thankfully healed/reset with sling only, no surgery to insert and later remove pins.

Fast forward to today, while I don't have a current photo in bike shorts, the hematoma had a circumference measurement of 30-31" where today no longer has the expansion, stretching pressure and shrunk to 26-27". For reference, my right side is 23". May have elongated some as can now roll over on that side, not normal sleeping position,  which puts pressure on that side, hoping enhanced drainage/re-absorbtion into the body. Good new, no evidence of calcification, bad news, noticing some peripheral neuropathy in both feet which will bring up in my scheduled Sept exam. 

Oh, and I did get a haircut...Feb 2021, and complained that the 1 year warranty on the prior haircut didn't work. :D

ER-1500px.jpg

Helmet-1500px.jpg

Sling-1500px.jpg

• Hugs 1

Got it. @Tizeye I remembered something about hematoma but not the rest. Thank you for telling the story again. How are you with that segment of trail? I ask because there’s an intersection I frequent where I fell over while clipped in and I still have something of a hitch going through there now. I start rolling, get a little anxious, stop rolling and reset myself. It’s annoying. 

57 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Got it. @Tizeye I remembered something about hematoma but not the rest. Thank you for telling the story again. How are you with that segment of trail? I ask because there’s an intersection I frequent where I fell over while clipped in and I still have something of a hitch going through there now. I start rolling, get a little anxious, stop rolling and reset myself. It’s annoying. 

Haven't been back as wife objects anytime get near road bike, so mountain bike only...and little does she realize it is more technical. 5 miles on a mountain bike is a similar workout to 30 on the road. While road bike appears intact, brakes are good, but I don't trust them. Disc on mountain bike have more stopping power than calipers on road bike. While I do (always) need a new bike, now is not time to broach the subject.

Thanks to this thread, I need to change my avatar, blame @randomguy. Let's see...should it be the 1) shorts, 2) helmet (i.e. always wear one), or 3) the ER gurney?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Thanks to this thread, I need to change my avatar, blame @randomguy. Let's see...should it be the 1) shorts, 2) helmet (i.e. always wear one), or 3) the ER gurney?

I like the camera. You also published a book, right?