Mad bike skills story

Parsnip Totin Jack

Somewhere in the annals of bike history is a photo of Larry Fignon on the deck after snapping his crank spindle and smashing his nads on the top tube.  He was on his way to victory that I recall too.

I wonder if his nads would have been better off hitting a Carbon top tube...

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

See!  Damn carbon fiber crank spindles breaking. That stuff is fragile!

Going back a ways but I think this was when TI was starting to be used and they hadn’t gotten the alloys right yet...

1982 Blois Chavelle, a defunct semi classic.

Damn I’m old...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Old#7 said:

The cracked top tube. Trek will give her a 20% discount on a new frameset “crash replacement”. She can’t afford that right now. So she’s riding a beater bike until she can afford a new bike.

83E3698A-C81A-4DC1-A462-71427682F885.jpeg

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly! He totally posted the WRONG photo!  WTF?  Hoohahs are the bread and butter of most internet sites.

....that's a negative mold in 3 dimensions of a hoohah.  It should be good enough for you.

31 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Exactly, see how the plastic just gave way!  His nads would have been much better off hitting Carbon than steel.

...you need to watch more of the video, until you get to the composite CF tube.  Right t the end, about 2 minutes into the video.  It breaks a lot like that top tube photo.  And it has minimal deflection....from a 111 pound chisel point anvil drop from 15 feet.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, I'm embarrassed for you that you don't have some better videos!  I want to see solid steel dominating!

...do you have a steel pry bar out in the garage ? Hit yourself in the nuts with it and video the whole thing. Please post it in this thread.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...do you have a steel pry bar out in the garage ? Hit yourself in the nuts with it and video the whole thing. Please post it in this thread. 

Your lack of willingness to help out with advancing science is why you are stuck in the middle of the 20th century.  You and the Cubans! It's a crying shame, but maybe you can help @Dottie finish his deck using that hard won wisdom. 

52 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you need to watch more of the video, until you get to the composite CF tube.  Right t the end, about 2 minutes into the video.  It breaks a lot like that top tube photo.  And it has minimal deflection....from a 111 pound chisel point anvil drop from 15 feet.

That’s cool, I already know steel is real.  When I bought my Carbon Bianchi 10 years ago I was actually looking at the Lemond Sarth But I didn’t want the 105 group and couldn’t buy just the frame.

I bought the bike for the price more so than anything else but after 10 years I suppose it will turn to plastic dust any day now...

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I bought the bike for the price more so than anything else but after 10 years I suppose it will turn to plastic dust any day now... 

You just have to remove the BB, spray some of the new CF Frame Saver up in there, make sure you move the frame around to spread it around on the inside, and the put everything back together. That should prevent the carbon from turning to plastic dust.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Your lack of willingness to help out with advancing science is why you are stuck in the middle of the 20th century.

...I still have a land line phone. True story.  The extension in the kitchen is an old Princess wall phone from AT+T. All my hand saws are old Disston's, and I get them sharpened at a local place where the guy does it with a file.  Most of my bikes are from the 70's and 80's though, so it's disingenuous of you to say I'm stuck in the middle of the 20th Century.  The 80's are well forward into the second half.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You just have to remove the BB, spray some of the new CF Frame Saver up in there, make sure you move the frame around to spread it around on the inside, and the put everything back together. That should prevent the carbon from turning to plastic dust.

...how old is your oldest bicycle ?

8 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I still have a land line phone. True story.  The extension in the kitchen is an old Princess wall phone from AT+T. All my hand saws are old Disston's, and I get them sharpened at a local place where the guy does it with a file.  Most of my bikes are from the 70's and 80's though, so it's disingenuous of you to say I'm stuck in the middle of the 20th Century.  The 80's are well forward into the second half.

How about your car? 1970’s or 1980’s?

• Heart 1