The fucking sourdough bread project

Parsnip Totin Jack

I’ve got sourdough starter in the fridge that is hungry. I poured off the discard into a food-grade bucket. Fed the starter and fed the discard as I’m going to use that to make sourdough bread. I want to use rye, but I’m out and I’m not going to the germy place cause they’re probably out of all flour products for the next six months. I’m looking for a recipe but not sure which one to go with. I pulled a bread cookbook off the shelf and found one that’s close enough. Using it as a guide, I added a cup of whole wheat flour and two cups of Caputo to the fed starter. Added enough water to get a wet or slack dough. I’ll let that rise for a few hours and then add flour and salt to make a dough the looks ready to make bread. I’ll probably let the dough ride in the fridge overnight and bake tomorrow. We will see how this turns out.

• Heart 3

I went with the Caputo flour. I added heaping tablespoons until the dough pulled away from the sides and formed a smooth ball. Kneaded with the dough hook for five minutes. Turned out into the food bucket and coated with avocado oil to rise. Marked level with painters tape and noted the time. I will check in two hours.

C808E526-557A-4AD0-9846-0AC5F36C758C.jpeg

38EA97D2-F413-42F6-AEEE-28D5AC33A564.jpeg

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Scofflaw said:

Time for a fucking update pic. :D

I woke up at 2 am and pulled the bucket out of the fridge; went back to bed. Pic is at 8 am. It is risen. After breakfast I made two loaves and placed them in bowls lined with parchment to proof. I don’t have the fancy proofing baskets. Wo7 and I went for a Sunday drive. Heated the oven to 475 with a baking stone and a Dutch oven. When it was hot I slashed one loaf, dropped it and the parchment into the hot Dutch oven. Bake for 30, remove lid and bake some more. Fuckin repeat the process for the second loaf. More fuckin pics to follow 332B3263-7CE5-410C-9BA5-40EFEDA44C73.thumb.jpeg.69bf864fd53ba42da5898af5d75aae67.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scofflaw said:

Give me a few minutes to churn some butter. I show up on your doorstep, and we can enjoy bread and butter! 

Ya know.... I have time on my hands. If I could find some yeast, I could make bread.... Hmmm

You don’t need yeast, I didn’t. That’s the beauty of sourdough, you use yeast that’s in the flour and your environment. Make a starter and feed it. Ten minutes time tops. 

• Heart 1

45 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

You don’t need yeast, I didn’t. That’s the beauty of sourdough, you use yeast that’s in the flour and your environment. Make a starter and feed it. Ten minutes time tops. 

Ohhh yeaaaaa.... I think I knew that a long time ago. But anyway, I make bread that uses yeast. Then again I don't haaaaaavvve to do it that way.