Sudden rules changes can be a problem.

maddmaxx

My 13.5 superstock car has just been effectively outlawed by a rules change late in the building season.  A lot of people have been complaining that a lower performance class was not the beginner class that they expected and had become a racer class for slightly slower cars.  They abandoned the class and created a new class for 17.5 but the rules are written in such a way that within a few weeks of the season starting beginners will have no chance there either.

First observation, no spec class is really good for beginners unless there is a single specific motor, throttle, tire written into the rules.

Second observation, the faster racers will be faster anyway because the spend more time perfecting the car to make best use of what the rules allow.

Now I will have to scramble around a bit and probably put the superstock power in the bracket car and turn the superstock car into either a stocker or an outlaw.

Just now, donkpow said:

This is a perpetual problem in all motorsports arenas. All I can say is, Go big or go home.

I may.  There is a full on outlaw motor and ESC in a parts tub on the end of the bench.  They are just so fast that they border on dangerous though.  I will probably run the limited gasser most of the year.  I actually make prize money in that class.

• Heart 1

I used to see limited classes with certain structures. Guys would skirt the rules or out and out violate them. Without a teardown before and after a race, the rules couldn't be enforced. There was the rule that said anybody could by your car for x number of dollars. Then there was a gentleman's agreement not to do that. Not everybody can afford to race. That's all there is to it. Even if you build your own track and league, people behave the same.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I used to see limited classes with certain structures. Guys would skirt the rules or out and out violate them. Without a teardown before and after a race, the rules couldn't be enforced. There was the rule that said anybody could by your car for x number of dollars. Then there was a gentleman's agreement not to do that. Not everybody can afford to race. That's all there is to it. Even if you build your own track and league, people behave the same.

The problem is imbedded in any racing for money.  At least in outlaw, the rules are simple.  For all practical purposes there aren't any other than the basic definition of rear wheel drive, 2S battery 2060 grams min weight and 4 shocks on a suspension that shows movement.  Simple to tech.  Other than playing, outlaw is too fast for me and the entry fees are too big because racing for money.  I'll probably run stock, CT gasser and bracket this year.  I could sell the outlaw motor setup.  There is talk about retaining the 13.5 class as is locally because too many folks are invested in it.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The problem is imbedded in any racing for money.  At least in outlaw, the rules are simple.  For all practical purposes there aren't any other than the basic definition of rear wheel drive, 2S battery 2060 grams min weight and 4 shocks on a suspension that shows movement.  Simple to tech.  Other than playing, outlaw is too fast for me and the entry fees are too big because racing for money.  I'll probably run stock, CT gasser and bracket this year.  I could sell the outlaw motor setup.  There is talk about retaining the 13.5 class as is locally because too many folks are invested in it.

Maybe you should just stay on the porch.

Yeah. Unless there’s a sweeping tech change, like when brushless motors came out for example, there’s no reason they can’t give more time for a rules change to take effect. 
I got into gas racing when they first introduced tye 1/10th gas class. They used a 2.5cc instead of 3.5cc engine, single speed transmission. Suspension had more to do with 1/12th and 1/10th scale pan cars than the full suspension, 2 speed 1/8th top class. Manufacturers pushed and got the rules modified so that the class became a smaller version of the 1/8 th scale cars. They were no less expensive and the class died because people decided they might as well race 1/8th. That’s what I did. 
Bolink introduced a car based on the look of the dwarf cars at the time. NASCAR called them Legends so that’s what Bolink called them. They were ultra simple. We made a class of them at our club and they were a hit! They stayed popular because it was so easy to catch cheaters. We made them use a spec motor and tires. They were popular after I moved on until they lost the indoor track and the LHS owner stopped holding parking lot races. 

• Heart 1