Students teaching the teachers

12string

40 minutes ago, Fret Buzz said:

Without their cancel culture, what would we have to be unjustifiably outraged about?

Rickets, polio, or maybe cholera… Bring back some disease so we have a legit existential threat folx recognize. Plague of frogs…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 12string said:

My daughter teaches HS in the city.  They were putting on a show, but rather than pay for rights to something, they wrote it themselves.  

She got some really interesting perspectives.

Set in the late 1800's West, it was about a Black lesbian running for Sheriff.  Yep, her opponent was typical Wild West Sherriff material.  TONs of references to current culture wars and politics.  All told from the perspective of mostly black inner city teens.  She did learn a bunch about their perspectives, more than she normally gets from them

When I was in high school, there was Senior Play every year.

A guy named Bill wrote a Western parody called Bonernosa and we put on the play.

Most of the teachers had no clue of the sexual references made but I'm sure some did.

We didn't teach much about our perspectives though, except that every straight guy in the school wanted to nail Darlene.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

My daughter teaches HS in the city.  They were putting on a show, but rather than pay for rights to something, they wrote it themselves.  

She got some really interesting perspectives.

Set in the late 1800's West, it was about a Black lesbian running for Sheriff.  Yep, her opponent was typical Wild West Sherriff material.  TONs of references to current culture wars and politics.  All told from the perspective of mostly black inner city teens.  She did learn a bunch about their perspectives, more than she normally gets from them

Glad they created the play. Lots of "collaboration".  And probably lots of laughs in-between the planning sessions amongst the teens ..and some serious moments of ruminating.  They probably learned alot about the group creative process and planning. Very helpful.

As HS teen, I was involved in the "creative" group thing, by helping with stage set designs for a HS musical.  I didn't design it but was involved in set painting,etc.  I did also help decorate the gym for HS formal..which was....(drum roll) Japanese cherry blossom orchard theme. No, it was a pr. of senior students who thought of it.

Then my best friend was running for student council president HS election.  So I created a large wall to wall poster mural of multi-colour construction paper of dancers...Boop-de-boo, vote for Sue. (yes, her name was Susan).

She did win the HS council election... along with a guy. They were a good set.

Teens can be very creative if adults let go and set very minimal rules (ie. budget, use facilities). In fact, ....pretty amazing stuff.  

I really did mean that Muse rules me throughout life...though right now, I'm suppressing the butterfly/dragon.