Tipping

Dirtyhip

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I hate that, too.  There's a sub shop where a tip comes up on the checkout screen.  I don't see that there's any unusual service deserving it.

Also, it used to be that 15% was the highest expected tip in restaurants for excellent service.  Now it's 18% and there's often a 21% or higher amount listed on restaurant bills.

It should be like France.  If the menu says the meal costs 25 Euros, THAT is what you pay.  Tips and sales tax are built-in to the price.  It's not "Buying Tax," it's "SALES tax."  Why should I pay the seller's tax?

Thank you!!!!

I am tired of the entire restaurant industry.  I should try and see how long I can go without using anything but a grocery and my garden.

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

We certainly can't have you being ANNOYED if it would benefit a worthy charity, now, can we?

"Worthy"?  They'd be worthy if they bothered to put in some effort! The tip jar inside, or, perhaps even better, some volunteer standing outside ringing a bell to get my change.  

If they're not making an effort, why should I?  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Worthy"?  They'd be worthy if they bothered to put in some effort! The tip jar inside, or, perhaps even better, some volunteer standing outside ringing a bell to get my change.  

A lot of people here donate to United Way.  There is a big push to sign up all the employees.  We are paying big to line CEO pockets in charities, which means less to charity.  Big no thank you on that.  

Mr. Gallagher (United way CEO) received nearly $7 million in compensation over the past 5 years.

• 2019:  $1,578,515
  • 2018:  $1,076,870
  • 2017:  $1,663,398
  • 2016:  $1,223,823
  • 2015:  $1,236,611

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Go somewhere to buy something, and you have to be first and the cashier acts like they are doing you a favor to sell you their crap.  I find more and more customers saying "Thank you." The cashier says "You're welcome."  WTF!?!

In most cases, the cashier is not the business.  When someone does something for you (cash you out at the register), even if it is their job, it is customary to say thank you.  Simple courtesy.  You don't thank the bagger?  The cart guy if he happens to be near and collects your cart from you?  You don't thank your wait person at a restaurant?  The concierge/host(ess)?  Sure, they may thank you for coming, but you should still thank them for their service, however small.  These people make below the poverty line and you just turn up your nose at them?

• Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

In most cases, the cashier is not the business.  When someone does something for you (cash you out at the register), even if it is their job, it is customary to say thank you.  Simple courtesy.  You don't thank the bagger?  The cart guy if he happens to be near and collects your cart from you?  You don't thank your wait person at a restaurant?  The concierge/host(ess)?  Sure, they may thank you for coming, but you should still thank them for their service, however small.  These people make below the poverty line and you just turn up your nose at them?

Of course and I do say thank you. I have just noticed that retailers no longer appreciate our purchases. The culture has shifted. They ring it up and say nothing to you.

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Of course and I do say thank you. I have just noticed that retailers no longer appreciate our purchases. The culture has shifted. They ring it up and say nothing to you.

I don't think that's the "retailers", it's the workers.  The "culture" is one of entitlement, and trying to get young people to do pretty much anything these days is an uphill battle.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

A lot of people here donate to United Way.  There is a big push to sign up all the employees.  We are paying big to line CEO pockets in charities, which means less to charity.  Big no thank you on that.  

Mr. Gallagher (United way CEO) received nearly $7 million in compensation over the past 5 years.

• 2019:  $1,578,515
  • 2018:  $1,076,870
  • 2017:  $1,663,398
  • 2016:  $1,223,823
  • 2015:  $1,236,611

My boss was not happy when several of the scientist refused to pay into the United Way due to their high overhead. I think he liked to brag about how much the Fort gave to the cause.

12 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I don't think that's the "retailers", it's the workers.  The "culture" is one of entitlement, and trying to get young people to do pretty much anything these days is an uphill battle.

Maybe you have it flipped? You can generally tell a business that has a good "culture" by the happy employees. A happy employee is going to interact with you and be engaged and say "thank you" or reply "you're welcome".  That culture is coming from the top down.  There are youngsters at Wegmans, Trader Joes, Chick-fil-a, and other national big retailers who are "happy".  Service with a smile. It's because they are seemingly getting treated well by the company, happy to be at work, and happy to interact.  Age has nothing to do with it.  The workers don't (much) either as in few exceptions, well treated folks behave well, and crappily treated ones  will behave crappy.

Just now, sheep_herder said:

My boss was not happy when several of the scientist refused to pay into the United Way due to their high overhead. I think he liked to brag about how much the Fort gave to the cause.

My old employer (in the 1990s) had UW come in every year and give a charity presentation.  Our giving options, though, were a "broad" United Way (where they direct the charity and take a cut), but also lots (hundreds?) of direct-to-a-charity options.  If you picked "ASPCA", then all (100%) of your weekly/monthly donation went to the ASPCA. Maybe that's a corporate level choice - give employees one option (United Way) or many options?

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My old employer (in the 1990s) had UW come in every year and give a charity presentation.  Our giving options, though, were a "broad" United Way (where they direct the charity and take a cut), but also lots (hundreds?) of direct-to-a-charity options.  If you picked "ASPCA", then all (100%) of your weekly/monthly donation went to the ASPCA. Maybe that's a corporate level choice - give employees one option (United Way) or many options?

I think it may have been a state cost rather than overhead. Whatever, several of us were not willing to pay it just to keep the boss happy. We donate plenty without going that route.

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Oh, maybe because you're of sound body and (reasonably) sound mind, you have considerable gifts and talents, you have all the food you could want, you have a home, and it's a peaceable and happy home, people around you who love and care about you, and, drawing on what you post here, most of the difficulties in your life are 'annoyances'.

Others - they may not be nearly so blessed.  Others - the effort that they are making to lift themselves up by their own energies and initiatives - may not be visible to you, but they are making that effort just the same even though you don't see it.

I'm sure you contribute to those less fortunate than you in your own way. And that is commendable and admirable. 

My point being - as an example -  a small gesture such as overcoming an annoyance, saving your change, and donating it to a charity of your choosing will in all likelihood change someone's life for the better.

They will never know whom to thank, and you'll never know to whom to say 'You're welcome!' but that's unimportant because you would have made it happen. :nodhead:

• Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

My point being - as an example -  a small gesture such as overcoming an annoyance, saving your change, and donating it to a charity of your choosing will in all likelihood change someone's life for the better.

No way.  If some charity wants my change but not my CC, they can go figure out a better way to get it. 

Change is for the "tip jar" or, if a charity is local and proactive (not distant and lazy), the "donation jar".  

We're not a nation of entitled moochers. We're go getters, and the go getting charities are the ones that make an effort!

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Funny story, I've actually had cashiers tell me they would give me bills for my change when they realized I had a bunch in my pocket. I know, you would never have a bunch in your pocket.

Not on a bike ride, that's for sure!  I don't bring my wallet, either, so there is that :dontknow:  Maybe some folks do?

On 9/24/2023 at 5:20 PM, Dirtyhip said:

I tip for bagels. Even if they just load the bag.  I figured they have actually do something. 

The person who pushed three keys probably did a lot more behind the scenes to assure you’d have access to a refreshing drink after your hike. Better wages would be great! Crowdsourcing some monetary support during their shift is ok, too.