Anytime Fitness

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

13 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Certain food dishes you can but it will require a very different way of thinking and prepping certain dishes for home...maybe some you've never had (much) before but will have more often.  Can include celebratory salad with...pomegranate seeds..in celebration of Christmas, etc. 

I would bring in 1 pre-made thing into home celebratory meal.  For me, it would be a sugar-free, (preferably matcha or spicy) latte since I don't have a latte making machine at home. (I probably will have a little dessert for Christmas.. small piece of baklava OR  a little tart with pastry snowflake....)

22 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

...you can't go out to breakfast, lunch, or dinner to celebrate.

I was thinking more in line with a big ass breakfast or maybe some salt infested Pho.  To be honest, I'm battling with that idea a bit. Drinking coffee and watching American football.

Well..you schedule it..that brunch or dinner..still try to make healthier choices..and I would try to not think of it as a reward..food as a reward can be a slippery slope...I would still plan on it..maybe every 5 or 6 weeks..because you do deserve a little treat now and then..maybe REWARD yourself with $50 in a special savings account for every 5 or 10 pounds :dontknow:

My neighbor was very helpful when I decided to eat healthier to drop my cholesterol..for our weekend lunch or lunches..we made an effort to select a place that had decent salads or healthier meals..it can be a challenge but we managed

• Heart 1

Dottleshead,  I envy you living a region with immediate access to the freshest and quality seafood.

So perhaps a fish dish... dearie and I have done this.  Seafood is faster to cook anyway. 

He did most of cooking for Christmas, special occasion meals, because he wanted to because his daughter also joined us.  I'm glad he insisted on this, because now she has good memories of her father's creative home cooking, usually a multi-course 4-5 dishes (we had bought gourmet cake from German fine baker. Sorry.) 

For a Christmas, he did try wrapping salmon filet in phyllo.  It was ok... better when pan fried or roasted with a very light sauce.  Other years we had giant NW coast scallops, etc.  Alot of people who love seafood would celebrate in that way.

Eff the human body.  I've had less than 1000 calories in the last 2 days with over 1000 calories burned and my result?  I gained 4/10 of a pound.  But I'm going to do it one more day before allowing myself to have about 2000 calories tomorrow.  In theory I can have 2200 a day w/o a jump.

5 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Eff the human body.  I've had less than 1000 calories in the last 2 days with over 1000 calories burned and my result?  I gained 4/10 of a pound.  But I'm going to do it one more day before allowing myself to have about 2000 calories tomorrow.  In theory I can have 2200 a day w/o a jump.

4/10 of a pound is a good trip to the bathroom :whistle:

How much plain water are you drinking?

Patience grasshopper 

So I stepped up and had a whopping 1400 calories yesterday w/ no workout and managed to gain another half pound.  That's right.  I've had 900, 1100, and 1400 calories last 3 days with over a 1000 calories burned on the exercise bike and still managed to go up a pound.  Yes @petitepedal I emptied my tank before I get on the scale.  I always do.  So screw it.  Today features eating a piece of pumpkin pie or two.  Eff you body!  Heh.  Watch me lose a couple pounds by tomorrow.

I am getting on the exercise bike shortly while my wife cooks.  I'll be riding the stationary bike and watching some football.

Well the march continues. I’ve been on a level plateau for about 9 days now. The scale needle does not advance. I have reduced my caloric daily intake to about 1200-1400 calories a day and hitting the gym 5 nights a week where I burn between 300 - 500 calories each outing.  Now I’m implementing intermittent fasting where I only eat in a window of 4-8 hours. I know it’s patience. I know it’s a 56 year old body fighting back, but for fucksakes, “Would it kill you to drop a single pound once in awhile?”  What a stingy jerk. I’m warning you, “If you keep this up, I’m going to drive you into submission.”

Next step is to work out with a trainer and try to get to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Get more sleep. After that I don’t have many tricks left.

I guess there’s always meth.

5 hours ago, petitepedal said:

just a reminder if you cut back too much your metabolism will slow even more thinking you are starving!!

Yeah, I was told to bump it up to 1500 a day.  Heck, I'll even go to a whopping 1600.  We went out for Indian food yesterday.  First time I've eaten out in about 2 months. It was delish.

• Heart 1

I should complain more often.  See above.  In the last 48 hours, I've dropped 2.5 lbs -- after about 10+ days of busting my chops and eating like a rabbit -- only to watch it increase by a pound.  That's almost 3.5 lbs in this week and almost 15 lbs in the last month.  I'm in awe of that myself and I know that I can't keep that up.  At this point if I can lose 5-6 lbs a month, I'll be very happy.  I think that's doable.

1)  Track food and be liberal on calorie counting.  Cutting corners on the food app is only lying to yourself.  In doubt, pad extra calories onto that homemade item. You want to error on over counting rather than under.

2)  Work out daily or get some more physical activity.  Even if it's 20 minutes of semi-vigorous activity, you can burn 130 calories. I typically burn 300-500 each time I go to the gym but I have no shame if I walk out of there only burning 100.  In fact anything burned off with daily activity cuts into those calories. 

3)  Speaking of gym, measure workouts in terms of calories burned.  That means if 200 is my goal, I can take 1-8 hours to burn it.  Just make sure you burn it. Workout sessions should not be timed based.  You're done when the calories are burned.  It doesn't matter how long it takes.

4)  Find yourself a healthy low cal meal for dinner and eat it as regularly as you can.  In my case, my wife makes a batch of cauliflower rice, mixed vegetables, lean ground turkey, garlic, coconut aminos and I squirt gobs of sriracha sauce on it.  It's delicious, I eat a lot of it, and I still come in under 200 calories.  

5) Limit the window you stuff your cauliflower rice hole with and eat all your daily calories in a window of 4-8 hours.  

6) Try to have that window be in daylight hours.  Any eating during night hours is probably going to be problematic. It was/is for me.

7) Eat more protein and less carbs.  I have a protein shake for breakfast and maybe some oatmeal or sourdough toast.  

8) This is the most important step in my view.  You can't be perfect day in and day out, so don't try.  Just be better each day or hold and keep marching forward.  If you slide back some, make it temporary.  It doesn't have to be throw in the towel... "I can't do it... I'm a failure.... now where's my slice of pie?" mentality.  You fell off, now limit the damage and get back up.

9) Make it a game.  "Hey stomach, I just filled your ass with some cauliflower shit and while you're distracted with that, I'm going to ride this bike 40 minutes and burn all those calories you're going to produce as well as taking from my fat reservoirs. Turns out -- when it comes right down to it, stomach -- you can bark a lot and be demanding -- but you're not too damn bright" 

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

The last couple days I've been eating 1600 calories.  But if you believe those machines and smart watches, I burned 500 calories each day so that makes it 1100.  I dunno.  I am feeling better though. When you're obese, there is a high water mark when things start slowing down, you become lethargic, everything starts to become a challenge, and you basically want to kill yourself and you don't even know it.  But it's true or at least has been for me.  I have 10 more pounds to drop before fat no longer feels fat. Sure I'll look fat but on the inside I'll have my swagger back.  I kindaz doez already.

The march continues...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 1

I have dropped another pound this morning.  Hit the gym last night and rode the stationary bike for an hour -- just like the night before and the night before that.  I'm going again tonight.  Still eating in 4-8 hour windows.  My stomach is open for business in about 45 minutes. I ate 1100 calories yesterday before the 500 calories the dumb machine said I burned. Something is working.  Yay!

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Good job. Keep it up.

What are your favorite exercises? I love burpees and variations of plank. 

There is also a pull up machine that I just love 

My weight didn't change after Thanksgiving. I consider that a win.

Good job yourself.  I really don't have any favorite exercises.  I make the rounds on the weights twice a week but just to keep them from roasting off the bone.  Right now my focus is on my weight and probably will be for the next 6 months.  But I also don't want to lose at such rate that combined with little body chisel work wil produce wrinkles.  I'll worry more about that after I lose another ten pounds.  

I also think burpees suck.  And pull ups.  But when I'm thinner I won't -- maybe?  This means they are hard for me if you were having some difficulty reading between the lines.  I'm just doing activities that burn calories and jumping on the bike is working for me.

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

Good job yourself.  I really don't have any favorite exercises.  I make the rounds on the weights twice a week but just to keep them from roasting off the bone.  Right now my focus is on my weight and probably will be for the next 6 months.  But I also don't want to lose at such rate that combined with little body chisel work wil produce wrinkles.  I'll worry more about that after I lose another ten pounds.  

I also think burpees suck.  And pull ups.  But when I'm thinner I won't -- maybe?

I can finally do real push ups 

The plank exercise that is fun is battle ropes plank.

When I started I had to use very low weight and I couldn't do one push up. I had a rough couple of years with health.

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I can finally do real push ups 

The plank exercise that is fun is battle ropes plank.

When I started I had to use very low weight and I couldn't do one push up. I had a rough couple of years with health.

I revised my original answer above.  It sounded a bit harsh to me and I didn't mean it too.  Yeah, I'm trying to live in today and not look too far down the road but I'm pushing to make 2024 a great year for my health.  Instead of waiting for the new year, I thought I'd start in late October of this year.  If I can get through the holidays, I'll have moved through the hardest part.  One down and one to go!

4 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I revised my original answer above.  It sounded a bit harsh to me and I didn't mean it too.  Yeah, I'm trying to live in today and not look too far down the road but I'm pushing to make 2024 a great year for my health.  Instead of waiting for the new year, I thought I'd start in late October of this year.  If I can get through the holidays, I'll have moved through the hardest part.  One down and one to go!

I never feel you are mean or harsh.

Burpees do suck. I am a sicko. When I can't get up off the floor, I feel like I got a good workout. Haha

I play pickleball once a week and it makes my glutes hurt. Probably from running around and picking up stray balls. 

32 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I think one needs to be careful, especially from squat going up and pushing up the weights in that position. 

I could see doing something like that in my late teens or early twenties.  But I'm in my mid-50s, I'm not a professional athlete, and the only one I'm competing against is myself. Also I don't need to lure a mate via neanderthal means.  "You female, look at ripping muscle. Give me yo body so I can pass on genetics."   So bulk is out.  At this stage of my life my priority is weight, good circulation, and enough strength not to tip over when getting out of bed, or when getting in or out of a car.  I am not looking to be muscle head.  Still, a thin tone body never hurt.

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I am neither impressed or care about any exercises. Not now. When I lose 30 more pounds I will consider sit ups. :nyanya:

I can see @Dirtyhip getting into thise Turkish get ups...

And you are correct on the I just want to be basically healthy and not a bodybuilder..I mentioned a couple of things I had seen in the gym to my trainer and would ask my trainer :scratchhead: WTF..and yeah he would say..no you don't need to go in that direction. 

Just enjoy what you do so you continue to do it.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I am neither impressed or care about any exercises. Not now. When I lose 30 more pounds I will consider sit ups. :nyanya:

There are other types of exercises ...that get one to full sit up and they help build core, more slowly.  But you probably don't want to hear from the yoga world. :flirtyeyess:

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

I would absolutely do yoga

There are certain exercises  to do to build up strength and balance.  (For me, balance is quite important long-term since I need to walk to do stuff/errands.  Cycling regularily helps anyone sooo much for balance, that for us regulars, we just take for granted inate balance on 2 wheels. )

Below, sit on mat or carpet (bare floor might be too hard on bum), relax shoulders and keep spine straight, sit upright and lean lightly back).  Just slowly raise legs stretched out an inch or off ground.  Doesn't need to be high as hers since her leg height shows core strength.  Hold 5 sec. or however long you want.  Then repeat 5 times or more.

The more one leans back (just a few inches), with legs further up, you are gaining core strength slowly after a few wk.s or more.

That's all.  Later, it will be easier to a sit-up (or pull-up from lying on back, etc.)

(Afterwards, would tend to relax back with another exercise to loosen up entire body...that's another maneouvre.  Won't waste time here now.) The main reason why I took yoga was learning to do certain  (not all) maneouvres to keep my body flexible and a bit stronger in certain areas.  To reduce pain when I become stiff in certain areas. 

image.png.63428bf3ec3381cb828ebd66e68d6cb5.png

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

Well it’s hard to believe but I just weighed myself and I’m down another pound+. That’s 5+ pounds this week and 21 lbs since October 5th. Should I ease of the gas and coast for awhile and let my mind/body adjust to it all — or do I just keep marching?

Keep marching..but throw in a " treat" dinner or lunch..cos you know you are gonna be frustrated when you hit a wall and..well we hit those walls.

41 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Keep marching..but throw in a " treat" dinner or lunch..cos you know you are gonna be frustrated when you hit a wall and..well we hit those walls.

I hate to reward my accomplishments with food but I was thinking about a high end steak 🥩 and I don’t eat red meat. But then I remembered it was probably over a year ago since I have? I’m due. Anyway I need a day off from exercising to let my body heal but I won’t be giving it up anytime soon. Last night was awesome but it was a killer. I was dehydrated pretty bad. Perhaps I skip the steak and just eat 2000 calories today? I mean I still come under by 200 if it’s a splurge day. Blasphemy!! I haven’t done anything yet. I need to keep marching. There is a long way to go.

This thread has become my running document. Carry on if you aren’t interested. 

Stationary bike while watching the first quarter of the Toledo/FSU game: 

Oh crap don’t have a picture!  But 30 minutes and like 179 calories. Tonight on  the treadmill:

IMG_1222.jpeg

I guess over 500 calories burned again today. When you are eating between 1200 - 1500 calories a day and burning 500 a day, it would seem weight loss is more detectable. And eating only in an 8 hour window…