Anytime Fitness

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

35 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have ignored this thread for just over 3 pages now.  Can I get a summary update.

I've been exercising and dieting and losing weight -- a lot of it actually.  @Razors Edge hijacked this thread talking a lot of crap about heart rates and fat burning zones and I keep finding out he is wrong. Kinda. Ok just a little but he forced me to look shit up and I'm not happy about it.

According to some claims, low-intensity workouts put you in a fat-burning zone and burn more fat than high-intensity workouts. However, experts refute this claim, as scientists have found that the fat-burning zone occurs at 55%-75% of maximum heart rate. 

To achieve maximum fat loss, aim for moderate to higher-intensity workouts and control your calorie consumption.

You're up to date.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

So exercise, sweat, exercise some more and sweat, then repeat.

Maybe how much lost so far...just to prevent others from scrolling. Even I lost track...

By the way, wanted to say that already earlier, you do have food habits you weren't aware of...not eating deep fried food  (at least hardly at all), etc.

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

do have food habits you weren't aware of...not eating deep fried food  (at least hardly at all), etc.

Well, I have rules that I seldom break but I do.  Mostly I never consume soft drinks.  Hardly ever but you may find me with a Coke in a Mexican Restaurant.   I generally do not eat fried foods but fried seafood sometimes makes the plate. Ice cream was open but I realized I've shut that down too. That just kind of happened naturally after summer.  Nonfat milk once in awhile. 

I find that the trick is not to say don't eat this or that -- but look at how much it's costing you. 

I bumped up my calories yesterday to a whopping 1600 and took the day off from the gym.  I managed to go up a pound+.  The human body's a trip, man.

Other note, I reached out to my doctor to let him know what was going on.  The last week I've noticed my heart fluttering in the early morning and while no to terribly worried as such things are not uncommon in my life, I've never noticed them for as long as duration as I'm getting in the early mornings.  Seems like it's probably related to all these changes going on with my body.  I've been not eating hardly any carbs so maybe it's time to add some of that back.  It too is kind of trippy.  I've read all kinds of things about it but I'm not just letting Dr. Google in on the problem.  I'm still awaiting his response.  

On 12/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, Dottleshead said:
On 12/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, Kzoo said:

I have ignored this thread for just over 3 pages now.  Can I get a summary update.

I've been exercising and dieting and losing weight -- a lot of it actually.  @Razors Edge hijacked this thread talking a lot of crap about heart rates and fat burning zones and I keep finding out he is wrong. Kinda. Ok just a little but he forced me to look shit up and I'm not happy about it.

According to some claims, low-intensity workouts put you in a fat-burning zone and burn more fat than high-intensity workouts. However, experts refute this claim, as scientists have found that the fat-burning zone occurs at 55%-75% of maximum heart rate. 

To achieve maximum fat loss, aim for moderate to higher-intensity workouts and control your calorie consumption.

You're up to date.

I just read most of the tread...   Now I feel like a slacker.  

Keep up the good work. 

I now have 2 goals...   1) To work to get some of my strength back.  I've noticed I've lost a lot of strength.   2) To loose 30 pounds.

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

Is the loss of 3 pounds in 2 weeks good?  I've been hovering on this weight for what seems like a long time.  I guess it's not but when I think about all the work and restrictions I'm doing and all the Dairy Queen sundaes I could be enjoying... :happyanim:

Just seems I should have a little more to show for it.  This plateau is stingy.

• Heart 1

Well, I'm holding water and went to the gym for my first training session.  I go again on Wednesday.  I paid $150 for that.  Naturally she has me do the exercises I'm weakest at.  Sucked.  Just what I thought.  A bunch of money for a cheerleader telling me shit I gotta do that I don't want to do.  I am in fact even more stupider than I thought and I set the bar pretty low.

• Hugs 2

:cheerleader:I hurt like heck and walked like John Wayne 3 days after my first trainer session. I paid for maybe 6 or 8 and pushed for every other week to make the most of my $$$..I also said to myself..I better do this stuff or the next workout is gonna kill me..

It isn't  for everyone..but I think we can all benefit from a few good trainer sessions :nodhead: I may look for another trainer..I miss being pushed :whistle:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Well, I'm holding water and went to the gym for my first training session.  I go again on Wednesday.  I paid $150 for that.  Naturally she has me do the exercises I'm weakest at.  Sucked.  Just what I thought.  A bunch of money for a cheerleader telling me shit I gotta do that I don't want to do.  I am in fact even more stupider than I thought and I set the bar pretty low.

Remind yourself....you have lost some weight.  You already avoid certain foods without overthinking it.. 

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Remind yourself....you have lost some weight.  You already avoid certain foods without overthinking it.. 

The stuff I did tonight was for my core -- and I'm really weak there.  I hate it too.  Absolutely hate it -- which is why I probably should do it.  She picked three things and she couldn't have punished me better if she tried.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

The stuff I did tonight was for my core -- and I'm really weak there.  I hate it too.  Absolutely hate it -- which is why I probably should do it.  She picked three things and she couldn't have punished me better if she tried.

My efforts at weight training have brought me a lot of elbow and shoulder pain. For the meantime I have to shift my upper body routine more to core and cardio , while I figure this out. Planning to go tonight.

• Heart 1

Well a couple of things.  It's not even 24 hours into this deal and I am sore.  When I think about the simple exercises we did, I am embarrassed for my inability to complete some of them.  It's really hard for me to accept that I have sunken that low but I also know I need to get the hell out of my own way and accept it.  It's why I hired her.   Less thinking Todd, more doing.  Apparently more money too.  I'm scheduled to see her tomorrow and I cringe at the thought of more failures and more reality but I also know I need to get over myself and do my best because less pouting will get me to where I want to be.

The good news is I dropped another pound this week.  It took me the whole week this time to drop it and I'm beginning to wonder if my 2 lbs a week are behind me.  I'm alright with that I guess as it would be put me at my target weight in a year. I'm at the lowest weight I've been at in years. I won't lie though.  Last couple nights I've been hungry and last night in particular, all I could think about was going to the pancake house.  

I may just go out and do it.  I'll keep the damage at a minimum but it tells me my body craves carbs. It's an imperfect dieting world and I don't need to be perfect.

• Like 1

Watch out for hollow rocks..they are core and I hated them..and my trainer just kept giving me more and more

I had sweat dripping off my earrings once..:D..he said he had never seen earrings sweat before :cheerleader:

You will be sore but what a feeling of accomplishment :nodhead:

My trainer always knew he had worked me hard when I flipped him off :whistle:

You got this Dottie

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Watch out for hollow rocks..they are core and I hated them..and my trainer just kept giving me more and more

I had sweat dripping off my earrings once..:D..he said he had never seen earrings sweat before :cheerleader:

You got this Dottie

I don't care that much M.  I mean I do and I know i'll get through it fine but I don't see myself spending the money on a trainer when I can beat myself up.  Again,  while i don't want to be so one dimensional, the weight far exceeds the exercise at this point.  When I lose another 30, I'll focus more on the shape of the rest of my body.

4 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

Well a couple of things.  It's not even 24 hours into this deal and I am sore.  When I think about the simple exercises we did, I am embarrassed for my inability to complete some of them.  It's really hard for me to accept that I have sunken that low but I also know I need to get the hell out of my own way and accept it.  It's why I hired her.   Less thinking Todd, more doing.  Apparently more money too.  I'm scheduled to see her tomorrow and I cringe at the thought of more failures and more reality but I also know I need to get over myself and do my best because less pouting will get me to where I want to be.

The good news is I dropped another pound this week.  It took me the whole week this time to drop it and I'm beginning to wonder if my 2 lbs a week are behind me.  I'm alright with that I guess as it would be put me at my target weight in a year. I'm at the lowest weight I've been at in years. I won't lie though.  Last couple nights I've been hungry and last night in particular, all I could think about was going to the pancake house.  

I may just go out and do it.  I'll keep the damage at a minimum but it tells me my body craves carbs. It's an imperfect dieting world and I don't need to be perfect.

Find a good filling and healthy soup. Make it a favourite.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Find a good filling and healthy soup. Make it a favourite.

What?  And consume all that sodium??  No way.  My lovely wife made me scramble of 3 eggs and serrano peppers.  It was awesome and had very little salt.  Lived it up and had not one -- but two -- English muffins.  But then discovered the those 2 English muffins had over half of the recommended daily sodium intake.  But the eggs had very little calories nor salt. 

5 hours ago, petitepedal said:

You got this Dottie

Personal training is how I thought it'd be.  So before I tear it down let me say you're an animal.  If it works for you, then do it!  That's the bottom line.  If it works for you and it is important to you, do it!  I don't really need encouragement though.  She simply exposed what I knew is an area I need to work on.  I moved my session out until after Christmas.  In the meantime, I'll be sure to do some core and squat exercises so I at least feel I'm getting my money's worth when we run through similar exercises next week.

However, if she wants me on a bike or treadmill or bench press or anything involving back muscles, I'll show her who is boss.  :flirtyeyess:

44 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

What?  And consume all that sodium??  No way.  My lovely wife made me scramble of 3 eggs and serrano peppers.  It was awesome and had very little salt.  Lived it up and had not one -- but two -- English muffins.  But then discovered the those 2 English muffins had over half of the recommended daily sodium intake.  But the eggs had very little calories nor salt. 

Good homemade soup broth doesn't need much sodium at all.  It's the ingredients used to make the broth. Certain bones with some meat, veggies, herbs..  Then there can be the straining of the broth if one wants to get sophisticated.  Which my mother did sometimes.  

I make a butternut squash soup from scratch by using cubed butternut squash.  I usually put in a cut-up ripe apple or pear in it. There is minced ginger root. Sometimes I might add some onion at beginning with ginger root. Not much. There is a weak soup broth added, less than 1 c. and then more water added to soften whole thing, before pureeing later after simmering, with immersion blender. 

Done.  Usually enough soup for 2-3 meals. Very simple recipe. No advance roasting of squash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dottleshead said:

So if I go to bed, I can wake up and eat.  What the heck am I waiting for??  Good night.

...to the list above:

13. Improved sleep cycle and developed a regular pattern including a bed time and a wake up time.

:D

Lucky 13!

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...to the list above:

13. Improved sleep cycle and developed a regular pattern including a bed time and a wake up time.

:D

Lucky 13!

Actually that’s very cognizant of you. I reread that yesterday and was going to modify it but meh. Yet that is the other part. It absolutely is true and I have seen it in action. I do not think it coincidence that I lost weight on nights I got good sleep. My Garmin watch tells me that.

• Hugs 2

That's great you start eating at around 11:00 am.  

I tend have breakfast around 6:30-7:30 amish.  My tummy for supper tends finish around 6:30 pm or sooner. Later I may have yogurt and tea in the evening if I need something. Or just drink tea.   I don't over analyze that.  I have started eating for supper at 4:00 pm...this is what happens retired.  The good thing, when retired, one is not under pressure to eat fast and now, can eat more mindfully.

12. I no longer think about what this new way of living is costing me.  It's not about what I can't have or have as much of.  It's now about my health and well being.  It's no longer "what is being taken away from me that I can't have it" as it is "what is being taken away from me if I have it". Change the narrative.

I totally agree about "cost".  And it's about not getting excited that the McMuffin is tasty and "cheap", just order it because cheap vs. is it the only /best choice for the day.  If one is in the middle of nowhere before 200 km. to next town, McMuffin works.

I don't super analyze my food bill of how I choose my grocery items at store.  I am not super fanatic doing agonizing price tag comparisons and not using calculator before I get to the cashier.  My health is priority in guiding what foods I buy.  

There are foods I never buy for home...chips, pop, TV dinners, etc.  I do buy tortellini, ravioli but not in a can. That's just not anything I hand make. And I have maybe once a month or less with my homemade yogurt mustard sauce. The only frozen veggie I buy are frozen peas and my own frozen squash. Not even beans, not corn or carrot for freezer.  In winter I do eat alot of different Asian greens (there is a huge variety of them to try), tomatoes, etc. 

I don't buy organic much (because of cost) and do tend to first buy something on sale if it is and if it's something I would enthusiastically eat.  I tend to cook veggies. Salad is occasional.  If not, then I buy fresh veggie/fruit that seems reasonable/know that I will be motivated to cook (if needed to cook) a few different dishes.  Key for me, is a veggie is a choice and amount that allows me to prep it in 2-3 different ways. 

Well food quality and quantity are the most important part and you know your body better than anyone. If you don’t exercise then I say intake control is the way to go. But if you burn it on the back end, you can expedite it — or so it seems. You seem like you have it down Star. Eating well and getting exercise! Keep leading by example.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sounds intermittent fasting on that time frame works for you. Has your wife by coincidence something different for herself in any changes?  She might not need any.

She likes that intermittent fasting as well.  She would gladly tell you that late night eating was her downfall.  I know it was for me so we share a lot of that.  With this new change, that's no longer a problem.  So it's super great my partner not only supports what I do but is following my changes.  She eats salad all the time.  I eat the cauliflower rice dish -- though I love her salads as well. But considering she makes my meals mostly, it's a big, big help.  I'm lucky.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I totally agree about "cost".  And it's about not getting excited that the McMuffin is tasty and "cheap", just order it because cheap vs. is it the only /best choice for the day.  If one is in the middle of nowhere before 200 km. to next town, McMuffin works.

I just reread this and wanted to clarify.  I didn't mean "cost" in monetary terms but rather in calories.  I never eat fast food.  Not because it's not tasty and not because it's cheap -- because it's bad for me and I don't want to start eating at fast food places. The McMuffin is probably one of the better options on their menu.  But the sodium alone is almost a third of what you should be getting a day.

But since I never eat at fast food places, I'm not the guy to be asking these questions.  I had to google the McMuffin thing.

And yes, if I were bike riding and hungry -- especially out in the middle of nowhere -- I would be stopping at MickeyDs and eating.  I'm not an orthodox in my eating.  Sometimes you gotta bend.

• Heart 1

On 12/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, Dottleshead said:

5.  I try to eat in an 8 hour designated window.  My stomach opens at 11:30 a.m. and closes for business at 7:30 p.m (this is known as intermittent fasting)

On 12/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, Dottleshead said:

8.  I have a protein drink almost every morning (i like to take my meds with them).

Dottles - great job.  But I'm here to tell you that these 2 things don't jive.  IF is about putting your body into a state of ketosis.  You can't have a protein shake and be in a state of ketosis at the same time.

Maybe (just something to consider) wake up and have a large glass of water to wake your system up and save your protein shake for 11:30.

But...... You keep doing you.  Keep up the great work.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Dottles - great job.  But I'm here to tell you that these 2 things don't jive.  IF is about putting your body into a state of ketosis.  You can't have a protein shake and be in a state of ketosis at the same time.

Maybe (just something to consider) wake up and have a large glass of water to wake your system up and save your protein shake for 11:30.

But...... You keep doing you.  Keep up the great work.

Well, mostly I do have that protein shake at 11:30.  It's kind my way of saying the "stomach is open for biz" and usually ends up being a dud of an opening.  Those shakes seem to stave off the immediate hunger for awhile. They're not necessarily financially cheap but well worth it in my battle with the bulge.

• Heart 1

Ketosis is a metabolic state in which your blood has a high concentration of ketones, namely beta-Hydroxybutyrate ( 1 ). It occurs when your body starts using fat as its main fuel source due to limited access to glucose, or blood sugar, typically caused by starvation, fasting, or following a very low carb diet ( 1 ).

I felt it important to save people the time of having to look up the big words @Kzoo is tossing out there.  i'll be damned if he didn't nail it though.

1 minute ago, Dottleshead said:

I felt it important to save people the time of having to look up the big words @Kzoo is tossing out there.  i'll be damned if he didn't nail it though.

It's also why, during a hard workout, you get that second burst of energy or second wind.  It's why pro athletes will go out before the game and work up a really hard sweat.  When you burn off the glucose in the blood and start working off the rest of the body (glucose from the liver and muscles) you have more energy and better performance.

• Like 1