Anytime Fitness

Dottleshead
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

Well, it has been about 12 days and if I can hold, I'm now only a half pound away from my low water mark 11 days ago. Again plateaus suck but they happen and this one has been the longest. If I'm lucky, I'll drop a pound this weekend. Maybe two. It's true I've been laser focused on this but in a sense I've had to be. It seems if I give myself any slack, I easily fall back to old behaviors and patterns. I already want to scale back the exercise and I'm not snacking later in the evenings. Also, I hope this is a reminder for all of you trying to lose weight that its not easy.  It's definitely not linear and one does not get the immediate feedback for the effort put in.  In fact the feedback mechanism sucks and often requires a lot of patience .Until I drop another pound or two, this plateau from hell continues.  But I'll keep working at it. I have another 40 pounds I hope to lose before years end.

• Hugs 2

So this is where the thing with sleep gets weird.  I woke up and weighed myself like 7 times and as mentioned i was about half a pound over my low water mark.  So I do some work, drink an Orgain Protein shake and take my meds, and go back to sleep.  I slept for another 2 hours.  I wake up and then weighed myself again.  Three times.  Finally, after 11 days I am once again at the exact low water mark I was 11 days ago.  I let my body rest for another two hours and do it's thing and I lose half a pound even after consuming calories.  I have also taken two days off from the gym too.  Go figure.

• Awesome 1

When I first started this program I lost 8 lbs in a week and then stabilized.  I was more focused on maintaining ketosis and keeping my glucose down and less concerned about weight.  Doing nothing different, I dropped .5 a lb the past two days… Go figure….  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

When I first started this program I lost 8 lbs in a week and then stabilized.  I was more focused on maintaining ketosis and keeping my glucose down and less concerned about weight.  Doing nothing different, I dropped .5 a lb the past two days… Go figure….  

It's a nice reminder that our bodies are not state machines.

• Heart 1

Well it seems ridiculous that I'm making a big deal over a single pound but after 13 days, only consuming an average of 1100 calories a day, plus working out of 13 of those days for at least an hour and 20 minutes a session, I have finally done it.  I have lost one pound to get to the lowest weight I have been at in 15 years.  That was the plateau from hell. I hope this is the start of a nice slide.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

What did you start at?

How tall are you? 

I’m still officially obese. I’m 6 ft and 1/2 inch. I’ll share my weight later when I am closer to my goal . But I am built differently and those silly ideal book weights won’t apply. I have a target weight I am shooting for and my BMI will still show me as overweight but not obese. But I will have GREATLY improved my health and I can work on the next 20-30 lbs the rest of my life if I want to or live with the odds.

According to the stats, the average striped watermelon weighs about 20 lbs. I have lost 3 watermelons. My heart is liking not having to pump oxygen through that miles of fat. I have about 1 watermelon to go.

i do have cardiovascular disease though the worst has been stented and the other two main arteries into my heart show some damage but not too restricted. 

I can tell you as a top flight athlete at age 18 I weighed about 195 and was in incredible shape, and even then those body charts said I was overweight and I was an athletic specimen. So I don’t value them too greatly. Turns out one size does not fit all.

I have given you enough info to figure out my current weight BTW

• Heart 1

At 5ft 2in...I would be considered obese for a MAN of my height :whistle: I would love to lose 25..as my pain levels off and I get a little more freedom with my arm..I will drop some of the things that are sometimes helping me survive the day! (Sugar an caffeine)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

At 5ft 2in...I would be considered obese for a MAN of my height :whistle: I would love to lose 25..as my pain levels off and I get a little more freedom with my arm..I will drop some of the things that are sometimes helping me survive the day! (Sugar an caffeine)

Petite you can do it!  If you set it as your top priority for today and then repeat, you'll find it's not as ominous as it seems. One day at a time.

• Heart 1

Ok @Square Wheels it's time for me to get honest and share with the group my weight.  I'm down another 3 pounds as of today since posting I hit the 60 lb mark last Saturday.  I am doing so because I'm 30 lbs now from my target weight (this can drop lower but I picked a weight I know I could live with if I never did).  My current weight is 246.  When I started this journey I was 309 in early October of 2023.  There's a long story about how I got to that grotesque number that I'm not going to get into here -- but it's sufficient to say the last 30 lbs of gain were excruciating.  I was ashamed and disgusted with myself and reached a point were I began to feel powerless.  I needed help and sought out counseling to address my concerns.  I had to get myself out of my own way.

The bottom line is some time this upcoming weekend, I need to go shopping for new clothes.  It's exhilarating and I cannot tell you all how much better I feel.  It'll be some of the best money I've spent.  I've gotten great support from my wife, my friends, and on this forum and I thank you all for getting me on the right path.

My weight goal is 215.  Obviously I will accept anything lower than that but I want to have a significant milestone. 215 seems good to me.  When I was in the best shape of my life, a college athlete, and playing on 3 different select soccer teams, I weighed 195 and was not overweight by any means.  Those dumb one-size-fits-all BMI tables might tell you and I differently though.  I don't care.  I think 215 is a very attainable goal and my health will have moved from crapola to respectable.  I work out all the time now and have a very healthy diet.  Not as clean as @Square Wheels but I don't think anyone is or wants to be, quite frankly.  :happyanim:

The march continues...

• Thank You 1
  • Hugs 2

Just now, Dottleshead said:

You're a good man RE.  I don't care what people say!  :nyanya:

Regardless - this thread is epic, and a journey like this one doesn't happen here often.  I didn't know your starting point, nor did I think it would hit 20 or 30 lbs lost, so you've really stuck to a plan (ups and downs) and shown me that you can kick some ass.

• Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Regardless - this thread is epic, and a journey like this one doesn't happen here often.  I didn't know your starting point, nor did I think it would hit 20 or 30 lbs lost, so you've really stuck to a plan (ups and downs) and shown me that you can kick some ass.

I lost myself but feel I've found myself again.  I still have plenty of work to do -- this journey continues.  I will not be satisfied until I get into the teens.   But I do think I"ve got solid momentum and I'm going to see it through even if it takes 9 months to lose the last 30.  I'm not changing a thing though so I will continue with the plan. Some weeks are easy (like this one) and some are hard (like the previous two).  "Just stay the course."

6 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Since Saturday, the scale says I'm down another 4 pounds.  That's 4 pounds in 5 days.  Very exciting but I'm afraid wrinkles are or will be an issue at this rate.  I wonder if a few trips around the track with @BR46 as a monkey would whip me into shape?

Yes it would.

When do you want to do this?

• Like 1

I've been to the gym the last 6 nights in a row and plan on going the next 4 nights.  I eat about 1500 calories a day and a visit to the gym burns 500-600 calories putting me under a 1000 for the day.  Sometimes I get favorable results like above but I'm doomed to hit a plateau that will last a couple weeks with zero change or worse -- and it happens a lot -- weight gain.  How the hell a body can go up 2 or 3 pounds when restricting my calorie intake to a 3 digit daily number is beyond me.  But that's my body for ya.  It will eventually give it away but it can be frustrating.

I suspect I dropped because of my work earlier but I'm coming in this morning at my lowest number yet.  It had a Caeser's salad with an 8 oz salmon and then about 12oz of yogurt with strawberries for dessert.  Hit the gym afterwards and just weighed myself at half of a pound lighter than I've ever been.  Not that it's a big milestone, but I am now officially down 65 pounds.  

• Heart 1

It's depressing.  I take 3 nights off from not working out and I gain 3 pounds.  WTF?  My body is probably still reeling from the sudden weight loss the previous surge and is rebounding to equilibrium but it stresses the hell out of me when I realize the effort required just to hold serve.  I really need/want to lose another 30 pounds and while I've turned the corner, I realize just how difficult this final stretch is going to be. FML.

• Hugs 1

50 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

It's depressing.  I take 3 nights off from not working out and I gain 3 pounds.  WTF?  My body is probably still reeling from the sudden weight loss the previous surge and is rebounding to equilibrium but it stresses the hell out of me when I realize the effort required just to hold serve.  I really need/want to lose another 30 pounds and while I've turned the corner, I realize just how difficult this final stretch is going to be. FML.

You need to embrace #NoBadFoods, #FoodFreedom, #DitchTheDiet, & #DerailTheShame!!!  BigDiet has gotten too firm a hold of you!!!!!!

4OEFKF3KYVFFRMMXMGTYSXCUAE.gif&w=1440&im

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You need to embrace #NoBadFoods, #FoodFreedom, #DitchTheDiet, & #DerailTheShame!!!  BigDiet has gotten too firm a hold of you!!!!!!

4OEFKF3KYVFFRMMXMGTYSXCUAE.gif&w=1440&im

There is no diet per se but when you have cardiovascular it’s better not to eat saturated fats and sugars. Besides I worry about my heart pounding through miles of fat. I can do better.

I'm still holding ground. I've not made that push for weight loss these last couple of weeks but then not working to hard at keeping it off either.  I'm still 64 pounds below my high water mark in October.  I guess I'm just leveling off before I make another run.  Fighting off the complacency.  If I'm to be honest, I'm tired of losing weight.  It's a lot of work and -- for me -- requires a lot of focus and commitment.  Getting kind of burned out you could say but no plan of quitting.  Just pausing I guess.

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Pausing is ok...and sometimes you just need a change up...maybe...LSD...long slow distance...pack u a fun..but fairly healthy lunch and go hike one of the islands...or hike and have a nice dinner afterward.

Yep. No rush but I've also had some good momentum and I am getting closer to the finish line.  Akin to rounding that corner and seeing the tape off in the distance. Been running like hell and just want to be there but I have more distance to cover.  At least i'm not gimpy or cramping. Just easing off the throttle for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new to report.  Just holding steady.  It's been about 3 weeks now so let's see if I can't lose some more before my trip this upcoming Saturday to the Redwoods.  I have a lot of physical activities planned so I doubt I will be gaining weight.  We do have a meal plan in place.  Essentially, we gotta work it off before we eat it.  :)

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

35 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So the important Anytime Fitness question is, are you allowed to use the women's.........  Never mind.

My wife recently kicked my ass and everyone else's in the gym standings on heart rate.  I don't know what the hell this has to do with your statement but I'm guessing the response is or should be "No."

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Stay the course…. Oh and that’s awesome! 

I appreciate the support Chris.  I have at least 25 pounds more to go that I'd like to drop.  It is encouraging after about 2-3 weeks to get results.  I don't think they're going to be happening quite as quick now -- but I have time.  STAY THE COURSE.  I think that's my new signature.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

I appreciate the support Chris.  I have at least 25 pounds more to go that I'd like to drop.  It is encouraging after about 2-3 weeks to get results.  I don't think they're going to be happening quite as quick now -- but I have time.  STAY THE COURSE.  I think that's my new signature.

Maintenir le cap

10 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

The hard part, as you know, is the plateaus that often come with weight loss.  It’s hard not to get discouraged but staying the course is the best option. 

I heard a comment that really resonated with me and it was focus on getting healthy, not losing weight.  If you focus on getting healthy, the  weight will come off.   

I’m focusing on my food plan and getting my blood glucose in check.  But by doing so my weight also came down. 

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The hard part, as you know, is the plateaus that often come with weight loss.  It’s hard not to get discouraged but staying the course is the best option. 

I heard a comment that really resonated with me and it was focus on getting healthy, not losing weight.  If you focus on getting healthy, the  weight will come off.   

I’m focusing on my food plan and getting my blood glucose in check.  But by doing so my weight also came down. 

Agreed.  I have been focusing on my entire health.  This weekend I walked an average of 8 miles a day.  I can do that now nonstop -- something 6 months ago was impossible.  The food intake and weight reduction output is a focus of mine but it's not the only thing.  I know when I walk 16 miles in two days and keep the diet at or near the same, I should expect good results even if it doesn't show up on the scale a few days later. Whether I lose it or not, it's exhilarating that I can do this.

I've discovered we have some magnificent parks in Bellingham and there are a lot of great exercise bike and walking trails.

• Awesome 2

27 minutes ago, Dottleshead said:

Also, I forgot to mention that the cardiologist has removed 2 of my medications and cut the other in half!!  That's a win.

That’s so freaking awesome!  Great news on the walking too.

WOChrisL and I haven’t resumed riding post Covid but we started our walks.  We did 3 miles yesterday and it felt good! 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:59 PM, Dottleshead said:

Those dumb one-size-fits-all BMI tables might tell you and I differently though. 

You might be going at this the wrong way. You are not overweight you are under tall. If you would grow another foot you would be at a healthy weight with a BMI under 25. I wonder if those mid evil stretching machines work?

• Haha 1