You ever do this?

ChrisL

37 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Backstory: So we are in the midst of a rekey in our facility and I’m having the facility put on a key/sub master/grand master program.  After we got the quote, we changed the scope and needed to add a bunch of doors.  So I tell our facilities manager to find out how many doors we have to change hardware on instead of just a re core.

So I have an extremely busy day today, just wrap up an investigation where I had to listen to about 45 minutes of diatribe listening for perceived threats… Facilities manager comes in and provides a breakdown of doors that need to have their hardware replaced.  

Dumbass me: WTF!?!? Why are we changing all that hardware, I thought we were replacing cores??? Facilities Manager: Uh…Because you told me to…. Dumbass me remembers now that I sent him on this mission… Shit I’m sorry, I did didn’t I…

I freaking sent this kid on a task, then questioned why he did it!?!  🤣

So the scope of job was written down for the "kid"? Verbal is not good enough when it involves money calculations later.

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Backstory: So we are in the midst of a rekey in our facility and I’m having the facility put on a key/sub master/grand master program.  After we got the quote, we changed the scope and needed to add a bunch of doors.  So I tell our facilities manager to find out how many doors we have to change hardware on instead of just a re core.

So I have an extremely busy day today, just wrap up an investigation where I had to listen to about 45 minutes of diatribe listening for perceived threats… Facilities manager comes in and provides a breakdown of doors that need to have their hardware replaced.  

Dumbass me: WTF!?!? Why are we changing all that hardware, I thought we were replacing cores??? Facilities Manager: Uh…Because you told me to…. Dumbass me remembers now that I sent him on this mission… Shit I’m sorry, I did didn’t I…

Surely that’s a sign for you to retire. Thank me later. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So the scope of job was written down for the "kid"? Verbal is not good enough when it involves money calculations later.

We don’t write stuff down in the private sector?  Too hard to hide the shady stuff when there is a paper trail! 😉

No, his instructions were not written down  they were verbalized but the SOW & change order was written.  I just needed him to count hardware so we could factor the cost of the change order so I could adjust my spend request.  The revised quote is still forthcoming but if I wait for the quote, then adjust the spend it will delay a time sensitive project.  

See that’s how we roll in the private sector, we are quick & nimble! 😉😉😉

He performed his task perfectly, the issue is I forgot I sent him on this mission…

• Hugs 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We don’t write stuff down in the private sector?  Too hard to hide the shady stuff when there is a paper trail! 😉

No, his instructions were not written down  they were verbalized but the SOW & change order was written.  I just needed him to count hardware so we could factor the cost of the change order so I could adjust my spend request.  The revised quote is still forthcoming but if I wait for the quote, then adjust the spend it will delay a time sensitive project.  

See that’s how we roll in the private sector, we are quick & nimble! 😉😉😉

He performed his task perfectly, the issue is I forgot I sent him on this mission…

An email would do it for him and you.   That's all, Chris.

16 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

An email would do it for him and you.   That's all, Chris.

I appreciate the effort to provide coaching but I’m comfortable with how the interaction was executed.  

11 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Getting old ain't easy.

• Heart 1