Call the Midwife

Square Wheels

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My eyes glaze over every time I even attempt that one.  Snooze-a-rama! :D

I think I tried for just a few minutes and just couldn't.  If it had a different title that sounded more interesting, I probably would have given it a longer chance.  It does get good reviews, though.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I think I tried for just a few minutes and just couldn't.  If it had a different title that sounded more interesting, I probably would have given it a longer chance.  It does get good reviews, though.

Like a 50s version of St Elsewhere or ER????  For the record, "midwifery" is a fun word!

The plot follows newly qualified midwife Jenny Lee, as well as the work of midwives and the nuns of Nonnatus House, a nursing convent and part of an Anglican religious order, coping with the medical problems in the deprived Poplar district of London's desperately poor East End in the 1950s. The Sisters and midwives carry out many nursing duties across the community. However, with between 80 and 100 babies being born each month in Poplar alone, the primary work is to help bring safe childbirth to women in the area and to look after their countless newborns.

In the first series, which is set in early 1957, the main themes include the "Baby Boom", issues of poverty in the East end and post-war immigration.

The second series, set in 1958, shows the introduction of gas and air as a form of pain relief, unexploded ordnance, an outbreak of tuberculosis, a baby born with spina bifida and ends with the condemning of the Nonnatus House building.