Gonna find out what my ancestors ate.

53 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Did I inspire something?  :skipping:

Well I know well enough what mom's side of the family ate..... But I realized I had no idea what the cuisine of Alsace Lorraine is. I faked some homemade sour kraut with Reisling and Juniper berries....and it came out pretty good.

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

Are you my cousin?  My grandfather was born in Montbelaird, France.  I have never been there but my parents have been there several times.

They left there in 1843, so.... It's funny looking at the census records because some years they list "place of birth" as "France", some "Germany" - depending on where the border was when they were asked! It's part of France now, but very German. 

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

They left there in 1843, so.... It's funny looking at the census records because some years they list "place of birth" as "France", some "Germany" - depending on where the border was when they were asked! It's part of France now, but very German. 

I understand that.  My great grandmother was from Basel Switzerland.  They spoke German not French.  My grandfather was 5 when they left.  It was a lot later than your family left.  My Mom's family left Switzerland about the time your family left France.

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I understand that.  My great grandmother was from Basel Switzerland.  They spoke German not French.  My grandfather was 5 when they left.  It was a lot later than your family left.  My Mom's family left Switzerland about the time your family left France.

It threw me for a loop, at first, when I saw "France". My great-great granfather's name was Henry Gottleib Herrick. Not "Francois" or "Pierre"... All the early records in the Lutheran church they attended here are in German. (I figured out the entries under "Mitt Gott" were folks who had died.....)

Somewhere I read that northern Alsace Lorraine is more German and the southern part is more Swiss.

21 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Must have been a common name.  One of my great-great grandfathers names was Gottleib Beck from Basel, Switzerland.

Not as common as "Christian" in my family. My g-g-g grandfather had a brother named Christian, who had a son named Christian. My g-g-g grandfather named one of his kids "Christian". I think there were one or two more in subsequent generations along with a "Christiana".

Makes it fun to try and figure out who the hell is who.

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Not as common as "Christian" in my family. My g-g-g grandfather had a brother named Christian, who had a son named Christian. My g-g-g grandfather named one of his kids "Christian". I think there were one or two more in subsequent generations along with a "Christiana".

Makes it fun to try and figure out who the hell is who.

Gottleib's father was Christian, His grandfather was Christian, his brother was Christian.  There are several more in the Beck family.  They came over to Lancaster County PA.  Several of them were very famous gunsmiths.  Gottleib also had a son Christian.