.....welll.....shit....

Johnny Come Lately Name

Despite the single digit temps, I decided to take the dog and the snowshoes and go up to camp to get in a romp in the snow before work.

Drive one hour, fifteen minutes.

Get out of truck, let dog out, put snowshoes on the ground. Put first one on. Go go to put second one on and hear "SNAP!". It's only after a minute or two of fidgeting with the binding that I realize it broke. Snapped right off. I guess expecting showshoes to be serviceable in cold weather is an unreasonable expectation. Well, OK, it's still semi-functional. Let's go anyway. Get about 50 yards and realize the dog is stepping very gingerly and stopping with one paw or the other in the air. It's too cold for his feets.

Get back in the truck, drive one hour, fifteen minutes.

Two and a half hour drive for a one minute walk.

Edited by F_in Ray Of Sunshine
  • Heart 3

Sometimes you eat the bear...sometimes the bear eats you

Penny & Oden are a conundrum in the snow and on trails. They don't like the booties. We tried mushers wax and they spend the whole time trying to lick it off. And f they go bare they get ice balls in between their pads...which they try to lick out

We have not found a solution for them other than short walks. 1 minute is a little short even for them

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Sometimes you eat the bear...sometimes the bear eats you

Funny choice of words. Last time I went up there in the snow with him, he sort of disappeared. I went to see what he was getting into. I saw nothing. Everything was covered with snow, including a downed tree. There was a big hole under the tree and some fresh dirt thrown out onto the snow.

"Huh......I wonder who dug that?"

<looks in hole>

".....probably the bear that's still in it....."

"LET'S GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE YOU STUPID DOG!!!!!!" :runcirclsmiley:

• Heart 2