Almost done... , and gross.

Zephyr

I do not ride a lot in the winter, just back and forth to work, and use my 3-4 games of hockey a week to keep me in some semblance of shape.  This year has been bad.  I am on the road again until Wednesday.  That will make 47 days on the road since the new year started.  I did pretty well but restaurant food is still restaurant food, and I think I am in the worse shape in years.  Getting some serious miles in to get back on track is going to be hard, because I am discouraged already.  

Why oh why didn't I eat more salad!!  :(

• Heart 3

Well a job ....is a job. Yup restaurant food ...doesn't allow you to choose to compose it unless you spend an extra hr. trying to find a perfect restaurant that doesn't tempt.

Maybe the best thing is to slip in more salad into your restaurant meals..be casual..and just absent mindedly slip away from other lesser stuff.  That's the best technique for me.  I knew I couldn't eat lots of white rice anymore.  So lst I stopped buying any raw rice for home.

Then I found light noodles as a sub. 

With meat, I didn't suddenly not have any meat.  I just sorta forgot to have it frequently over time...except for a few times per month. If I rigidly and consciously avoided all the bad stuff at every single meal, that wouldn't work for me. I need ways to absentmindedly change to new habit slowly in baby steps. 

I know all about trying to stay in shape, and mostly failing living and working on the road. Even carrying a bike in the truck, with only rare opportunities to actually pull it out and go for a ride is mostly a feel good action.

There was lots of things I liked about trucking, but the deleterious effects on the body outweighed the positives for me so I got the hell out.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I know all about trying to stay in shape, and mostly failing living and working on the road. Even carrying a bike in the truck, with only rare opportunities to actually pull it out and go for a ride is mostly a feel good action.

There was lots of things I liked about trucking, but the deleterious effects on the body outweighed the positives for me so I got the hell out.

Yup, and any places you can eat with room to park a rig with a trailer attached aren't really known for their small portion size.

I actually eat quite well on the road and am careful, my problem is I live an active life at home and eat for it, but do not do a good job of tapering my consumption when my activity level drops when I am on the road.  Now I will spend two days with my parents where my mom thinks I still eat like a teenage boy and she will shove food at me on a continuous basis

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

That sounds frustrating.  Over the years I have found exercising helps, but what I eat is most of how I lose or gain weight.  I love junk food.

I went to lunch with a friend last week.  She picked a vegan restaurant.  I had an amazing "burger".  What was worse, they had these chocolate chip cookies that were the best cookie I've ever had.  I gave her a piece, brought one back for a coworker to try, and gave one to my wife.  They all agreed it was an amazing cookie.  Not a amazing gluten-free, vegan cookie, but an amazing cookie.  So, what do I do?  I stay away.  It's really hard to do so.

Yesterday I went for a run.  Garmin claims it was 997 calories, even if I went with the standard 100 calories per mile, it would still be 800 calories.  All I could think of during the run was the extra calories I could therefore consume.  I think about eating a lot.

I am working hard at changing these thoughts and habits.  I struggle with it every day.  Today I got on the scale and saw one of my best numbers in many years.  I know tomorrow it may go up a little.  My initial thought will be why bother, have a few cookies.  I will fight that urge.

Stick with a better eating plan.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

my problem is I live an active life at home and eat for it, but do not do a good job of tapering my consumption when my activity level drops when I am on the road.

I think this is a real struggle..for most of us...especially those of us who are less active in the winter months. You can have the occasional ice cream or burger and fries when you are biking 100 miles or more a week...not so much when you are surfing on the couch :whistle:  Not that we would describe our lives as couch surfing.  Think about how active you are and how it is still a challenge to keep your weight in line...

Good Luck...I can hardly wait to get back to working out...I have to wait til the rash is gone :(

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

All I could think of during the run was the extra calories I could therefore consume.  I think about eating a lot.

I am working hard at changing these thoughts and habits.  I struggle with it every day.  Today I got on the scale and saw one of my best numbers in many years.  I know tomorrow it may go up a little.  My initial thought will be why bother, have a few cookies.  I will fight that urge.

Yea, thinking a lot about eating a lot would drive me crazy. So weighing yourself often helps you?

It doesn't help me. For me it's better to weight myself maybe 1-2 times per month. I use some favourite pants and tops to guide me.  If waistband is too tight, that means I'm eating too much.

18 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

my problem is I live an active life at home and eat for it

When I first started riding, I believed I deserved and needed to replace all those calories I burned off.  I would often take way too much food with me and eat far more then I burned once I got home.  I stopped doing that.  Now I'll ride a century with maybe 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich, plus whatever fruit I get at the stops and feel fine.

18 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

my mom thinks I still eat like a teenage boy and she will shove food at me on a continuous basis

Get a new mom.  :)  This is tough for all of us.  My family is mostly overweight.  Last weekend I saw my brother in law.  He's at least 100 pounds overweight.  He was eating was of those horrible looking grocery store cookies.  He said it tasted like sawdust.  I suggested he throw it away and it was like I suggested he throw his kid away.  I determine what I eat, not others.  Politely let mom know, you've had enough and maybe even suggest you're trying to drop a few pounds.

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

He was eating was of those horrible looking grocery store cookies.  He said it tasted like sawdust.  I suggested he throw it away

In one of the many weight loss articles I have read over the years..one tip or hint that sticks with me more or less said "don't waste your calories on crap"  So instead of (forgive me Cheese) a moon pie...(mass produced with lots of chemicals for freshness) have that treat at your local bakery..made fresh...  Even in your cheat treats...quality should be your guidline.

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

In one of the many weight loss articles I have read over the years..one tip or hint that sticks with me more or less said "don't waste your calories on crap"  So instead of (forgive me Cheese) a moon pie...(mass produced with lots of chemicals for freshness) have that treat at your local bakery..made fresh...  Even in your cheat treats...quality should be your guidline.

I totally agree, if you plan to treat yourself, make it quality. Not mass junk produce.

34 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Get a new mom.  :)  This is tough for all of us.  My family is mostly overweight.  Last weekend I saw my brother in law.  He's at least 100 pounds overweight.  He was eating was of those horrible looking grocery store cookies.  He said it tasted like sawdust.  I suggested he throw it away and it was like I suggested he throw his kid away.  I determine what I eat, not others.  Politely let mom know, you've had enough and maybe even suggest you're trying to drop a few pounds.

So your mom has well accepted and will try to adjust some dishes that benefit everyone?

We don't have to tell my mother.  She's been cooking healthy for us past 5 decades. If she pushes more food, then we take leftovers home. But that's rare now. She gets tired of doing a ton of cooking at her age. (84)  Sure glutinous rice bamboo wrapped packets aren't totally healthy...but none of her children know how to make them.  We take them home happily....because when she dies, her packets will disappear.  One can share 1 packet with another person, if too heavy..which her style is not.