Orbea - You Rotten Jerks!

Razors Edge

So let me get this straight, they are building a bike around all the electrical components.  Components that do wear out over time, but are built into the frame so they can't be accessed and replaced.

And now electric bicycles are throw away items, awesome.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

So let me get this straight, they are building a bike around all the electrical components.  Components that do wear out over time, but are built into the frame so they can't be accessed and replaced.

And now electric bicycles are throw away items, awesome.

I'm not sure where you got that information.  The battery slides up into the downtube.  Sort of like a Di2 battery that slides into a seat tube or seatpost.  Batteries will continue to become smaller, or lighter, or more efficient, or less expensive, or some/all of those, so there will be some level of "upgrade" options over time.  I'm not sure, though, if the BB has to come out for the battery to come out.  I'd wager batteries are only at their best for a couple of years or so, so that would be the real issue - cost of replacement batteries (even if better).  I think my relatively small Di2 costs $100+ to replace, but my bike battery on my big light costs more. I'd love to see a standard across all cycling batteries, so shared connections could be adopted, and all the various bits & pieces could work from the same source, and a new battery could easily be swapped in.

Sadly, though, as @Page Turner can tell you, MOST bikes are throwaway items.  He has a pretty large collection. Rescues from an eventual trip to a landfill, dank basement, or cluttered garage.

https://i1.wp.com/www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Orbea-Gain_aluminum-road-ebike_electric-assist-road-bike-stealth-battery-motor-integration_ebike-motion-system-diagram.jpg?ssl=1

Tom

...bicycle sales videos are like car ads. Nobody is ever standing still at a red light or stuck in traffic.

And what we once called "mechanical doping" is now translated into "enhance your ride.'  

E-bikes are the best thing to happen since brifters, when everybody had to buy a new bicycle or risk instant death on the old one from last year.:cheerleader:

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm not sure where you got that information.  The battery slides up into the downtube.  Sort of like a Di2 battery that slides into a seat tube or seatpost.  Batteries will continue to become smaller, or lighter, or more efficient, or less expensive, or some/all of those, so there will be some level of "upgrade" options over time.  I'm not sure, though, if the BB has to come out for the battery to come out.  I'd wager batteries are only at their best for a couple of years or so, so that would be the real issue - cost of replacement batteries (even if better).  I think my relatively small Di2 costs $100+ to replace, but my bike battery on my big light costs more. I'd love to see a standard across all cycling batteries, so shared connections could be adopted, and all the various bits & pieces could work from the same source, and a new battery could easily be swapped in.

Sadly, though, as @Page Turner can tell you, MOST bikes are throwaway items.  He has a pretty large collection. Rescues from an eventual trip to a landfill, dank basement, or cluttered garage.

Tom

That's my point, I don't see how you replace the batteries without busting the frame, so they really aren't replaceable and batteries do go bad.  Even if you don't run them much, batteries do have a shelf life.  And I've had more than enough luck with bad cells in various batteries of every kind to know I would not like this setup because I'd be the one to get one and have a cell go bad in a year or so.

7 hours ago, Indy said:

They are still around?  I remember the early 2000s ones were the bomb, had the perfect formula and ride, then they made them stiffer and ruined them.

WRONG!  They had flexy head tubes, at least the Orca did.  How do I know?  I had one, 2005 version (orange, of course), plus I sold and built a bunch when a buddy and I were selling out of his garage.  The Opal was a better bike, and probably a good bargain pickup these days, I had one of those, too.

orbea_orca01.jpg

13 hours ago, Indy said:

That's my point, I don't see how you replace the batteries without busting the frame, so they really aren't replaceable and batteries do go bad.  Even if you don't run them much, batteries do have a shelf life.  And I've had more than enough luck with bad cells in various batteries of every kind to know I would not like this setup because I'd be the one to get one and have a cell go bad in a year or so.

You simply open a port on the bottom of the frame, swap the battery, and close the port.  

I don't know where you are getting the "busting the frame", but this pic may help:

image.png.fd69e8629b96cf7cab47748babd1fdf5.png

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

You simply open a port on the bottom of the frame, swap the battery, and close the port.  

I don't know where you are getting the "busting the frame", but this pic may help:

image.png.fd69e8629b96cf7cab47748babd1fdf5.png

Tom

I haven't seen any information, just going by what I saw in the pictures.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I haven't seen any information, just going by what I saw in the pictures.

Makes sense now, doesn't it :D  My Tarmac, and most modern road bikes and many MTB bikes, have access to their various down tubes or top tubes, since carbon fiber can easily be designed with openings.  In my case, it lets the Di2 wiring and the brake cables be easily internally routed, and the various junction boxes tucked inside places like the BB area out of the way of wind, water, and other things.

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Makes sense now, doesn't it :D  My Tarmac, and most modern road bikes and many MTB bikes, have access to their various down tubes or top tubes, since carbon fiber can easily be designed with openings.  In my case, it lets the Di2 wiring and the brake cables be easily internally routed, and the various junction boxes tucked inside places like the BB area out of the way of wind, water, and other things.

Tom

I'm used to trying to fish internal wiring through tubes with a magnet only to on occasion saying screw it and ending up running all the cables on the outside anyways.  I'm still not even a fan of electronic shifters as I feel it's unnecessary added complication.

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

I'm used to trying to fish internal wiring through tubes with a magnet only to on occasion saying screw it and ending up running all the cables on the outside anyways.  I'm still not even a fan of electronic shifters as I feel it's unnecessary added complication.

And now add a MOTOR to the list!

Honestly though, Di2 is MORE complicated in some regards, but having run it for two years now on both my Tarmac and Roubaix, it is INSANELY better in many many ways.  Some may be attributable to the change from 10sp to 11sp, and would be improvements in both mechanical & electronic (shaping of teeth, ramps, chain, FD cage shape, etc), but I have never had such smooth and quick shifting.  I used to think my 10sp DA setup was sublime, and now I can't think of a reason to use mechanical again. I would 100% recommend it to anyone on a road bike.  Probably to anyone on any type of bike, but having not put any miles on a Di2 MTB, I can't vouch for its benefits/weaknesses on muddy or wet or rocky terrain.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And now add a MOTOR to the list!

Honestly though, Di2 is MORE complicated in some regards, but having run it for two years now on both my Tarmac and Roubaix, it is INSANELY better in many many ways.  Some may be attributable to the change from 10sp to 11sp, and would be improvements in both mechanical & electronic (shaping of teeth, ramps, chain, FD cage shape, etc), but I have never had such smooth and quick shifting.  I used to think my 10sp DA setup was sublime, and now I can't think of a reason to use mechanical again. I would 100% recommend it to anyone on a road bike.  Probably to anyone on any type of bike, but having not put any miles on a Di2 MTB, I can't vouch for its benefits/weaknesses on muddy or wet or rocky terrain.

Tom

Probably a similar experience when going from friction shifting to indexed.

• 2 weeks later...

Fed-up locals are setting electric scooters on fire and burying them at sea

They've been crammed into toilets, tossed off balconies and set on fire. They’ve even been adorned with dangling bags of dog droppings.

As cities like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills struggle to control a rapid proliferation of electric pay-per-minute scooters, some residents are taking matters into their own hands and waging a guerrilla war against the devices. These vandals are destroying or desecrating the vehicles in disturbingly imaginative ways, and celebrating their illegal deeds on social media — in full view of authorities and the public....

When Hassan Galedary of Culver City sees a Bird scooter, a knot in his stomach begins to twist and his teeth clench, he said. The 32-year-old film producer describes the sensation as one of “violent bitterness.”

“I hate Birds more than anyone,” Galedary said. “They suck. People who ride them suck.”

He loathes the scooters so much that he waged what he calls an “insurgency” against them, tossing the contraptions into trash cans on Abbott Kinney Boulevard and down the Culver City Stairs. He even designed a T-shirt of a chick perched on a scooter being shot in the head. Many of his anti-scooter antics have been featured on the Bird Graveyard account.

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

This needs to be reported to @Razors Edge, immediately!

That dude -  Hassan Galedary -  needs to be institutionalized.

But the Post did have an article recently on these sorts of things.  It is totally unrelated to the OP, but it is an interesting problem.

image.thumb.png.ee0bb9206b905c77cb04ce55797bfc8c.png

Tom